Hi I'm Travis.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: Travis
Trailer: In the market
AZ
Hi I'm Travis....

Hello everyone! I am Travis and I'm interested in the Scamp 13! I have been looking at these trailers for a while and I just found this site today! First, I want to say this community seems extremely helpful and very nice!

I do have a question. From everything I have seen I should be able to tow the Scamp 13" without too much issue with my Ford Escape. Does this seem about right? Ford Escape tow capacity is 2000 lbs. The Scamp 13" seems to be roughly 1400 lbs. I should be good to go right?

Anyway, glad to be here and I hope to own the trailer of my (current) dreams soon!
DaddyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTrav View Post
Hello everyone! I am Travis and I'm interested in the Scamp 13! I have been looking at these trailers for a while and I just found this site today! First, I want to say this community seems extremely helpful and very nice!

I do have a question. From everything I have seen I should be able to tow the Scamp 13" without too much issue with my Ford Escape. Does this seem about right? Ford Escape tow capacity is 2000 lbs. The Scamp 13" seems to be roughly 1400 lbs. I should be good to go right?

Anyway, glad to be here and I hope to own the trailer of my (current) dreams soon!

I suggest that you look at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html These are weights of the axle and the tongue, then combined as the trailer entered a campground, at least most of them are. Roughly 1400 lbs is probably a bit low. Mine loaded for camping weighs 1700 +180lbs of tongue weight that makes 1880 total. Pretty close to your 2000lb limit.

I don't have a bathroom, an AC or hot water heater.

Good luck with your hunt.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Great points by Byron. You can get a Scamp that is pretty simple (no water tanks, no frig, no AC, no heat, no hot water), or you can get one with everything. Obviously there is a huge difference in weights. Manufacturers do us no favors by listing make believe dry weights that have no relationship with reality.

Some Ford Escapes have a tow rating of 1500 pounds. It depends on the motor. Unless you have the Ecoboost version, looks like the limit is 1500 pounds. Exceeding the capability of the tow vehicle is up to each owner.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Travis, from up in the White Mountains!

Your answer is a maybe. What year and drivetrain is your Escape? How many people and how much cargo will you carry in the vehicle while towing? What other restrictions does your owner's manual place on towing in addition to the 2000# rating (like tongue weight, brakes, and frontal area)?

Tow ratings only factor in the driver and no cargo. Additional people and/or gear reduce available towing capacity. Since your moniker says "Daddy," I am suspecting the extra people may make this marginal or out of reach.

We are four and tow our no-frills 13' Scamp with a Honda Pilot (2011 2WD V6, rated 3500#). Fully loaded in the mountains and canyons, often with headwinds, I'd call it just adequate. Don't know where in Arizona you live, but if you're anywhere near the White Mountains and want to have a look, send me a PM.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

AZ
Thank Byron, Bill and Jon! I do have the Eco-boost. My user manual says 2000 lbs (thankfully). I will have to get a good weight on the trailer to make sure it will be ok. I think I should be fine at least to pick up the trailer (if I do get to purchase it) and bring it home. It will be just me and I will travel light. I will start looking for a used vehicle just for towing/camping purposes.

I do have 2 younger kids, 7 and 9, and my wife. I actually do live in AZ in the Phoenix area. Do you have the model with the bunk beds in the front? If so, how well does that work with your kids?

Thank you all for the help and information!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...I do have 2 younger kids, 7 and 9, and my wife. I actually do live in AZ in the Phoenix area. Do you have the model with the bunk beds in the front? If so, how well does that work with your kids?...
Yes, we have layout 1 with front bunks. Our kids were 6 and 9 when we bought our Scamp used. I added a PVC safety rail to the top of the bunk posts. It's an easy but necessary modification, and I've never understood why Scamp doesn't supply one. The weight limit on the upper bunk is a bit of a mystery (nothing published; Scamp told me 120# on the phone).

The problem we had to deal with was the size of the main bed. We have the standard dinette, which is only 45" wide. My wife felt crowded with me in the bed. After some trial and error, we ended up with this arrangement. My wife shares the dinette bed with our younger child. They sleep head-to-toe (opposite directions) in separate, tapered sleeping bags. I take the lower bunk (tight on headroom but otherwise comfortable), and the older child has the upper bunk. The kids are now 12 and 15, and it still works because the older is petite and under the 120# weight limit.

Starting 2014, Scamp began offering a "big bed" option on their standard 13' models. It shaves 9" off the galley and closet and adds it to the dinette. 54" gets you to a true double bed. Something to consider.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

AZ
That does sound cramped! We currently tent camp so we know about being too close! I think we could do the same thing you guys did. I have no issue with using the bunk bed.

We would like to buy one with the hopes of keeping it until the kids grow up and then using it for just my wife and I to do some traveling.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
That does sound cramped!...
Wouldn't describe it as cramped, just snug. My wife, who likes her space, declared herself very comfortable once we adopted the head-to-toe arrangement. In daytime mode (dinette and sofa) there's plenty of room to lounge on a rainy afternoon or chilly evening. Storing bedding and folding everything takes a few minutes morning and evening (kids stow their own sleeping bags, made easier with inexpensive Walmart duffles). We're out exploring most of the time anyway. We cook and eat outside as well- don't like the idea of food smells in our bedroom, especially in bear country.

An alternative as the kids grow is to toss them outside in a tent or in the tow vehicle. That could be something to consider as you shop vehicles. Our Pilot seats fold to make a flat sleeping area for an average adult or a couple of kids. We've done both depending on weather, but in the end we've decided it's simpler to all pack in.

As another alternative, a small 8' tent trailer gives you more space with a similar towing weight and lower profile. I grew up with tent trailers, and the wide open feeling and ventilation are nice. So is not having to fold up beds and bedding for daytime use. That's what I set out looking for. Several in Phoenix were sold before I could get there. Then the Scamp showed up nearby and my wife liked the idea of solid walls, even if it meant less space.

When the rain comes and the wind blows, we feel so much more comfortable in the Scamp. Never having to fold up a wet tent trailer... priceless!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #9

AZ
We have thought about the tent idea. Might still be a few years. Both kids are kind of scaredy cats lol.

We used to have a tent trailer a few years ago and that worked well. We did the same thing, where we cooked outside and only used it for sleeping and the occasional rainy day. Plus we could setup easy-ups and have more space and still be covered.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
We have thought about the tent idea. Might still be a few years. Both kids are kind of scaredy cats lol.

We used to have a tent trailer a few years ago and that worked well. We did the same thing, where we cooked outside and only used it for sleeping and the occasional rainy day. Plus we could setup easy-ups and have more space and still be covered.
Travis,

Welcome to the forum.

Tent trailers typically feel really spacious inside when they are opened up as they expand and often have large window panels. In contrast, molded fiberglass trailers can seem really small inside.

I hope you will take the time to look at some fiberglass trailers in advance of buying. You can do this through factory referrals, going to rallies, or finding someone on the forums that will let you look at theirs.

Good luck!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Travis and have fun in your search!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+100 to John's comment about sleeping in opposite directions. Its amazing how much roomer a bed becomes if each person sleeps with their head positioned against a different wall. So person #1 has person #2 feet beside them and visa versa. Sounds weird, but it makes any size bed LARGER! It really works!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #13

AZ
We will definitely be looking at all our options for a bit before we purchase. I will absolutely try to visit one in person before I buy.

I think we are going to buy a truck from a friend of mine. It will be a 2003 Toyota Tundra with 7000 lbs towing capacity. Should be good to go after that!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #14

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We towed a basic Scamp13 (STD moulded Layout 1 with 54” bed) with our 2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EB for several years with no problems. We did use the transmission “Sport” mode to try to keep the RPMs in the 2,000 range for best torque. We averaged 22 mpg from the KC metro to California and back.

Good luck & safe travels!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Hi I'm Travis....

Not a Ford expert, but I think there are a couple of different EB engines in recent Escapes, some with tow ratings as high as 3500#. It's important to compare apples with apples.

@Travis: The Tundra opens up some larger molded trailers for you. Surprisingly, beds for four people can still be a challenge.

Have you considered Scamp's small fifth wheel-style trailer? That even has room for your kids' friends! Because the demand is lower, you can often find a pretty good deal on a Scamp 19.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 AM   #16

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Looking for
Pennsylvania
Hi Travis, I have a 13’ scamp with the bunk beds in the front. My wife and I have 2 daughters 6 and 9 years old and the bunk set up is just perfect for them. They really enjoy having their own spots to sleep in.
Pocket_jon is offline   Reply With Quote