Hi! Looking for advice! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Sionainn
Trailer: Shopping
California
Hi! Looking for advice!

We have finally decided to take the leap and get a trailer. I’m looking that the scamp 13 or 16 with bathroom. And possibly the Casita liberty?
Having the ability to shower and bathe dog would be really helpful. But if you can sell me on options without bathroom I’m all ears!!
Wondering about tow vehicles for these. Is a 1500lb tow capacity to low for the 13 ft? I know it is for a 16ft.
Where do you put bicycles?
It will be my daughter and I, our dog and bird 90% of the time. Husband might join occasionally.
So I’m torn with the 13 ft or 16. I think with a kid it would be nicer to have extra bed so we don’t have to always share a bed. But I like the size of the 13.

Also. What kind of solar set up would you recommend?

Thanks!
Teegh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Good choice but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegh13 View Post
We have finally decided to take the leap and get a trailer. I’m looking that the scamp 13 or 16 with bathroom.
Also. What kind of solar set up would you recommend?Thanks!
Good choice but learn where the drain filter is and clean the hair out now and then.
For my solar I just use a portable 100 watt panel, that way I can park in the shade and place the panel in the sun and re aim it as the day passes.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

Name: DAN
Trailer: CASITA SPIRIT
California
Go for the Toilet option...

Considering that we are in the midst of a nationwide pandemic...
Public restrooms are at the top of the list of disease vectors.
Even without our current situation you are going to wish you had a bathroom...
The first time a porta potty blows up in your faceup will be converted for life !
I quit truck camping and made the leap back to RVs and to my Casita Spirit 17 for the very reason of our current health situation.
Being a camp host veteran...believe me you dont want to use Campground facilities now !
And yes you will need 2500-3000lb towing capacity with the 16' trailers....
I would recommend Toyota Tacoma as the best small tow vehicle on the road.
The small SUVs can also do the job.
The issue is not having enough power to get moving...its having enough of a vehicle to stop safely !
CHICO DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Even a 13 footer with a bathroom is going to exceed your tow limit. Plenty of discussions on this topic.

Solar is all about what you plan to run off solar capacity. The more you want to run, the more solar capacity you need. For minimal stuff a 100 watt portable is adequate, For a lot of stuff, even 1000 watts may not be enough. I met a guy with 2000 watts of solar on his small trailer. But he was running everything from a mini-spilt heat pump to a compressor refrigerator.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Heavy weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICO DAN View Post
And yes you will need 2500-3000lb towing capacity with the 16' trailers....

The issue is not having enough power to get moving...its having enough of a vehicle to stop safely !
I missed that part, never trust the weight given by the seller unless they have a certified scale ticket to prove it, and only trust tow capacity given on the tags of YOUR tow vehicle.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #6

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
There are “dry” porta potties that could help you with the issue of a 13 ft without a bathroom. They don’t blow up in your face, are environmentally more acceptable than many chemical based toilets, and you will never need to dump or pump out a black tank or cassette.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I missed that part, never trust the weight given by the seller unless they have a certified scale ticket to prove it, and only trust tow capacity given on the tags of YOUR tow vehicle.
Typical source of weight information is “I was told”. This equals I have no idea. Pretty much every truckstop has a certified scale. And for under $15 you can get an accurate weight.

As an engineer I was taught: “in god we trust, everyone else needs data!!”
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #8

Name: Steven
Trailer: '17 Casita SD
North Carolina
My thought is that you don't want to put yourself in a situation with an under-powered tow vehicle. If the fully-loaded weight of a given trailer even approaches the towing capacity of your vehicle, I would reconsider one or both sides of the equation.

For me, having the wet bath in the Casita is one of the best features. Even without a pandemic going on, it's great not to have to rely on bath houses and portable toilets.
sy48497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #9

Name: revrblue
Trailer: 13 Scamp
Florida
13 scamp w/bath and 17 Liberty

Hi I own both trailers I tow the scamp 13 bath with a 2012 toyota corolla with no problem. The 13 scamp sleeps two but not three. That is why I have Casita 17 Liberty which will sleep three no problem. But it weights 3000 pounds loaded and requires my 4runner or Promaster van to tow. Hope this helps.
revrblue is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hi I'm T.H. | Scamp »