Hi My name is Hannah - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Name: Hannah
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Hi My name is Hannah

Hello everyone,

I just brought home a new to me beachcomber B15 trailer in need of some tlc. I have been doing a lot of reading and it looks like I have quite the journey ahead of me. If there is anyone in and around Calgary, Alberta that can give me some tips for sourcing fibreglass material, paint, a good welder, a fair axle/carriage servicer or anything else anyone can think of, I’d be keen to hear about it! Any chance anyone has a manual?
Mspotentialseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspotentialseer View Post
Hello everyone,

I just brought home a new to me beachcomber B15 trailer in need of some tlc. I have been doing a lot of reading and it looks like I have quite the journey ahead of me. If there is anyone in and around Calgary, Alberta that can give me some tips for sourcing fibreglass material, paint, a good welder, a fair axle/carriage servicer or anything else anyone can think of, I’d be keen to hear about it! Any chance anyone has a manual?
Welcome to FGRV Hannah. There may be something in the sites document center for a manual but most are pretty bare of info as any options are covered by the manufacturer. How about some pics of your B15?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Fiberglass material is very easy to find. Just go to an auto parts supply store, boating supply store or a regular hardware store. They all carry fiberglass repair materials.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Only in Canada, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspotentialseer View Post
Hello everyone,

Hannah:

Depending on how much fiberglass you need, good ol' Canadian Tire sells fiberglass repair kits that work pretty well. Some have both mat and cloth, others just have the resin & hardener. They also have Bondo for other repairs.

I have used these on my Trillium 4500.

Curt in Edmonton
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
If you get Bondo, get Bondo Hair, or the kind that states specifically for fiberglass patching and fairing. It's designed for using on fiberglass. Also, watch some YouTube videos about working with fiberglass repairs...there are many available (often using boats) and show you great techniques and how the two different kinds work.

See the thread, "Fear of Fiberglassing" here on FGRV for some pointers and a newbie's learning curve. Lots of other fiberglass threads here, too...LOTS!

BEST
Kai
Old 07-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Welcome, you aren't alone. Just in the past day or two I recall someone saying a discarded shower stall could be a good source of fiberglass. Some areas have stores for second hand building materials, like Habitat For Humanity's Re-Store. The soap dish faces the inside, I think.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We found a free "all-in-one" bus/van bathroom on Craigslist and cut up, it was great for all the larger holes in Peanut.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hana, I am in Calgary. There are several other members in Calgary. Lots of help available.

The Beachcomber manual is in the Document Center:
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Beachcomber
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #9

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
Welcome Hannah
I see somebody suggested Canadian tire for fiberglass. NO NO and No
Do not buy folded fiberglass mat. You cannot get the wrinkle out of it where it has been folded. A boat store I found is the best place to go. Also make sure you get the proper resin that is compatible with your trailers fiberglass. Yes this is a learning curve.
It is interesting and you will get through it. Do one thing at a time. Don't think of the whole project all the time. Do one thing and move onto the next.
Do some planning before you start. If redoing the whole trailer you might want to change the layout a bit as in some people when redoing a 13 boler take out the front bunk and make this a dinette. Go for it and enjoy the journey.
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #10

Alberta
Wow, such great information! Thanks everyone. I see that uploading photos isn’t very straight forward from my phone? I guess I’ll have to use my laptop?
I just went out and bought a fibreglass repair kit as well as the glass thread stuff in a can from Canadian tire, mastercraft brand.

One step at a time... my first step was to replace a shattered vent cover, where I saw thousands of “steps” cracks all over the place in the gel coat... I don’t think that there is a single square inch of intact clean painted fibreglass ☹️.

I looked closer at my beachcomber and I think I may need more than a “kit”. The under carriage is showing quite a bit of exposed fibreglass. I think it was pulled over lots of gravel roads, because all
The propane lines look pretty shot up (not much left).

I’ll get some photos up as soon as I figure it out!

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #11

Alberta
my beachcomber B15

Here are a few pictures. I didn't go out to get a good series, this is just what I had from the PO and some randoms that I took recently.

I will have to do some youtube-ing to see what to do about the areas that look like the last photo in the wheel well (there are many of these "bare spots" under the trailer. I've already watched a few showing to grind the crack grooves open... that seems very daunting, as this trailer has a gazillion cracks!
Attached Thumbnails
55279021634__B77453D9-2382-474D-A71F-58101BABF002.jpg   55279150080__CDCB05B0-6BAC-4300-A626-0A052ED90ABA.jpg  

IMG_1071.JPG   IMG_1072.JPG  

IMG_1068.JPG   IMG_1069.JPG  

IMG_1070.JPG   IMG_1074.JPG  

55279043029__A8609CCB-25E8-4473-9B60-C295F52561FD.jpg   55279041922__1474B730-74C2-41B1-9F44-EF3423470A5E.jpg  

Old 07-10-2018, 01:26 AM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Looking at those photos you will certainly be putting in quite a lot of hours filling and fairing. You should be able to get through several audio books before you are done with that job. That helps distract you from the tedium of the tasks.

Preparing the small cracks for filler. Diamonds are a girls best friend. As in a Dremel motor with diamond coated burrs chucked into it. Also a fiber
cutoff wheel disc which turns the Dremel into a mini angle grinder. When doing a lot of hours of work it makes a real difference to not have to hang onto a heavy tool that is typically a poor fit in a woman's hands.

Working underneath...roll up a towel, wrap with some duct tape and put it under your neck for support while you work.

You will also need good goggles that fit snugly to your face. Do not use the kind that have a lot of small holes in them for venting, the fiberglass dust will go into them when working underneath the trailer. I learned that the hard way. Instead get the version in the image below that has a capped vent on them. I bought my pair at Lowes. Before you remove the goggles, brush the dust out of your hair and off your forehead. Then bend over while taking the goggles off. That keeps debris from falling off the top of the goggles and also falling out of your hair down into your eyes. Another lesson learned the hard way.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #13

Alberta
Great tips, thank you.

I will be sure to use my dremel and I have many diamond and carbide burs. I’m wondering if after I pressure wash and start grinding, is there a way to clean the areas that are to be filled to ensure that no dirt or dust gets trapped in the repair?