Hi My name is Long - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

Name: Long
Trailer: Currently Shopping
CA
Hi My name is Long

Hi everyone!

My name is Long and I have a family of 4 (two kids ages 4 and 2). Was looking for a 13ft scamp but dream is to find a pristine uhaul ct-13. I've found 2 the past week in excellent condition: however, they do not have bunk beds.. Which defeats the whole purpose of buying camper to take the kids out.

I'm still thinking about pulling the trigger and redoing the bunk bed. Is it hard to find the bunk bed hinge? Would I be able to buy it from someone or somewhere? I'll also need the cushions but it's the hinges I'm most concern with. Any advise would greatly be appreciated.
Longn46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Pristine Uhaul may be hard to find. Many are missing the bunk bed pieces. The upper bunk hinge is a long piano type hinge that has a offset on one side.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0222.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #3

CA
Thanks for quick reply. I wish I can find that piece somewhere. I’ve scoured the forums and found the pdf template for the bed but the hinge seems to be the biggest problem. I’ve found a uhaul ct-13 I’m in love with.. everything is working and looks great. Only issue is no bunk beds for the kids.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longn46 View Post
Thanks for quick reply. I wish I can find that piece somewhere. I’ve scoured the forums and found the pdf template for the bed but the hinge seems to be the biggest problem.
Perhaps you can find what you need at a woodworking store: https://woodworker.com/full-wrap-con...su-123-980.asp

OR, install a some of these, they're called a Chest Hinge
Attached Thumbnails
ChestHinge.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
There are specialty catalogs in most woodworking specialty shops and in genuine lumberyards where someone has an appreciation for furniture construction. Also specialty hardware stores associates with lock and key businesses. I would buy the trailer if I liked it and then concentrate on the bunks. You will figure something out or somebody will have one you can buy. Always believe “it’s out there” a friend of mine just bought a water hose for a 1928 Model A ford. New in the box. Sticker was on it with proper number for a 28. Believe.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #6

CA
Thank you for all the valuable information. The exterior is a 10/10 to me. The issue is the bunk beds and he said the prvious owner removed the interior electrical outlets except one which was a night light. I think I'm an ok diyer and woodworker, but electrical is not my forte. Would you guys think this is an easy fix/upgrade?
Old 08-30-2019, 05:43 AM   #7

New York
The Uhaul CT13 originally had only one 110 outlet which was located on the rear of the upper cabinets. There was also a little push button breaker on that outlet and it was for the whole trailer. The original electrical system is outdated and pretty much useless. I've seen some photos of bunk beds that others have built that are really nice but were permanent and eliminated the front seating which was uncomfortable anyway.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
For my take, and I know it doesn't answer your bunk bed question, but I'm just thinking "outside the box." Why not just get the kids a small tent that they could set up next to the trailer and sleep in that. It would free up the inside of the trailer for you and the wife, and frankly, I've never met a kid yet who wouldn't want to sleep in a tent over a trailer. It's the fun factor. Just sayin'.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #9

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Burro
California
Possible hinge to use

Hi Long, I just did a google search for "offset piano hinge" and found something that I think might work for you (for ~$30): Stainless Steel Offset Piano Hinge. Alternatively, you could get a regular, heavy duty piano hinge and make friends with you local community college welding instructor. The shop there should have a brake (sheet metal bending) and you can put a long, even bend, at your preferred angle, along your hinge -- in about five seconds.

Also, I've completely redone the electrical in my Burro, and if you keep it simple, it's not as daunting as you might think. This forum has great advice, and you can learn a whole lot. You can also take a course. Pasadena City College, here in SoCal has an electrical technology class that will give you the confidence to tackle anything your uHaul will every through your way.

Seriously though. If you have found your perfect UT-13, get it! and then go from there.

(And yes, I do work at a community college -- though not PCC. Best. Job. Ever!)

Best of luck, Jenny
Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi My name is Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
For my take, and I know it doesn't answer your bunk bed question, but I'm just thinking "outside the box." Why not just get the kids a small tent that they could set up next to the trailer and sleep in that. It would free up the inside of the trailer for you and the wife, and frankly, I've never met a kid yet who wouldn't want to sleep in a tent over a trailer. It's the fun factor. Just sayin'.
At 2 and 4 years old, I'd say they're a bit young for their own tent. When my two were old enough they enjoyed the novelty of the tent for a couple of trips, then they wanted back inside the trailer. It was nice while it lasted!

Bunks are great.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:29 AM   #11

CA
Wow.. This forum is unbelievable. You guys are so helpful. There is this guy selling a uhual camper without bunk.. But I see the bunk bed hinge there.. He said hell think about just selling me the hinge.. So fingers cross

Also the camper I'm looking at is missing the big dining table that turns into the double bed. That should be easy fix right? I know I can make it out of plywood.. But do you guys know what the table is made out of?
Attached Thumbnails
20160407_160400.jpg  
Old 08-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #12

CA
So here is the camper last year when he bought it and it's current condition. He said it needs a lot of tlc. I did a screenshot close up.. Thus can be cleaned up right? Doesn't look permanent?
Attached Thumbnails
received_465676560951084.jpeg   received_469884690520466.jpg  

Screenshot_20190830-101342.jpg  
Old 08-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #13

New York
The original table was fiberglass but not all that sturdy for sleeping on so we replaced it with plywood and left the rear as a bed all the time. The seating area fiberglass is kinda thin and flexible also and some areas I reinforced. The outer shell also is thin and can be pushed in easily in some areas, mainly the sides toward the front. We have sold our Uhaul and all the parts went with it.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:56 AM   #14

New York
Not sure of what I'm seeing in the pictures, but by the way it shines it probably had the floor wax put on it and it is peeling or deteriorating. Using Zep floor wax is popular with fiberglass camper owners to get a brilliant shine but I've heard it can yellow over time or peel and then has to be stripped off and reapplied.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: Uhaul
Michigan
Where are you located? I have a UHAUL-13, 1984, WITH bunks, cushions, really good shape. Thinking about asking $5K. Located in west Michigan, near the lake.
rsnide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
In your last pic, it appears there are stains directly on the gelcoat, and behind the wax coating. You may be able to remove those stains after stripping the wax. Could try various cleaners discussed in many threads on this forum.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #17

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnide View Post
Where are you located? I have a UHAUL-13, 1984, WITH bunks, cushions, really good shape. Thinking about asking $5K. Located in west Michigan, near the lake.
I live in California but let me Im you
Old 09-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #18

Michigan
MI is a long way from CA. I have a daughter in OLYMPIA<, WA.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #19

Michigan
Not my thread. Reply to Long in CA.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #20

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium 1976
Montana
See my post for Trillium for sale. It has bunk beds.
Susanwplatt
SusanPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote