Hi: New From Minnesota - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Whoops! Sorry Donna, I didn't read page 2 before I posted what you already took care of. Karalyn, I agree I like the Casita's better too. Good Luck.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Different strokes for different folks. There are tons of Scamp owners that are perfectly satisfied with their choice... and it IS all about choice. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for and are 100% satisfied with it Karalyn! IMHO ANY molded fiberglass trailer is 100% better than ANY sticky. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you take the southern way I10 you will avoid most of the mountains, I40 has one range around the Grand Canyon, Williams, Az. area. This would be the easiest for you.
Thanks for the tip. I am planning our trip this week and will look for this highway. The old Toyota trucks don't have much power (105 hp) but run forever and built tuff. I am looking forward to spring to get it and the Scamp out of winter storage. Regards.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We'll be making that trip in our 1990 13 foot Scamp this August, but will be starting from Arizona to Monteray up the coast into Canada, back down into Idaho and take 15 back down to home. Maybe we'll pass each other on the way. We will pull it with a Dodge 2500 Diesel or a Hemi powered Wrangler.
I wish I had a hemi. Brings back some fond memories when I was a teenager.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I traded my Harley for my Hemi Dodge Ram, on my last towing I only averaged 11-13 mpg with gas going up that is not good. While not towing I average 15 but on a good day can get close to 18 until the urge to hear the Hemi roar, it drops back to 13.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Different strokes for different folks. There are tons of Scamp owners that are perfectly satisfied with their choice... and it IS all about choice. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for and are 100% satisfied with it Karalyn! IMHO ANY molded fiberglass trailer is 100% better than ANY sticky. YMMV
My wife and I have looked at several brands of trailers this winter. We have a 16 ft Scamp and thought "Well maybe just a little bit bigger or a little fancier
or a few more options " Then we look at the cost to upgrade and what we would gain for that cost. The cost of upgrading will buy a lot of fuel and as gas prices rise the mileage we get towing our Scamp looks pretty good. Our Scamp is not perfect but serves our purpose and it's PAID for! If choices were free it sure would be a lot easier.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have made a round trip of the USA 5 times and actually are in the process again, presently in NM. Normally we go west across the northern third of the country and cross the rockies in MT.

We have taken both the Interstate across the northern third of the country and Route 2. The Interstate is never a problem because there is not that much traffic and people can always pass you. We never drive over 60 and are never holding up other people.

Route 2 was not an issue either as regards to traffic, we just pull over to let people who are working pass, they always appreciate it.

One of the big issues is head winds, particularly in the Dakotas; today in NM it's gusting to 80 mph. We went to a restuarant for lunch and could barelyopen the door to get out.

We do carry the Mountain Road Directory with us and use it when we're not on Interstates to be forwarned of dangerous sections. It's never the uphill sections that are a concern but rather the down hill sections. You do not want to toast your trucks brakes. We plan ahead and tend to down shift for long hills even though our trailer has brakes.

As to going up the big mountains, we tow a Scamp 16 with a 4 cylinder Honda CRV, we've never had a problem.. Though the mountains are tall, you usually start off at at least 5,000 feet, for example once you reach the NE/CO border you're at that elevation and everything looks flat.

As well road builders do not try to take you over the highest peaks, they arre looking to make the lowest, easiest road possible.

As to holding up traffic, on Interstates you wont because of the multiple lanes and the typical 18 wheeler is not charging up these Mountains either.

As to coastal hairpins we have driven the WA, OR and CA coasts without issue. It is a beautiful road. Thlough we generally drive it in the spring or fall, they have a lot of pull overs to let others pass.

My general rule is to take it easy, be courteous to other drivers and most importantly stop often to enjoy the sites, the west coast ride is beautiful.

Additionally, I will say we've towed on a lot more severe terrain the a drive across the country with our Honda towing one of our trailers and have always managed to make it without incident.

I don't think you said when you're going, a factor, or if your truck is a standard or automatic or if you have a transmission cooler if it's an automatic.

Wishing you the best of times.
Norm and Ginny and everyone else. I do have a manual and will downshift on those downgrades.

We are planning to take the trip in the middle of May over a 6 week period. We are in no hurry, courteus to other drivers, and stop a lot to see the sights. I am glad there are plenty of turn offs to let traffic pass. We are going to head down 101 from Seattle area to Coos Bay on the way to Monterey. We camped there on our way to San Francisco on our honeymoon in 1973.

We are so excited about going.

Regards.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
390 hp

This thread is interesting. I can understand if people need 390 HP if they're using their truck for some significant task other than towing a small trailer.

Out west everybody seems to be driving a large. powerful truck but they seem to be working trucks, farmers, ranchers, oil riggers, pipeline people.... people who might secondarily use their working truck to pull a trailer.

I certainly can understand fullfilling childhood (hemi) memories, I once bought a Porsche 911 for that purpose. I think I've reach4d the time where being able to tow efficiently trumps the need to fill old memories.

As well I do realize and salute that most everyone on this site is still working, much younger and can afford to be more extravagant then me.

Keep having fun......an early mentor told me the purpose of life is to have fun...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Norm and Ginny and everyone else. I do have a manual and will downshift on those downgrades.

We are planning to take the trip in the middle of May over a 6 week period. We are in no hurry, courteus to other drivers, and stop a lot to see the sights. I am glad there are plenty of turn offs to let traffic pass. We are going to head down 101 from Seattle area to Coos Bay on the way to Monterey. We camped there on our way to San Francisco on our honeymoon in 1973.

Rod,

We'll be out that way during that time period as well. We're going to the July Oregon Rally and will be camping in WA in May.

Wishing you safe travels. You should do just fine. We think there's an advantage to a manual transmission in that you have full control and that in general, manual transmissions are more reliable. (PS ..I'm no mechanic but it seems to be the case for us..we've had plenty of automatics fail but not one standard.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #30

Well, we figured our our entire trip and it is about 5500 miles. With the price of gas on the west coast exceeding $4 a gallon and forecast to continue to go higher in May, we are thinking about delaying the trip a year. Looks like we will be heading up to northern MN more this year.

Regards.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #31

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:

Even if prices dip to $3 a gallon next year, assuming you get 21 mpg, the difference in price between $3 and $4 a gallon is about $200 over your entire trip. If prices went to $5 the difference between $3 and 5 is around $400 over the entire trip.

Obviously this is your decision, but I've seen all too often a choice delayed is an opportunity lost. I suspect the value of the trip to your present expectations and the memories you will create far exceeds the worse case I can imagine of a $400 difference at $5.
Norm, I heartily agree with this part of your post. (The first part, not so much. It's always prudent to verify your primary news source's facts before posting.) The memories of travels with my family of origin (with my mother and cousin to Europe when I was 15) and then my own family of three sons (car trips out west to visit grandparents, not to mention camping trips throughout Minnesota), are great because we shared them together. It's a lifelong bond. Rod, if you can afford the difference, I'd go for it.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Rod,

In general the only thing we delay trips for is a family emergency.

There is no guarantee that gas prices will go lower.

Even if prices dip to $3 a gallon next year, assuming you get 21 mpg, the difference in price between $3 and $4 a gallon is about $200 over your entire trip. If prices went to $5 the difference between $3 and 5 is around $400 over the entire trip.

Obviously this is your decision, but I've seen all too often a choice delayed is an opportunity lost. I suspect the value of the trip to your present expectations and the memories you will create far exceeds the worse case I can imagine of a $400 difference at $5.

Three years ago, per Gas Buddy, in Jan. 2009 gas averaged $1.61 a gallon today it's $3.71. Certainly I don't like it but compared to the value to us of the travel, it's not significant. Only heaven knows how long we have, but we're old enough to know that life can be over any day. Life is truely short. The shared memories we have created over our 11 years continually bring us joy.

I hope this post isn't too intrusive. It's purpose is to provide an old guy's perspective. Always hoping the best for you.
Maybe we will still go after your comments. We raised our 3 boys to have lots of fun and guess we should follow our teachings. Thanks for the uplifting comments.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #33

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Ron P, we are considering a similar trip only from the other end, we live in Wi, then to St. Louis, Texas, Az, Nv and a reverse route of yours. Wife s thinking about taking a job at the local state park which could curtail our plans but nothing is certain yet. We have a 2001 Ranger to pull our new Scamp 13, good luck, if all things come together maybe we could meet up and compare notes.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #34

We spend a lot of time up on the south shore of Lake Superior, more specifically in Herbster's Clover campground and also in Washburn's Memorial Park campground. It would be fun to link up. We plan to drive up from Stillwater several times this year.

My wife is really twisting my arm to make our big trip to the west coast! Ouch!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #35

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
life is short....we all know that. personally, we do not delay or cancel trips for the cost of gas. like norm and ginny, only a family crisis will stop us. not a trip goes by that we are not thankful that we own a small fiberglass trailer....a big rig WOULD keep us home because the $$ to haul it would be ginormous.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote