Hi: New From Minnesota - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi: New From Minnesota

Hi everyone. I have been looking at this site for about a year now after we bought a like new 1995 Scamp 13 footer from a neighbor. He owned it since new and used it only once a year for a week and then stored it inside a heated garage. I put new tires on it (for a trip to Savanna last year) and added a water pressure system so that we can take hot showers using a tankless water heater. It is fully equipped and we love it.

I averaged 21 mpg pulling it with my old 1987 Toyota truck (only has 67k miles on it) at 60-65 mph to Savannah, GA.

We are making a huge trip this year to the west coast, hitting Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Seattle area, down the coast (stopping at several places) to Monterey then onward to Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and home.

I have begun to plan the trip and will be posting some questions. My only concern with this trip is the truck does not have much power for getting over big mountains. No problem going over the Appalachian Mts but the Rockies worry me and hair pin roads on the coast. I am mainly worried about slowing up traffic.

I will add a picture of rig once I figure out how.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
1995 Scamp 13 foot.jpg  
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Welcome , Hope you enjoy your Scamp as much as we have . I grew up and spent my life in St Paul Minnesota and miss my hometown . I now live in Wisconsin but still am a Minnesota citizen and call Minnesota home . I promised my 87 year old mother I would stay a Minnesota resident and not embarrass the family by changing to wisconsin
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
My concern would be brakes on the trailer. You did not mention if you have them. We sure feel more comfortable knowing they are back there.

Hope someone with a similar tow veichle weighs in.

Be sure to check out the MN gatherings in June and Sept. Would be nice to meet you.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

Steve. All of my wifes relation are on the west coast so we get teased a bit living back in the Tundra. We are going to see a lot of old friends on the trip. I have three boys and all of them live in warmer climates now so we are traveling from coast to coast now. My youngest has his eyes on our little Scamp and wants to buy it when we upgrade in a few years. Take care. Rod.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
My concern would be brakes on the trailer. You did not mention if you have them. We sure feel more comfortable knowing they are back there.

Hope someone with a similar tow veichle weighs in.

Be sure to check out the MN gatherings in June and Sept. Would be nice to meet you.

Nancy
Thanks Nancy. The 1/2 ton 4wd truck is rated at 3500 lbs tow with 350 lbs tongue weight. I also pull much heavier loads than the Scamp. I wish, however, for the cheap price the previous owner would have ordered brakes on the trailer even if it is a pretty light trailer. Nothing like coming over a hill at highway speed and the traffic is dead stopped!

I plan to install brakes myself between now and the trip, mainly because we will be fully loaded for the long trip and the extensive driving through the mountains. Not too much to worry about here in Minnesota except deer.

We definitely will be coming to some gatherings. We go up to Duluth several times a year. My wife loves to talk so beware!

It was amazing how many people came over to see us on our trip to Savannah last year. Someone with a huge pusher rig parked next to us and actually ask us where we were going to sleep!

Regards.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We'll be making that trip in our 1990 13 foot Scamp this August, but will be starting from Arizona to Monteray up the coast into Canada, back down into Idaho and take 15 back down to home. Maybe we'll pass each other on the way. We will pull it with a Dodge 2500 Diesel or a Hemi powered Wrangler.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you take the southern way I10 you will avoid most of the mountains, I40 has one range around the Grand Canyon, Williams, Az. area. This would be the easiest for you.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
West Coast Trip

We have made a round trip of the USA 5 times and actually are in the process again, presently in NM. Normally we go west across the northern third of the country and cross the rockies in MT.

We have taken both the Interstate across the northern third of the country and Route 2. The Interstate is never a problem because there is not that much traffic and people can always pass you. We never drive over 60 and are never holding up other people.

Route 2 was not an issue either as regards to traffic, we just pull over to let people who are working pass, they always appreciate it.

One of the big issues is head winds, particularly in the Dakotas; today in NM it's gusting to 80 mph. We went to a restuarant for lunch and could barelyopen the door to get out.

We do carry the Mountain Road Directory with us and use it when we're not on Interstates to be forwarned of dangerous sections. It's never the uphill sections that are a concern but rather the down hill sections. You do not want to toast your trucks brakes. We plan ahead and tend to down shift for long hills even though our trailer has brakes.

As to going up the big mountains, we tow a Scamp 16 with a 4 cylinder Honda CRV, we've never had a problem.. Though the mountains are tall, you usually start off at at least 5,000 feet, for example once you reach the NE/CO border you're at that elevation and everything looks flat.

As well road builders do not try to take you over the highest peaks, they arre looking to make the lowest, easiest road possible.

As to holding up traffic, on Interstates you wont because of the multiple lanes and the typical 18 wheeler is not charging up these Mountains either.

As to coastal hairpins we have driven the WA, OR and CA coasts without issue. It is a beautiful road. Thlough we generally drive it in the spring or fall, they have a lot of pull overs to let others pass.

My general rule is to take it easy, be courteous to other drivers and most importantly stop often to enjoy the sites, the west coast ride is beautiful.

Additionally, I will say we've towed on a lot more severe terrain the a drive across the country with our Honda towing one of our trailers and have always managed to make it without incident.

I don't think you said when you're going, a factor, or if your truck is a standard or automatic or if you have a transmission cooler if it's an automatic.

Wishing you the best of times.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Look there's another Toyota, WELCOME.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Hi Rod, welcome to the forum from another Minnesotan. Looking for another casita here. I have owned both Scamp and Casita. Love the little fiberglass eggs that are easy on gas going down the highway. Enjoy your new to you little camper. :-)

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Welcome

Welcome to the group from ND. I have two Casita's right now...the other half of the family. I say that because the Casita owners are related to the Scamp people. Going to sell the 13 footer in the spring. Karalyn, you said you were looking for another Casita owner?
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #12

Registry
Karalyn, I noticed your post on the Casita forum.
If you don't have an egg yet try this site. There is a Scamp in St. Cloud, Mn. just listed.

You may have to go to the site and register first to see it.
http://www.fiberglas...000-st-cloud-mn

Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I'm not from Minnesota but I don't know how I missed sending you a welcome. So... WELCOME, glad you're here Rod!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #14

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
When are the MN gatherings?
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampBum View Post
When are the MN gatherings?
As posted under "Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets" Minnesota Rallies
you may also want to check surrounding states.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #16

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Thank You!
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Welcome Rod, have a safe trip
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #18

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Welcome from another Minnesotan. Your planned trip sounds wonderful. Hope to meet you at one of the Minnesota gatherings this year.
Take care,
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #19

Registry
ScampBum, check the " Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) area. There in one in Bemidji, June & one in Duluth Sept. as I recall. Also South of Winnipeg that is pretty close.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Hoping I will not have to get another Scamp. I really want a Casita. The Scamp I sold last fall had just about everything I would want, but I was not satisfied. Maybe I am too picky. I am on the lookout for a Casita. Hopefully in another month or two the weather will be good enough to travel to find me one.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote