HI...New member....not sure what will work for me. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
HI...New member....not sure what will work for me.

Hi. I have been tent camping for years, and will retire in a few. I want to travel full-time for 1-2 years around the U.S. I am single. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R that can tow 3000lbs. So I was going to buy a Chalet. But now I am looking at the Escape, because it may be better for traveling with cats. I would have to buy a new vehicle that could tow more though. Any thoughts?
If I stop to eat or check out a site, I couldn't leave the cats in the car. Could I put them in the Escape and turn on the air? I appreciate any ideas.....
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi McKenna, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

You're smart to investigate and gain knowledge before jumping in with both feet and buying. Buying a trailer can be stressful enough for some, but perhaps making the wrong kind of decision will impact your wallet!

One of the best parts of an all molded towable over the Chalet (or any pop up) is the ability to pull over and it (can be) immediately usable. Not so with something you have to "raise."

Lots of folks travel with pets, I'm sure one or two or more will pop in with suggestions soon.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Lynn View Post
If I stop to eat or check out a site, I couldn't leave the cats in the car. Could I put them in the Escape and turn on the air?
The trailer typically needs to be plugged into the power grid for the A/C to work. Though a generator might give you enough power.

The 12V Maxx Fan power roof vent Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan that comes with the Escape should provide adequate circulation for those short stops. If that is not enough, the Endless Breeze fan available at camping world will add up to an additional 900 CFM to the airflow.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #4

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Escape 17 Plan B

I was looking at the Chalet 1935, but now really think the Escape 17B looks perfect for me. At 2100 lbs dry weight, can this be towed by my Subaru with a towing capacity of 3000. If not, and I need to purchase a different vehicle, how much towing capacity should I look for to pull this Escape.

Also, I travel and camp alot, but have never towed. If I am going to live full-time for 1-2 years, is a 17 foot reasonable for me to pull. I will be going from place to place and staying 1-2 months at each location.
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

Name: J
Trailer: NonFiberglass
Delaware
Mckenna,

Best suggestion I can give as I did research for almost 2 years is step inside a few of the models and sizes you think will work for you make your call from that expierence. There is a general rule of not going more then 80 percent of your max tow weight making your max closer to 2400 lbs. a 17 at 2100 dry along with a modicum of clothes,food, trailer supplies, cat supplies and general camp items could very well become 2700lbs with half a tank of water or so for the quick stops. Check out this pdf www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/equipment/towing/towing.pdf‎ and perhaps talk to folks who have your vehicle and see what they may tow with it. I do presume it has a tow package installed on it already . There are alot of helpful folks here and alot might even volunteer to let you look at their trailers.

Cypherian
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Over the years I've towed a number of different type & size trailers with a number of different vehicles. It wouldn't bother me to approach the vehicle's tow rating. I figure the engineers who designed the tow vehicles know more than some "rule of thumb."
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Contact Escape Industries and they will put you in contact with an owner that lives near you (some are on this map) https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...4&source=embed
Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
With the cats, what sort of temperatures are you talking about? You can run the A/C if you have a generator that is large enough to do it and I'm not sure what that would be. The issue is that if it is really hot, the trailer starts out hot when you go back to put the cats in there. We traveled over the years with different types of units and dogs and/or cats along for the ride.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If I was going to full-time, I'd look for a trailer that had a permanent comfortable bed (big enough, long enough, wide enough) a large rear dinette (I like to look out the rear when I eat instead of at my tug) and a full bathroom. Those three things may not be important to you.

I'm sure you'll find the perfect layout for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote