Hi New Scamp owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: P. J.
Trailer: 75 Scamp 13
Florida
Red face Hi New Scamp owner

Hi Everyone,
Thanx for the add.
Just purchased a 75 scamp 13.

She doesn't leak!! but has a bent door and needs some TLC.

She has had some modifications ... from what I have been told she was a Ice fishing camper to begin with but now resides in Florida ( NO ICE HERE).
Most of the Floor has been replace with wood. And there is a bed in the rear.

HERE ARE A FEW QUESTIONS I HAVE:

A/C unit next to bed and some built in shelves on the other side of the door.

Needs paint on inside.. What can I paint the padding with???

The trim all needs replaced it is petrified.. and painted. trim on door and around the bottom of the camper shell.. Is the only place to get that from Scamp??

Do I Just drill out the rivets to replace the trim?

How much does the roof hold in weight can I get up there to sand?? and will it hold a kayak??

I was told it has gel coat paint but there is alot of paint that came off when pressure washing was done. What kind of paint can I use?

I feel like even though she doesn't leak I need to replace the window seals.
they look dry rotted..

Is there a direct replacement for the Jalousie windows ? the one on the door is bent. The ones on the sides work but some of the screws are missing and there is a lot of caulking around the out side of them my other question is do they need caulk? they look like they have a good bit of aluminum past the opening..

as well as the door not closing properly big gap at the Top and Bottom, the center does lock but has no key. I have put a tie down strap on the door to help bend back in to shape.. ANY OTHER TRICKS??

Well I think that is enough for now ... I will post pics as I go!!!

Just cleaning made a big difference!!

Thank you in advance for all advice and tips n tricks!!
So excited to find this forum!

P.J.
Rnbwglw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #2
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbwglw77 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Thanx for the add.
Just purchased a 75 scamp 13.

She doesn't leak!! but has a bent door and needs some TLC.

She has had some modifications ... from what I have been told she was a Ice fishing camper to begin with but now resides in Florida ( NO ICE HERE).
Most of the Floor has been replace with wood. And there is a bed in the rear.

HERE ARE A FEW QUESTIONS I HAVE:

A/C unit next to bed and some built in shelves on the other side of the door.

Needs paint on inside.. What can I paint the padding with???

The trim all needs replaced it is petrified.. and painted. trim on door and around the bottom of the camper shell.. Is the only place to get that from Scamp??

Do I Just drill out the rivets to replace the trim?

How much does the roof hold in weight can I get up there to sand?? and will it hold a kayak??

I was told it has gel coat paint but there is alot of paint that came off when pressure washing was done. What kind of paint can I use?

I feel like even though she doesn't leak I need to replace the window seals.
they look dry rotted..

Is there a direct replacement for the Jalousie windows ? the one on the door is bent. The ones on the sides work but some of the screws are missing and there is a lot of caulking around the out side of them my other question is do they need caulk? they look like they have a good bit of aluminum past the opening..

as well as the door not closing properly big gap at the Top and Bottom, the center does lock but has no key. I have put a tie down strap on the door to help bend back in to shape.. ANY OTHER TRICKS??

Well I think that is enough for now ... I will post pics as I go!!!

Just cleaning made a big difference!!

Thank you in advance for all advice and tips n tricks!!
So excited to find this forum!

P.J.
Good luck, sounds like you’re enthusiastic. That’s a good start. Scamp service is very helpful plus you probably will get some good suggestions from owners. Anything you need after the owners, go back with ?’s to Scamp. I’m a new Scamp owner and they’ve been very helpful. They may make suggestions about parts in stock to revitalize your hard working Scamp too. Good luck.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The interior lining is Ensolite, closed cell foam with a textured vinyl top layer. It can be painted with latex paint after a thorough cleaning and primer. Many people remove the plastic T-molding on the seams and fill with a paintable latex caulk. Wider gaps can be textured with a crumpled damp rag to approximate the texture of the vinyl.

There are several different types of edge trim used on the door, outer shell, and interior cabinets. All are commonly available from a number of sources, including Scamp. I believe Trim-Loc is the trade name for the white door trim and black outer shell trim. The interior trim is plastic U-channel.

Seals for old jalousie windows can be tricky. You just have to try to match the profile and dimensions as close as possible. I’ve heard vintagetrailersupply.com mentioned as one possible source.

The badly fitting door will be your biggest challenge. Two possible causes to investigate. One, loss of interior support can cause the shell to bulge out at the middle. That typically results in a gap at both top and bottom. Two, water infiltration into the wood core from the window can cause the door to lose its shape. It more commonly results in a gap at the bottom. It’s easy to test: drill few small holes on the inside of the door at the bottom of the thick part (careful not to penetrate the outer skin). If water runs out you have your answer.

Best wishes with your renovations!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Caulk around window is not normal. Normally the window is removed and has butyl putty tape applied to the flat flange around the edges and is then pressed back into opening and re-riveted.

Yes you just drill the rivet out. Most times one can use a drill bit the same size as the rivet shank. Head will pop right off as you go through. Often sliding up the drill bit. If the shank size bit goes through and head is still on then go up a size or two in drill bit and carefully drill to the point of just through the head. Drill bit grabs head as it breaks through and the rivet head breaks off. You just don't want to drill all the way through and make the hole larger.

People paint ensolite inner liner. The liner provides insulation to prevent condensation and noise carrying through the walls. As well as the walls being translucent without some cover so one would put on a magic lantern shadow show for the campground. Most embarrassing if one is laying on the bed struggling to get ones speedo pulled up, or those too tight sweat pants :-)

The liner may have originally had a white foam tape over the seams. Scamp still sold it a few years ago. Stuff they make today doesn't stick all that well without some additional adhesive. 3M spray 77 if applied to both wall and tape works, as does contact cement. Spray adhesive is a hassle to apply to the wall, I cut a slotted template of cardboard. It is great to apply to tape. Went to brush on contact cement for more control. Seems to hold better too.

Some people just caulk the liner seams, one can dab with a sponge to give the wet caulk a texture similar to the rest of the liner. Not sure of best choice of caulk product. Paintable if one is going to paint, needs to remain pliable. Enough people have done it that a search of the site or posting a specific question on caulk for ensolite seams would get you plenty of first hand information.

The roof can't really take a persons weight. I can lean on it when up on a ladder but can see it give if I try to lean with my full weight of 200+ pounds anywhere near the center.

Gelcoat isn't really a paint, at least not like latex or lacquer. It is sprayed into the mold before the fiberglass is applied to the mold so the two bond together, it has greater thickness than paint and seldom flakes off. It does develop "spider web" cracks with age because over time the gelcoat becomes stiffer than the fiberglass and the difference in ability to flex creates thin cracks. As can an impact. One can "paint" a new coat of gelcoat but it isn't the same process as regular painting.

Many have gone ahead and painted old gel coat with good results. With approaches ranging from fine nap roller and brush used to "tip" the runs and lines as you go along to taking it to an auto painting place and having it done. Probably biggest headache for painting (aside from removing old paint if it was painted before) is getting all wax and silicon from caulk off the surface. Old gel coat is porous, holds that stuff. Paint over contaminants will not go well.

Some pictures to go with your descriptions would be helpful. Old aluminum windows are a thing unto themselves.

Doors are also their own subject with a number of things that can need fixing or tweaking and different approaches available to handle the different situations. Also if the door frame attachment at the bottom rots the wall shifts and door won't fit well. Or roof can drop and walls can bow a small amount over time. FG is flexible after all.

Sort of interested in your layout. Mine has a closet at the middle between door and rear dinette/bed and a sink & stove across from that on the street side. Couch/bunks at the front. I know at one time Scamp put AC in the closet, or under sink. Not sure if they did it on the early 13's mine is pretty basic. I know folks added AC there. One thing of concern is the closet and black upper cabinet brace support the roof. The interior objects provide corner bracing both vertically and horizontally. Some of the older ones got gutted or heavily modified without taking that into consideration.

It looks like the black metal is supporting the upper cabinets but it is actually using the upper cabinets to help keep the roof from slumping in the middle by shortening the span of the roof front to back.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Okay, just found the pictures in your other thread. What’s on the door does not appear to be the original Ensolite. The inside appears to have been gutted and rebuilt. That could well explain the sagging and poor door fit. The door itself appears to have been modified.

This seems like a frame-up rebuild. Start by inspecting, cleaning, reinforcing, and painting the frame. As you work from the bottom up, make sure to include floor-to-ceiling support of the shell. You can do that with ribs, partial bulkheads, or full-height cabinets. You may need to apply some gentle pressure on the ceiling to restore something approximating the original shape.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
And no, the roof cannot support a kayak and its a bad idea. Put a rack on the tow vehicle instead.

There are no direct replacements for jalousie windows. They are no longer made. Fixing what you have is the best approach. And caulk doesn't work on fiberglass RVs. You will be scraping it all off. Butyl tape is the answer.

Most of your questions have been discussed in the past. Lots of great advice out there!

If your roof is already sagging, thats a place to start.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbwglw77 View Post

It's not a good idea, even if the roof could hold the weight. You would have to trailer the kayak to the put-in and take-out, or move it to the tow vehicle.
I did it once, putting my canoe on my tent trailer, which was worse, because I couldn't open the trailer until I removed the canoe.

Tags
scamp