Hi! New to forum just put deposit down on a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Scamp on order!
California
Hi! New to forum just put deposit down on a Scamp

Hello! So excited that this forum is here, my husband and I just put a deposit down on a 16ft deluxe Scamp. They are very backed up with orders so we should see delivery to us in CA around mid August.

We are going to need a ton of advice to get going. I have been tent camping only once and my husband only a couple times. Wondering if anybody knows of a thread that will get us started?

Thanks so much!
amy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I can offer one suggestion. Get out your tent and enjoy camping until the trailer arrives. You'll learn lots skills that are directly transferable.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Welcome Amy. You're going to love camping in style with a new Scamp. Its easy to learn. My husband and I had done a lot of camping, but never any RV type camping, and we love it. I don't know if there's one particular thread, but there is no end to learning on this forum. Just start checking out different threads in the Owners helping owners, Mods... Towing..., and care of FGRVs sections. Also, the document center has great info, including a great checklists. Check them out.
What part of CA are you in?
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
welcome

You will love your new home on wheels, if it is delivered on time...you might want to look into the Lake Casitas ralley in Ojai (just outside of Ventura)....My wife and I went to our first ralley last year & met some great folks. we just registered for this year, if you have never been there or to one of these ralley we would recommend it
Cindy & Alan
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #5

Name: Amy
Trailer: Scamp on order!
California
Thanks so much for the suggestions. We are really looking forward to our scamp. We are in Torrance which is about 15 min from LAX, we really had a hard time finding a scamp near us anywhere. We finally found several in a campground in Zion, the owners were thrilled with theirs and let us check them out. I wish I could remember their names, because now I know of the referral program.

Thanks again!
amy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Amy to FiberglassRV. I'm late to the welcoming party because I've been out camping in my Scamp!

We're glad you're here
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
California
We live in Santa Barbara and just returned from Backus with our new 13 foot Layout 1. The trip to/from Backus took 11 days and we saw parts of the country that we had never been to before. Also had fun skirting all the rain and wind in the upper midwest. We love our Scamp and would like info on the Lake Casitas rally in Ojai. Thanks
eryork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Amy from North Carolina. My daughter lives in Ocean Side, California. I know you have lots of questions. This is a great forum to find all the answers. Best thing is you will start new which is great. Just remember, no question is a stupid question; because we all started where you are now at some time. Welcome to the family.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We too, are from California and drove to Backus to pick up our 13' Scamp in 2011 and took our time driving home to explore some of this country's great parks including our first night at Railley's at Pine Mountain Resort which is close to Backus. We checked out everything to do with the trailer knowing we were close enough to the manufacturer that we could go back to them if need be. As it turned out everything was in tip-top shape and the campground was lovely. We enjoyed borrowing their kayaks to paddle on the lake.

We did discover that the bed is quite firm. As soon as we got home we custom made a mattress pad out of a thermal foam topper. (I'll send you photos if you like) I would suggest that you bring several cushy comforters (queen size should do) on your first trip (or sleeping bags). Put at least one comforter on the bed to use as cushioning and the others on top as you need them until you can make your custom topper.

Each trip we find ways to "fine-tune" our camping in the Scamp and you will too.

Happy Waiting and Happy Camping to you!
Gilda (Jill-da)
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Welcome Amy, I interested in the Scamp 16' Deluxe also. Never owned a camper trailer and am interested in how you decided on this brand. I have not found a resource for deciding on which brand to pick. I require a shower, sleeps 2-3 which puts me in the 16' class? If you don't mind, could you tell me what the Scamp is going to cost you? If anyone else can help me with a resource for picking the right one, it would be appreciated.

Greg c.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Suggestions

For the first night camping in your new trailer, it is a good idea to do it in your driveway if you can. This way if there is anything you need, you will have immediate access to your home for support. This is doubly so if you are not experienced campers. We camped for over forty years in our tent(s) before discovering eggs. It is so nice having better shelter and not having to sleep near the ground.

BTW: Welcome aboard!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
Welcome Amy, I interested in the Scamp 16' Deluxe also. Never owned a camper trailer and am interested in how you decided on this brand. I have not found a resource for deciding on which brand to pick. I require a shower, sleeps 2-3 which puts me in the 16' class? If you don't mind, could you tell me what the Scamp is going to cost you? If anyone else can help me with a resource for picking the right one, it would be appreciated.

Greg c.
I don't want to distract from the OPs original post, but to FiberglassRV Greg.

The resource for buying starts with you. Your budget, your tow vehicle and the layout you need. All the molded towables are more alike than different, using the same or similar appliances, windows, axles, etc. The very best advice is try to find a gathering close to you and go. It's an excellent opportunity to see, feel and SIT in a trailer.

Other than that, contact all the manufacturers and get referrals. Each current manufacturer keeps a list of names of folks that are willing to show off their brand of trailer, proudly. Hopefully you'll find several of different brands and layouts close to your area.

Best of luck on the egg hunt
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Welcome to Amy and Greg,

Amy, This site is a great resource but there are also a few Scamp owner forums that might give you a few pointers more specifically about your trailer and options. Many there are also here. Go to a campground get a day pass and walk around, most campers are friendly. Talk to them about styles of camping and equipment.

Greg, the above can also apply to you. Are there any RV shows or dealers around? Go tour some new trailers and get an idea of what you like and don't, same for what you need. One of the smartest buyers I met was Jon Vermilye, he came to his first meet that had a motel on site, grabbed a room and checked out all the different trailers there. The next year he came back with a real nice Escape trailer and is now a regular.

When our family size increased by getting a 2nd dog (bunks don't work as well for dogs as they do kids) our 13' boler became too small. So we let them help us pick out a 16' U-haul VT. That deal fell through due to sellers remorse. So we snapped up a Trillium 4500 that worked equally well. Then another rare U-haul VT came available. We spent a weekend camping with the seller making a 2 page list of pros and cons of each trailer. It was a tough decision the really came down to 2 things. We liked the windows and space between the kitchen cabinets better in the Trillium. If I were looking for another used, it would probably be a Bigfoot 17 or Escape. If I were looking for new, it would be molded fiberglass for too many reasons to list here. Escape would be at the top of the list.

If both of you have not figured it out yet, if you keep asking questions, we'll keep answering them. Ask away ...
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp