Hi Newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Smile Hi Newbie

Hello from Co. After years of wanting to RV again, I bought a used 16'ft Scamp travel trailer...It has been 20 yrs since I backed up my travel trailer. Now I am solo what was I thinking? Pure adventure and joy to have this choice again. Fear it but do it anyway! So first outing next weekend and hopefully as we become accustomed to each other we will go to Az in Jan. Any advice comments, help or two cents ..all welcome!
Seeitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Aiyana. You GO, you can do it! And, to FiberglassRV we're glad you're here!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #3

Colorado
Smile Thank you

Hi Donna see you have a scamp any helpful hints since you have one would be great! Mine is pretty bare in some ways but well preserved. Right now trying to match receiver and ball. Mine needs a little TLC on outside and inside but happy about what I bought.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Helpful hint? How about, your trailer doesn't need to be perfect... it only needs to be perfect for you!

BTW: I consider "clean" to be a theme... sometimes I hit it, sometimes I don't... but I have a great time every single time I camp. I'm betting you will too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Aiyanna, best advise I have is to just get out and explore and enjoy the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #6

Colorado
Thank you

Plan to replace axle, brakes and tires first and foremost..The rest bit by bit as I journey!
Thank you both for welcome so excited!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyana View Post
Plan to replace axle, brakes and tires first and foremost..The rest bit by bit as I journey!
Might as well go whole hog, and change the coupler as well, especially if it is a 1-7/8" ball. Maybe get the chains looked at and fitted to your tow vehicle as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyana View Post
Aiyana, those are all REALLY good ides. If you are planning on doing Arizona in the winter you might want to consider picking up a new battery as well (Costco has good prices) if it more than 4 years old or you dont know how badly its been abused. LED replacement light bulbs for your interior light fixtures will go a long way in helping you stay in some of the nice dry camping spots for a few days.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

Colorado
Thank you two also

Yes already thought about battery & chains. Kwel idea about LED lights and also coupler. I would rather get replaced than be stuck somewhere or worse.
You all have been so helpful sure I will use your great advice in future too! Thank you!!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Hi! Don't fret about backing up. Just take your time, go slow, get out often to look. After a bit you'll get the hang of it again and it will be easy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #11

Colorado
Thanks Mike

Did 1st try with little guidance and woohoo, did not run into anything!! I will get the hang of it with lots of practice..Thanks for encouragement!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #12

Colorado
Today feeling a bit "overwhelmed". Trying to sort things out and think think things first.. Brakes 1st..I am having difficulty and please don't laugh with the hitch pin it is a devil to take off and put back on...any ideas?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Aiyana, those are all REALLY good ides. If you are planning on doing Arizona in the winter you might want to consider picking up a new battery as well (Costco has good prices) if it more than 4 years old or you dont know how badly its been abused. LED replacement light bulbs for your interior light fixtures will go a long way in helping you stay in some of the nice dry camping spots for a few days.
Thank you did get a new battery..now if Spring will get here!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #14

Colorado
Tomorrow will be the first time I tow the DreamWeaver(scamp) oh my, hope I don't hold my breath too long! So excited, little nervous to say the least! Will take the back road, in about 20 mi. A friend will be my cheering section this time! Have someone lined up to buff her, and gloss her a week from now! Received tire cover awesome job! Will finish drape this week, felt I needed extra as well as pillows. Now I am over cabin fever and moving into Wanderlust!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #15

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
My very first back up of an utility trailer took a lot of...headaches without ramming into a parking car on the street. After a lot of practices, the last time I back up my Trillium by myself into my rear, narrow, paved driveway without.....a scratch, it took times and several jumps in and out of the driver seat to look, though. Now I install rear backup alarm, big, popped up moon-roof towing mirror(from 18wheeler) with floodlight for...more peace of the....coconut. Anyway, welcome to the forum, there are a lot of excellent inputs in this forum. Cheer!
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #16

Colorado
Thanks so much for the welcome...hope I don't have to go through all that..but live and learn!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeitall View Post
Hello from Co. After years of wanting to RV again, I bought a used 16'ft Scamp travel trailer...It has been 20 yrs since I backed up my travel trailer. !
Congratulations and as we say in Texas "grabbing the bull by the horns".

Here is perhaps one of the best two minute videos you can watch on trailering (until the next one comes along). You wont be dissapointed.

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #18

Colorado
Thanks Mike..oh can you recall when you first took your scamp out! Woohoo!! I got so happy I didn't want to take it to the shop!! Took back road so I could experience curves, hills,bumps, holes, bikers, elk, photographers just to mention a few.It handled fantastic no strain on the car whatsoever! Then to hwy and handled great! When I got to the dealer's didn't have to back- up. But unhooked and remembered first lesson chalks behind the wheels not a moment to soon! Did great! Question they say electric hitch can't be put on or a fantastic fan..any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you brake in tomorrow. I may get the Scamp back tomorrow too! Hope so!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There are very few things that can't be done. But it may be difficult, and expensive. The Fantastic fan requires a 14" vent. If your scamp has a 9" vent, then the hole needs to be cut bigger to install the fan. I am not sure what you mean by an electric hitch.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #20

Colorado
Oops forgot..thanks about video and will watch..lots and lots of practice. The technique looks easier.thanks again!