Hi! Sherry in NH.... looking for a small lightweight camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #1

Name: Sherry
Trailer: In the Market
New Hampshire
Hi! Sherry in NH.... looking for a small lightweight camper

Hi! I'm Sherry in NH on the MA border. I've been browsing for a small, lightweight camper. My CRV can only haul up to 1500 lbs. Needs a queen sized bed for 2 adults and a toddler, and hopefully a little extra space for 2 small dogs, and one larger one.

So far I'm diggin' the Vintage 72 Compact Jr Camper, T@G teardrops, Little Guy 5 or 6 wide, & Runaway Rangerunners.... though everything I am finding seems to be on the opposite end of the country. I know the right one will come along at the right time.
EligiosMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Sherry!

I can't speak for the non-molded fiberglass options on your short list, but a Hunter Compact Jr. is a good match for your CR-V. It's not only one of the lightest 13'ers (see the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World), but the lower towing profile means less wind drag at highway speeds (a good thing with a smaller tow vehicle).

With a trailer that old, you want to beware of hidden problems that can lurk under fresh paint, bright upholstery, and new flooring. Just general advice- I'm not implying anything about the particular Compact Jr. currently listed on this site (which I'm assuming is the one you're diggin'... ). The Buyer's Checklist will help you make a thorough inspection of a used unit. When buying an older trailer, allow room for repairs in your budget. Even if the trailer has good bones (solid frame, floor, and shell), there will be little things, and they can add up.

An external automatic transmission fluid cooler for your CR-V would be a good idea no matter what kind of trailer you plan to tow. It's inexpensive protection for an expensive component.

Best wishes finding the right trailer for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: Sherry
Trailer: In the Market
New Hampshire
Thank you so much! I have zero experience, so any advice/knowledge is appreciated. I always did tents, but I need something more comfortable at this point in my life. :-)
EligiosMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
One adjustment you will have to make moving from a tent to a trailer is a slower pace of travel. Out here anyway, interstate speed limits are pretty high, so with a tent inside your vehicle you can cover some ground. When trailering, you'll need to keep your speed under 65mph (and in some states, even lower). Lots of reasons, but the biggest is stability- at higher speeds trailers can sway, leading to loss of control.

For us it's significant. Traveling solo, we can make it from eastern AZ to southern CA in one day. With the trailer it takes a day and a half, so we have to plan an overnight stop both ways. But it's worth it because our little Scamp makes the perfect beach cottage!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight