Hi to all, new owner of an old Nomad - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Nomad
Ontario
Hi to all, new owner of an old Nomad

I've been lurking around here for awhile, finally decided to register. Back in August, we bought a 1963 Nomad, but not the one you're thinking of. This is the oddball one - half tent trailer, half boat. It sort of qualifies as a fibreglass RV, at least half of one - the lower half forms the stowage and sleeping berth.

I found a thread on the forums here about other people who've seen or own one of these. I get the impression that they're virtually nonexistent anymore.

Anyway...if any of you happen to own one or know of someone who does, we'd be happy to trade stories. There MUST be more of us out there somewhere!
SteveG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Welcome from a newbie to the site. Interesting "rv" you've described, never have seen one. Pictures?
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome! Yes, we’ve seen that one before, but IIRC the most recent one was posted by a shop that was repainting it for a client. I doubt they stuck around after the project was completed. Very rare.

The “Community” tab has a tool to search the forum membership by trailer name. You might turn up other owners and try sending a PM or e-mail. You can also locate old posts by Nomad owners and click on their username to access their profile and send a message. The profile will also tell you when they’ve last logged into the forum. In some cases they’ve been gone for years.

We’d love to see pictures of yours! EDIT- just found your picture in post #23 here. Looks to be in really great condition!
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post798839
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #4

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Steve - I have a lot of experience with a NOMAD but none since about the mid '70s. I travelled a lot with the one my parents owned. My Brother and I plus friends often went to car races (Mosport, Watkins Glen, etc.) and were ALWAYS the only guys with a boat at a car race!

I hadn't seen one since those days and suddenly one appeared about 3 doors up from me earlier this year. My neighbour who I hadn't met until then bought one that was in OK shape but it had been gutted ... no tent or plywood but the rails were there. It left his property suddenly and I don't know what happened to it.

Yours in the link above is in great shape. You're going to love that trailer!
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:19 PM   #5

Ontario
Some photos of our Nomad

As requested, here are some views of our "RV". We bought it from people who ran a tent and awning business. They had camped in it across North America with their young kids, who are now in their fifties. They used the original canvas as a pattern, made some improvements and finished the new tent last year. We're the first people to actually use it since the refit - so basically brand new. The trailer itself is in great shape. Don't know if we'll ever use the boat but it's there as an option. We left it at home on our first trip so I don't have any photos of the complete trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
20200825_161734-01.jpg   20200825_161955.jpg  

20200825_120232-01.jpg  
Old 11-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #6

Ontario
You're right about loving this trailer. We're in our sixties now and this is the first time we've slept up off the ground, and had enough headroom to stand up. It's been a very welcome change, probably has added at least another ten years to our camping life.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #7

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Those pics bring back some memories. We're in our '60s too and bought a trailer last year, a Coachmen Clipper, not the Cadet in my avatar. It's the first time I've slept off the ground since being in my parent's NOMAD.

Maybe we'll see you at a Provincial Park which it looks like you're at in the pics. I'd certainly notice a NOMAD!
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #8

Name: Laura
Trailer: NOMAD
ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG58 View Post
I've been lurking around here for awhile, finally decided to register. Back in August, we bought a 1963 Nomad, but not the one you're thinking of. This is the oddball one - half tent trailer, half boat. It sort of qualifies as a fibreglass RV, at least half of one - the lower half forms the stowage and sleeping berth.

I found a thread on the forums here about other people who've seen or own one of these. I get the impression that they're virtually nonexistent anymore.

Anyway...if any of you happen to own one or know of someone who does, we'd be happy to trade stories. There MUST be more of us out there somewhere!
Hi:
My father produced the Nomad and owned the business. Our family still has one.
Please please please - connect with me.
Laura Flynn
lmfrankflynn@gmail.com
LMFRANKFLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Nice!
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #10

Name: Sara
British Columbia
I've got one too!

Hi there, I purchased a Nomad a few years back. It's in rough shape, but has the original canvas, which will need to be replaced. Mine doesn't have a drop down tent. It basically sits on top of the lower portion of the unit. It has its original two bunks, with cabinets at the heads of them and a spot for a cooler between them. Definitely a huge project, not sure I'll keep it when it's done, but I sure love it!
Sara Kalis Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #11

British Columbia
Nomad marketing video

https://youtu.be/6Hw9ufylWmQ
Sara Kalis Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #12

British Columbia