Hi to Everyone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Hi to Everyone

Hi All,
I'm Larry, a new registrant to the Fiberglass RV site. I live in beautiful Western Colorado, at the base of the Grand Mesa, the highest flat-top mountain in the world, with 300 lakes! It's a wonderful area in which to camp and explore, just 20 minutes from my house.

My RV is a 2018 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe and my TV is a 2005 Toyota 4Runner.
Haven't made any mods to the Casita as yet, but will start using a cargo rack on the back hitch receiver next outing later this month.

Though I've owned three previous A-Frames, this is my first Casita, so I look forward to learning from all the more experienced "Casita-istas" our there.

Pressing on. . .
Larry in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
I used a cargo carrier on the back of my Scamp. Didn’t have any problems. Use good chord to tie things down back there. It is a rough ride. But again, I had no problems. One of my goals was to lighten the tongue weight because my TV had a 200# limit.

Another caution is to keep enough weight on the tongue so the trailer doesn’t dance around on you. I’ve heard 8-12% of the trailer weight. others will say no less than 10%.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We carried bikes on the back of our Casita with no problems. It is a rough ride back there and pretty dirty.

Just make sure that the receiver is mounted properly with at least some bracing to the frame. The bumper itself will not carry a load.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Hi Larry,

A question for you.

-Casita, unlike Scamp, does not offer a factory rear hitch receiver option. So I'm curious what exactly you have. As Dave correctly mentioned, the rear bumper is not meant to carry weight. Look to see if your hitch receiver is bolted or welded to the two longitudinal Casita frame members, possibly with two transverse cross members.

Also, as Tony correctly mentioned, tongue weight should be 10-15% of actual total trailer weight. Otherwise the trailer will tend to sway/fishtail.

I myself just finished adding a cargo carrier to the back of our 2016 17' Casita Spirit Delux. I bolted on a "Casita Works" receiver assembly, put in a Harbor Freight carrier, and an aluminum cargo box. Hopefully I'll post details and pictures of this project.
There are a few extremely valuable tricks I used to drill the (8) 7/16" holes to mount the receiver.

Larry
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote