Hi! *waves* - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Hi! *waves*

Kim in NC here. Yay i bought a 2001 Scamp 13' yesterday! I'll be bringing it home this weekend. Oh boy!!!---is all i can say. She needs lots of tlc...and i'm ready to give it. My other half frowned at her and said "it's your money" lol. I have no idea where to start except with the obvious-a good bath. On a scale of 1-10 i guess she's a 5. Campable definitely. But super dirty inside and out. The fiberglass is in very good condition and that was most important to me. Cushions-very good but need to be cleaned. The door is a little wonky...as in saggy in the hinges...it looks like the cotter pin is bent some or a few washers could be added to tighten it...they say they're having someone come fix that for me Friday....fingers crossed. Those are the obvious items. Gonna take pics to share and give you guys an update when i bring her home Saturday. I have lurked around here while shopping and am so impressed with the friendliness and sharing of knowledge on here. Man it's hard to find a fiberglass fixer-upper around these parts! (they removed it from CL before i copied the pics)

(i abuse ellipsis...i even picture them when speaking sometimes...and sometimes i typo because i'm usually on my phone or ipad...it's an honest mistake i'm really not duh)
_Scamp87_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #2

SouthEast
Registry
Welll maybe i am duh...i forgot to mention how AMAZING everyones fiberglass babies look!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Kim! Glad you found a trailer. A 2001 shouldnt have to many problems you cant fix yourself. Scamp sells most of the parts you may need (including replacement parts for the door hinge) and their prices are pretty reasonable. Just take the cushions off and wash them in the machine on the Hand Wash cycle only and hang to dry and they will look as good as new. If the factory plastic wrap is still in place under the cushions leave it on if you can as it keeps the foam clean and makes it way easier to get the cushions back on.

Enjoy your first summer with your trailer!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Kim, When purchasing a trailer, dirt is your friend. It shows that the owner has not used the trailer for a while, so is likely more flexible on the price. Some Sunlight dish soap and some scrubbing, (if you have a teenager, this is where they come in handy) and the trailer will look 100% better, and have that fresh lemony smell. You are absolutely correct, the condition of the fibreglass is what really counts.
Since you have been lurking, you know, we love pictures. Get it cleaned up and show it off.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

SouthEast
Registry
They definitely moved on the price because of the amount of elbow grease. I'm so thankful for that, and i'm a huge fan of sweat equity. Lately i've had quite a few projects around the house that have made me wish i had a couple of teenagers lol...earn your keep kids! But nope no kids. The PO did not take the best care of the Scamp. It seemed as though it may have been used by some hunters.

I bought it without even owning a hitch. I'm going Friday to have a hitch put on the Xterra and then picking it up Friday eve or Saturday morn. I'm ready to take some before pics! And i'm ready to go to town with a bucket of soapy water.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

SouthEast
Registry
I was looking at Scamp interiors online and voila a pic of the one i bought popped up. Here's the link. The work computer won't allow me to save and post the pic...or i'm not that tech savy to bypass it lol (hopefully i didn't mess up the link) And nooooo i didn't pay even close to the asking price.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Yup, that door needs to be looked at.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Congratulations Kim! Very nice trailer, but I don't think it's a 2001 with those windows, unless somebody switched them out. What does the title say? The 10th character of the VIN should be a "1" if it's a 2001. Before 1989, the 11th character indicates the year, before 1982 they used a short non-standard serial.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #9

SouthEast
Registry
Doh...i didn't look at the title...i mean i held it but i left it with the camper until i pick it up on Saturday. And it never occured to me to look at the year on it. But you bet that will be the first thing that i look at!!!! And i'm putting the vin number info you gave me in my phone.

I gave them money to hold it until Saturday when i pay the rest...i hope this doesn't change anything...meaning the fact that it could possibly not be a clean title.

I have so much to learn.

.....going to google and look at Scamp windows to compare.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Somewhere here is a key to finding the year from the VIN. I printed it out and have it in my "Scamp binder". Also mine has a decal inside the point of the tongue that lists the date of manufacture. Mine is printed on shiny mylar, no ink remains, but I could still make out the shadow of the print.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum Kim.
Looks like you will have a spiffy mini-house on wheels.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Don't make a really big deal over the model year. Sounds like you bought it in the price range 1980's models sell for.
As far as the cleaning goes, you did good. When you are cleaning the floor, just make believe your picking up hundred dollar bills the PO left for you.
Great job!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Congratulations, don't sweat the year as long as the VIN on the trailer/Title match,- the Title could just be dated according to when it was most recently issued/changed or something. For interest's sake, here's the key to build/model year for Scamps.
Decode Scamp VIN

And here's your trailer's picture for all to see!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
What is behind that vent? I thought that the fridge in a Scamp was below the stove. Is it for an air conditioner?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #15

SouthEast
Registry
Theres an ac unit in the bottom of the closet.

....that's what's behind the vent.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #16

SouthEast
Registry
Yay!!!! Thank you Francesca!!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #17

SouthEast
Registry
And those wire looking things down the side are where he mounted another set of brake lights. His wife said the original lights worked so i'm not exactly sure why he did that, but they go all the way from front to back. I'll be moving that too.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hmmm....those are add-on temporary tow lights- they stick to the bumper with magnets.

Clearly, either the tow vehicle connector didn't match the trailer, OR- you won't like this- the lights on the trailer don't work.

Is he letting you have those lights? If not: if you're planning on bringing this trailer home on Saturday, you might want to invest in a set of those yourself. You can buy them for about thirty bucks, and if it turns out you don't need them you can take them back to Walmart or wherever.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #19

SouthEast
Registry
He's leaving the lights on there. But i agree that it may be because the others do not work. "He" is out of town until Friday. His wife was 'guessing' most of the info...and her answer was typically 'it worked last time i used it'...in regards to the water and stove. I paid $2500 for it so i expect to work for it. When i get it home i'm going to start a checklist. (a very overwhelming checklist lol)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #20

Name: Guy
Georgia
Welcome from a fellow newbee

Welcome from a fellow newbee to the Scamping community. I got my Scamp a few day's ago. First thing I did was "fog it" made sure all the little critters were goners. Than wiped down the entire surface, now i'm working on getting the cushions recovered for the summer season. Best to You
Guy
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote