Hi! We just got a cute Casita! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Emil and Susan
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Smile Hi! We just got a cute Casita!

We are newbies to the RV world. We thought joining this community, we could find help with our million questions and meet new people. We are a little overwhelmed with everything right now but enjoy traveling in a safe environment. We went on a ten day trip after having our 2018 Casita Independence for two weeks. We can't decide if that was brave or dumb. Here's our first question: The only problem was that we could get our hot water heater to heat water using the electrical. We watched numerous YouTube videos and read the manual. Any Casita owners have suggestions? What are we doing wrong?

Thanks!
Casita Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Two questions: 1) were you plugged into shore power? 2) is the ac switch turned on? It's in the tank compartment and hard to find.

If the answer to both is yes, you or the prior owner might have had the ac heater on with no water in the tank, which could have burned out the element.

Good luck and enjoy the Casita.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

Colorado
Thank you for your quick and helpful response. We were hooked up to shore power and we did switch the ac on. We also checked for water and there appeared to be water. We will have the element checked. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
well as the great philosopher Captain Ron once said "if anything is going to happen its going to happen out there."

as long as the hitch is good, the hubs repacked and the tires are good anything else can be fixed at the nearest motel room.
enjoy the new trailer. happy trails.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #5

Name: P
Washington
Does it heat on the propane setting?
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
"We can't decide if that was brave or dumb". Definitely YES!

EVERYBODY has to start somewhere. Like yourselves, when I bought my new 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe, I pulled away from the factory in Rice, TX with NO trailering / towing experience (and was soon in rush hour traffic). I drove all the way to northwest NV (2000+ miles and then, 2500+ miles to get back home) to attend the Burning Man event. All in all, I had a GREAT time and, the few minor issues I had to deal with were all my fault. I too, took some cold water showers UNTIL, while finding places to store "stuff" I found the PROPANE switch down near the floor. As "newbies" here's the BEST advice I can offer:

If you understand that, as a newbie, you don't know what you don't know (that alone would put you ahead of most RV newbies) you're off to a good start. In RVing, there's a LOT you DO need to know because, unlike a traditional "sticks & bricks" home, an RV (ANY RV) is truly a "moving target". Things that can be safely ignored for years in a "Stick & Brick" most likely need to be checked and maintained in an RV on a regular basis. The BEST way I know of to get educated fast, is to attend an RV Boot Camp. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. At RVBC you, along with a couple of hundred other newbies, will have ALL the systems found on a modern RV explained and demystified. Arcane topics like RATINGS (GVWR, GCWR, CCC, tire, wheel and axle ratings are confusing and easily overlooked BUT, are critical for the safe operation of an RV). The RVSEF, over DECADES of properly weighing RVs, has documented that MORE THAN HALF of the RVs on the road are OVERWEIGHT in at least one parameter. At RVBC, over the course of a weekend (or longer depending on what group is presenting) attendees will gain knowledge that otherwise could take years to learn. With the Covid19 Pandemic, MOST RV events have been canceled this year. A while ago, I read online the the Escapees RV Club was considering hosting a virtual RVBC. It's something worth looking into. RVBC graduates are SAFER RVers and, SMARTER RV buyers. It's usually a LOT cheaper to learn from other people's mistakes that it is to make those mistakes on your own. In addition to the Escapees RV Club, FMCA, the RVSEF and RV~Dreams all offer their own version of this important educational product. JUST DO IT! You can thank me later.

PS Eileen Glick, a LOOOONG time Casita owner, has written an EXCELLENT book: "The A to Z Casita Owner's Guide". Elieen's website Love My Casita is a GREAT resource. Eileen's guide will apply to many "fiberglass egg" trailers. You've already found this valuable resource. Keep looking, there are MANY others as well.

WELCOME!
Regards, John
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #7

Colorado
OMG! I wrote my new posting, went about my day and then woke up to so many kind hints, tips and thoughts! Thank you everyone for making us feel at home in our newness.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #8

Colorado
We have not tried heating the water with propane...remember Newbie thinking.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #9

Colorado
Looking into a RV Boot Camp. Sounds like it would be perfect for us. Also looking into the Glick book. I'll thank you now and not later. THANK YOU!!

We had an experienced RVer tell us 1) Something will always go wrong on every trip
2) ASK because RVers love to talk RV
Old 08-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Newbie View Post
We have not tried heating the water with propane...remember Newbie thinking.
Unless your trailer is different, there should be a switch near the floor by the bed on the driver's side. Flip that on, and a red light should come on. A bit later, you should hear the roar of the heater.

I turn it on only when I know I'll be needing hot water. The tank is well insulated and keeps it warm for a while. Otherwise, it is a propane eater.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #11

Washington
If the propane is roaring, but you have no hot water coming out the faucet after it has run, check the bypass valve. Maybe check it before. This is a valve that is closed before blowing out the pipes for winter.

Don't know if "boot camp" is needed. Casitas are pretty simple compared to most RVs. They have also got a lot of How To videos on line now.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #12

Washington
The Casita Hot Water Heater

Here's their how to video

Old 08-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
We are newbies to the RV world. We thought joining this community, we could find help with our million questions and meet new people. We are a little overwhelmed with everything right now but enjoy traveling in a safe environment. We went on a ten day trip after having our 2018 Casita Independence for two weeks. We can't decide if that was brave or dumb. Here's our first question: The only problem was that we could get our hot water heater to heat water using the electrical. We watched numerous YouTube videos and read the manual. Any Casita owners have suggestions? What are we doing wrong?

Thanks!
We had the same problem once. When you pull the cord out to hook to shore power you can catch it on the hot water heater connections and pull them apart. Pull up the access panel to the hot water heater from the seat area inside and look for a white plastic piece with several wires going to it. You may need to plug it back together or fix a wire. You'll have to look real good all over the top of the tank to find the plastic connector piece. It is about 3X4 inches. We taped it to the top of the tank insulating foam and made sure the wires couldn't get caught again. Be careful when putting the cord in because it winds up over the tank sometimes. Casita didn't do the best thing by not putting a divider between the tank and cord.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #14

Colorado
Thanks for the tip. I WANT HOT WATER!! We are trying any and all suggestions!
Old 08-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #15

Colorado
I see you are from Colorado...us too! We are north of Denver in a tiny farming community. Maybe we will see you on the road!!
Old 08-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #16

Colorado
Thank you to everyone. I am overwhelmed with your quick responses and genuine interest in helping!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #17

Colorado
Quote:
Thank you to everyone. I am overwhelmed with your quick responses and genuine interest in helping!
GUESS WHAT??? WE HAVE HOT WATER!!!! Thank you all for your tips and videos and encouragement.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
GUESS WHAT??? WE HAVE HOT WATER!!!! Thank you all for your tips and videos and encouragement.
What was the problem? Curious people want to know what worked.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:59 PM   #19

Colorado
Do I have to admit to our mistakes!?! We had the water valve turned the wrong way...on bypass not open....thanks to the video. Plus we were also a bit impatient for hot water...it’s not an Instapot. The usual newbie mistakes. I’m sure there will be more. Please feel free to laugh at our expense...we deserve it!! You’ll be happy to know I’ve ordered the A -Z Casita book already and looking into an RV Boot Camp in September. Thank you all so much....quit laughing now!! We also just discovered the DVD player behind the TV today. Hehehehe...are are barely keeping our heads above water.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #20

Colorado
AND we got hot water with shore power and propane!! Baby steps...1 out of 765,987,567-right?!

We just hope our newbie antics are entertaining!! I’ll try to figure out how to send some pictures of our cute Casita...which we may name Corona-Sita.

Tags
casita