Hi y'all - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
Hi y'all

The wife, Elaine, and I are the owners of a '95 Scamp deluxe layout B. Elaine was the motivating force behind our purchase, and the one that cruised the classifieds until she found the one that met her demands / requirements. This all happened last July, and I must say that was an adventure in its self. We are in the N. Georgia mountains and the Scamp was in N. Eastern Ohio. One Thursday we got a sitter for the dogs, 4 Boxers, and took off for the Buckeye state. The next day we gave the Scamp a going over and took the plunge, the only problem being not having a tow vehicle that could handle said camper. This was by design though, I was working part time and the plan was for me to retire, again, come December and also pick up our new tow vehicle at that time. Where there is a will there is a way, and http://http://www.uship.com/ was the answer to our problem.

Since then I have lurked the forums different boards and gained much needed insight and knowledge to these wonderful vehicles. Also during this time I feel like I have come to know many of you, and have enjoyed your wisdom and adventures. We are planning our first shakedown trip soon, within the next couple of weeks, but there are still some things that need to be attended to.

Well this is enough for now, but there will be more posts to come and pictures too. Well off to a big box store for more things for the Scamp, talk to you later.
lijMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Welcome, Michael! Have a great trip and be sure to post pics when you get back!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome

From the other end of the country.

Are you peaches or rambling wrecks? LOL

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Hi ya'll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijMichael View Post
The wife, Elaine, and I are the owners of a '95 Scamp deluxe layout B. Elaine was the motivating force behind our purchase, and the one that cruised the classifieds until she found the one that met her demands / requirements. This all happened last July, and I must say that was an adventure in its self. We are in the N. Georgia mountains and the Scamp was in N. Eastern Ohio. One Thursday we got a sitter for the dogs, 4 Boxers, and took off for the Buckeye state. The next day we gave the Scamp a going over and took the plunge, the only problem being not having a tow vehicle that could handle said camper. This was by design though, I was working part time and the plan was for me to retire, again, come December and also pick up our new tow vehicle at that time. Where there is a will there is a way, and http://http://www.uship.com/ was the answer to our problem.

Since then I have lurked the forums different boards and gained much needed insight and knowledge to these wonderful vehicles. Also during this time I feel like I have come to know many of you, and have enjoyed your wisdom and adventures. We are planning our first shakedown trip soon, within the next couple of weeks, but there are still some things that need to be attended to.

Well this is enough for now, but there will be more posts to come and pictures too. Well off to a big box store for more things for the Scamp, talk to you later.
Michael,
Hope you enjoy your Scamp and retirement! I have heard of you ship but have never used the service. What was your experience with them? Can you get and estimate of the cost before shipping or what? How does the service work?
Thanks,
Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
... Are you peaches or rambling wrecks? LOL
Roger, the wife is a GA peach, but I am just an everyday GA Bulldog or as we are more aptly referred to as a DAWG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
... I have heard of you ship but have never used the service. What was your experience with them? Can you get and estimate of the cost before shipping or what? How does the service work?
Thanks,

Carl
Carl, and explanation of how UShip works will basically answer all of your questions.

With uship you create a "shipping job" that is posted on their website where independent contractors bid for your job. You control the cost because you to select the contractor and price. You can review each bidder as to a bio and reviews from past jobs.

As for my experience with the process, I would definately do it again but with one big difference. Prior to accepting a bid I would contact the bidder and make sure they correctly understand the job and all it entalis. My shipper did not fully understand what a Scamp "5th wheel" is about. Even though I had put a link in the job post to the Scamp websites specs for the trailer, he failed to pick up on the fact that the hitch is for a 2" ball and not a king pin or a 2 5/16" ball that a standard gooseneck uses. Upon delivery he wanted me to help off set his cost of setting up a ball to tow the trailer, which is stricly against UShip terms and policies. But all in all it was a good experience.

Michael
Old 07-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #6

Arkansas
Michael,
Thank for the information! You gave me some excellent advice, if I ever use the you ship service! Another question, comes to mind? Did you see your 5th wheel before you purchased the Scamp? Or, did you just look at pictures and decide that you would take the camper or what? I believe that we can all learn for another person's experience's!
Thanks for the information!
Carl
Old 07-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #7

Georgia
We visually saw / inspected the 5th wheel. In making a purchase like this we knew physically seeing what we were purchasing was a must. Besides, it gave the opportunity for a mini road trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #8

Arkansas
How many Scamps or RVs did you inspect before your found the right one? Did you look at anything beside Scamps?
Old 07-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #9

Georgia
The choice of a Scamp was entirely Elaines, she did all the research. We both had RV experience in a previous life/marriage. Hers was a 22' stick built, while mine was with a popup. She had maid up her mind that the 5TH wheel was what she wanted, and I did agree that it would suit our style the best. So no we did not look at any thing else, and the first one was what she wanted so we made the deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Carl, if you catch the TV show "shipping wars" you can see how it basically works. I agree with doing your own inspection but if you can't there are companies that will do it for you for a slight fee. Wish I would have known that before buying a car from pics and description only on Ebay, would have saved me $6 grand
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #11

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
I also have a scamp 5er. Before you make your first trip please check the welds on the front side of the axle. Mine broke during a snow storm in the middle of Montana. It was an experience I would not want any one else to go through. Got it welded back in place and on that trip put another 5000 miles on it. Have cut axle loose since then and added spacer blocks and 15in wheels. I know you will enjoy your 5er hopefully will meet some day on the road. Herman
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #12

Arkansas
Hi Y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Carl, if you catch the TV show "shipping wars" you can see how it basically works. I agree with doing your own inspection but if you can't there are companies that will do it for you for a slight fee. Wish I would have known that before buying a car from pics and description only on Ebay, would have saved me $6 grand
Dave,
Thanks for advice! I have never heard of these inspection companies. How do I go about finding them? What are they called? Have every used them? Did they do you a good job? Sorry about all of the questions, just trying to learn.
Thanks,
Carl