Hopeful Ontarian - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Name: Presto
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
Hopeful Ontarian

Hey All! The romance of a small Boler/Trillium-type camper has always appealed to me. Now that I have a couple youngsters, I thought that I should pick one up. I've been eyeballing a Trillium that just came up for sale and thought that I should come on here for some research.

Any advice for a newbie? Any red flags or green lights for the rookie Trillium buyer?
Represto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Look for sags in the floor. Take a straight edge to lay on the floor. If it doesn't lay flat. Don't buy. Also look in the dinette seats and inside the gaucho for rot. As long as the glass is still flat this can be fixed, but it is a big job.

There are three jobs to do on all old Trilliums. The belly band, the windows, and the door.
The door sags and must be re-installed.
The wood around the windows, on the inside rots and must be replaced along with the butyl putty.
The belly band leaks, and must be sealed. There are a variety of solutions to this.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #3

Name: Presto
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
Thanks for the reply David. Do these three things also apply to Boler's? Or are there additional concerns with them?

Provided the fibreglass is sound, do you have any idea on the cost of a new paint job?
Represto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have no experience with Bolers. The cost of a paint job totally depends on who does it. Professional paint places will be expensive. Roll and tip method less so.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-57412.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-nh-59493.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
David's Trillium suggestions are pretty much generic to all FGRV's to some extent.

Other general tips...

Always verify that all of the appliances work, have the seller start the refrigerator the day before you get there. LP refrigerators that don't work usually need replacement, about $800+ and no, they can't just be "recharged"
Make sure that the electrical and plumbing systems all work and that there is a battery in place if so equipped.
Check the age of the tires, anything over 5 years old is due for replacement, over 8, replace immediately
Make sure all of the outside tail & running lights work.
When the seller sez "We never used that, but it works" is code for "It doesn't work".
If the seller has any excuses like "we are out of propane and can't run that" of "there must be a fuse blown" or my fav. "That's an easy fix, I just don't have time" you can usually come to the conclusion that they are covering up something.

If it's a real good buy, unless it's close to Hudson's Bay, it usually won't last a week.....

BTW: What will you be towing with????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote