How old is too old to camp. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #41

Name: Richard
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
Dick,
Thanks for starting this thread. Great topic and great posts from everyone. My wife and I are 62 and love camping. Hope we have 20 or 30 more years camping. This is one of the most heart warming threads to come along in a long time!!!!

Donna, Thanks for your typical wonderful posts and response.

jon
Can't agree more about the responses. There is no reason for me not to get on the road and yes maybe there is a lady out there looking for a travelling companion.or just for a coffee or a nice glass of wine.
Thanks everyone
Dick0736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #42

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
And especially if you have a lead on a 4500 and the skills to address what might come you should definitely jump on it. I know I'd love jalousies all the way around. Hope to see pics.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #43

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Red face

go for it. I turned 66 this spring, wife said why not buy a little trailer and give up the tent so I did and bought a 13 ft boler. Loving it and if it rains, I don't care
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #44

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick0736 View Post
Can't agree more about the responses. There is no reason for me not to get on the road and yes maybe there is a lady out there looking for a travelling companion.or just for a coffee or a nice glass of wine.
Thanks everyone
Dick, you're doing my heart good with your attitude. As you well know, life is uncertain, and tomorrow isn't guaranteed. I learned that the very hard way in April when my Mom (who had been the picture of health until last Christmas) passed away from cancer.

When it's all over with, a life well lived means no regrets.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:59 AM   #45

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
I meet a lady the other day at a campground. She is full time and 76.

Three years ago her husband passed from cancer. They had sold their house and decided to full time it. A year in he got sick. He taught her to do it all herself and after he passed she kept going.

She travels with a group of people she has met and does it all herself.

She plans on keeping it up till she can no longer drive and then has made planes to find someone younger to driver her.

Go and live life. And post a picture of your set up wham you get it.
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:52 AM   #46

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On traveling alone, my 2010 truck has a small backup camera. Once I figured out what I was looking at, it works fantastic. Really makes hooking up a breeze!

And backup cameras have improved a lot since 2010 for sure. I'll never have a tow vehicle without one.

And you have a lead on a Trillium 4500? Jump on it quick. They tend to sell within one day. Great trailers!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #47

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I agree about the backup camera on the tow vehicle. It helps so much on hooking up I'd never do without one again.
I'm next going to try one on the trailer also, to see how it helps backing in to sites.

Walt
Old 08-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #48

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I thought Randy nailed it when he said, "When I stop getting older, I will stop camping."

Then, I saw this. Now we can include Grandpa!
Attached Thumbnails
trailer.png  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #49

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hi,
I'm 81 years old, camped most of my life in tent trailers, pop-ups, motor homes etc.
Gave it up when wife passed 3 years ago.
Have my eye on an 1983 Trillium 4500. Decent shape. I love to tinker, familiar with all the issues that can go wrong, I think.
Any thoughts, never camped alone.
Live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Love the look of the Trillium.
Age has nothing to do with camping. If you can drive safely, tow safely, and are alert then do it. I know people around 90 still traveling but they don't act or look that old. So it has all to do with your abilities. So have a great time. You may not have to go far to go camping and have fun. You can also look for others around your age that go camping. We met a group of Good Sam Campers that were all in their 80's-90's. They still camped and traveled some. It all depends on what you want to do.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #50

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Hi,
I'm 81 years old, camped most of my life in tent trailers, pop-ups, motor homes etc.
Have my eye on an 1983 Trillium 4500. Decent shape. I love to tinker, familiar with all the issues that can go wrong, I think.
I like camping alone, it is very relaxing. No need to negotiate all activities or what time you get up and go to bed, stop for a break, take a day off traveling, take an unplanned detour on a moment's change of mind.

A happy marriage is a wonderful thing of course but so is being single and traveling solo. If you feel like being social and are concerned you won't make new friends out on the road then travel with a friendly dog, they are excellent at introducing you to all kinds of new human friends. Plus then you are not really traveling alone, you have a terrific friend traveling with you. One who makes you get up in the morning and get outdoors!

Biggest drawback, sometimes it is one of life's great simple pleasures to have someone make a lovely meal for you where all you have to do is sit down and enjoy it with good company. I feel like that mostly on days when I don't feel like cooking but I still feel like eating something home made.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #51

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'm also 81 and I just got back from an almost 5000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies. Went by myself. Not so much fun by myself but my girlfriend couldn't go this time.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #52

Name: Richard
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Registry
I guess I'm not too old.

Thanks for your responses.
Bought my 1980 Trillium 4500 on Friday, I'm a Happy guy.
Quite a few things didn't work, everything is good now except the furnace which I haven't looked at yet. Overall it's in pretty good shape, redoing the cushions as they are original.
I'm looking at the flooring as well. I was wondering what was there originally!
I expect I'll upgrade the converter to a 30 amp unit. Currently 10 amp.
It's all good fun.
I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with trailer tow package, tows like not really there.
Stops equally well.
Dick0736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #53

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
It may not be practical for everyone to post a reply, but know we're all pleased for you. Very nice.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #54

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Hi,
Dick,

I met a couple accompanied by their 87 year-old mother last week coming down the trail from Wahclella Falls in the Columbia River Gorge.

I say if you've got it, use it!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #55

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle of flight View Post
Last weekend was my grandmothers birthday.. For her birthday she wanted a new push mower so she could mow her own lawn. And for me to take her camping and hiking ti Big South Fork Northern Tennessee. I got her the mower and took her for 5 days. In the 5 days camping, we hiked a total of 18 miles. Some strenuous hikes. By the way, she turned 102. So Hell, Go for it. Have fun and be safe.
:WOW! 102 and here I am at 73 and thinking I'm still travelling but I'm almost to the point of just stopping and sitting in a nice spot for a week now and again. 2009 I headed out on 3 months in Canada, then 3 1/2 months in the USA it was a great trip, met a lot of real nice people here and there. I did it in a old raised roof Dodge Van worked good for one, two for the length of time might of been tough. I traded it for a 2005 Echo when I got home all I can say is I now miss the Echo for the great MPG. Since then my wife's job got made redundant and we now travel every where together and I let her drive the rig, she is way younger than me. Were off again in Sept. for 3 weeks of fun with 3 different groups and a family visit.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #56

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I'm also 81 and I just got back from an almost 5000 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies. Went by myself. Not so much fun by myself but my girlfriend couldn't go this time.
:Bob did you manage to do the Cowboy Trail from Edmonton to Waterton national Prk, My wife and I went to our family reunion in Standard Alberta, from there we got to travel to a private Museum and guess what I got a bit to much sun and passed out for most of the day but my wife got to go. It is called the Museum of Making, It is near Ghost Lake which is just up the road from Cohcrane, Ab. She took lots of pictures so I will get to see some of it. We did not do the Cowboy trail from Edmonton but we did it from Cohcrane to Waterton, Boondocking along the way but the 4 days we spent at Waterton we camped in Pincher Creak the place had reasonable rates and it was about 1 hour to and same back. The Cowboy trail is a quite interesting area. Maybe next year well do it from the beginning.
Stude.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #57

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Cowboy Trail?

Just reading about your journey to Waterton, etc. Where is the Cowboy Trail? I know where the Red Coat Trail is around that country.

What else did you find of interest? After you recovered, that is!

Waterton National Park was so busy this year, they had to stop people from entering! The first time that has ever happened in a Canadian Ntl. Park. Free Park passes for Canada's 150th birthday this year kept all the parks really busy this year.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #58

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Just reading about your journey to Waterton, etc. Where is the Cowboy Trail? I know where the Red Coat Trail is around that country.

What else did you find of interest? After you recovered, that is!

Waterton National Park was so busy this year, they had to stop people from entering! The first time that has ever happened in a Canadian Ntl. Park. Free Park passes for Canada's 150th birthday this year kept all the parks really busy this year.
:They killed a mountain lion when we were there, they ahd removed and it kept coming back into town, it was a young one and found the pickings easy in town. Well we did the boat ride in the old wooden one, went up both side roads, checked out some of the campsites in and around town but decided the drive to Pincher Creek was fine. got pictures of Black Bears, Brown Bears, Eagles, around 60 Big Horn Mountain sheep at different times of the day. Meals were reasonable, Ice Cream Cones were also Reasonable even though Ice Cream is bad for me I feel one or 2 a year will not kill me right away. We tow a 1996 Suzuki X90 behind our rig, works out as only made for 2. Yes it was busy from the time we arrived until the time we left just before dark, Even the boat trip down into Montana past the 49th was Reasonable. We Left Cochrane and drove down #22 and I think we traveled on #6 the last few miles. We were thinking of going back to the USA but as we already had our Duty Free we decided maybe next year to do Glacier Park but in the car as mh is 30'. I would like to find a U-Haul trailer with pop top roof with twin beds but it will have to be in Canada as our dollar cannot afford US Trailers. The Actual Cowboy trail starts just west of Edmonton and travels all the way down #22, nice tidy little towns to drive through just east of the Rockies, plus next time were going to travel as much of Kananaskis to boot as it is just west of @22.
Stude
Old 08-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #59

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I worked in the office at a factory direct 5th wheel manufacturer, an 83 year old gentleman made an inquiry about getting a 5th wheel for full-timing. He was interested in a 20 something foot model, and was a retired carpenter who wanted to travel as a missionary that stayed on the grounds of churches where he would be doing volunteer work on their properties.

Well, he picked out what he wanted with the help of the owner, a very kind man. His kids called! They wanted the owner to not sell their father a trailer. Well, this kind owner talked everything through with the older gentleman, and he was really torn. Ultimately, the owner being 70 years old, appreciating the buyer's desire to volunteer in this way, and ultimately feeling after talking with him that he could not refuse to sell him the trailer.

The gentleman was still traveling a couple of years when I left. He called twice for technical help, he opened the slide and stuck it in a hill, and got sort of caught under an awning when getting gas, but nothing that couldn't be talked through.

The thing is, I have known many older people having lived among snowbirds and the elderly of Kansas (we have many), some of the people in their 80s are much more alert and sharper than some in their 40s. I have learned that making allowances, doing things a little different now that I am in my 60s is working.

All my best, just do it!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #60

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Richard and All,

Great thread! Just finished my 2nd cup of coffee as I caught up on responses. We have a pork butt in the crock pot. I am taking off from work today to take in the solar eclipse and our minute or so of totality today!!! Yesterday, we went down to Nashville to meet with some RVing friends from New Jersey that were in town along with another couple from Nashville and their family that all RV. We had a 2.5 hour dinner of non-stop talking about RVing and travel. When finished, Laura and I checked out the Nashville Camping World and walked and drove through 3 campgrounds just to check out the sites, to look at people's RVs, and to chat a bit. We finished with an ice cream cone before heading home. Today, I was listening to one of many RV/Travel YouTube channels that I subscribe to and found out that Sean from Long Long Honeymoon (Sean and Kristy) has a brain tumor. Luckily, it is not cancerous, but the current prognosis in not clear at this point. So, as Laura and I anticipate the eclipse, think about our lovely day with RVing friends yesterday, think about Sean, and read this thread, I continue to be inspired to work harder to achieve our goals of more camping and more RVing. Getting ready to sell our house to downsize to a smaller house. I am giving up my administrative university appointment on 12/31/17 to resume full-time teaching at the university for a few more years. The goal is to pursue time more than money as an empty nest couple that recognizes the adventures out there and the limited time to pursue them. I appreciate this thread for helping me to focus on what is important.

Best to all,

Dean