How old is too old to camp. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we were camping in Wisconsin last summer the gentleman in the next campsite was 94 year young .His wife had recently passed away and said he was lonely sitting around the house by himself
so he bought a new Alliner and hit the road.
He was a WW2 bomber pilot and one of the first computer engineers . We all sat around the campfire that weekend while he told stories and we were thoroughly entertained .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dick,,

Ginny and I are 75 this coming week. We intend to travel in our Scamp until someone takes the keys to our tow vehicle. In our FL home park we have one member who is 93 and still drives, takes his Rv out, actually all over the country.

You'll know when to stop. if you have the itch, do it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:00 AM   #23

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Successful organisms adapt. In my case, notage but physical limitations and chronic pain. I went from backpacking and canoe camping to car camping. The past couple of years, up to 12/01/16, I just got more and more depressed. Didn't realize how bad till I toured the LilSnoozy factory. Been feeling better every time we head out. (Went on a month long camping trip in June-the camper bed is so much more comfortable than the home beds)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #24

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
You are NEVER TOO OLD to go camping. If you are willing and able, go out and do what you enjoy. Don't let People or Society tell you what you can or can not do. You are the only one that knows your limits and it is for you to decide when you are not able to do something.

You will certainly meet a lot of New Friends along the way.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick0736 View Post
Hi,
I'm 81 years old, camped most of my life in tent trailers, pop-ups, motor homes etc.
Gave it up when wife passed 3 years ago.
Have my eye on an 1983 Trillium 4500. Decent shape. I love to tinker, familiar with all the issues that can go wrong, I think.
Any thoughts, never camped alone.
Live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Love the look of the Trillium.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #25

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
I'm female and 73 and I ONLY camp alone. And ONLY on public lands. I've never had any problems with being alone. The worst was a herd of coyotes surrounding my Scamp but not really dangerous, meeeky a little frightening when they stayed for an hour. I only camp in autumn so I was alone at the state park where the coyotes and donkeys hung out.
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I checked and my bones are no creakier after sleeping in an RV, than if I sleep at home. ...BTW, Turmeric, fish oil, & resveratrol all help.

But I am too old to sleep on the ground.

Take the backroads and avoid rush hour.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #27

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
At 82 and leaving this week to pick up my new Escape I prefer to think you have a lot of camping years ahead of you.
I really like RandyB's response.
Go for it and be sure to let us know.

Walt
Old 08-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #28

Name: Richard
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Registry
Excellent comments continue to come in.
I believe I'm convinced. Was out yesterday looking at and making friends with the Trillium 4500. Looks like we may go steady.
Thanks everyone
Dick0736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #29

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Dick,
I hope we meet some day. I love sitting around the campfire and learning from the elder campers.... I'm 64 hehehe still camping and still learning.
Charlie
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #30

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Not too old.

Last weekend was my grandmothers birthday.. For her birthday she wanted a new push mower so she could mow her own lawn. And for me to take her camping and hiking ti Big South Fork Northern Tennessee. I got her the mower and took her for 5 days. In the 5 days camping, we hiked a total of 18 miles. Some strenuous hikes. By the way, she turned 102. So Hell, Go for it. Have fun and be safe.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Hi,
I'm 81 years old, camped most of my life in tent trailers, pop-ups, motor homes etc.
Have my eye on an 1983 Trillium 4500. Decent shape. I love to tinker, familiar with all the issues that can go wrong, I think.
I am in my 80,s and tow my U-Haul from long island ny to the lake George ny 4 or 5 times a year about 200 miles each way. Like you did the motor home thing across the USA 4 times. Wife got tired of it so sold . A year later bought this u haul 13 and haven't stopped. Great for a one man deal. On the way to Gettysburg's bluegrass fest, Always meet some one so never really alone. So keep on trucking to we buy the farm.
Philmay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #32

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Thanks for the phrase 'dirt nap'.
I'm 71, still motorcycle camping and Bigfoot travelling with my significant other. Yukon this Fall on the bike. Going back next year with the BF.
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #33

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Not too sure but 65 isn't too old.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #34

Name: Sunshine33
Trailer: Scamp
Delaware
Registry
Too Old??

We just bought our Scamp 13' this past year.
We figured we better get out there and see some of the places we want to see before we can no longer do that.
Have fun, meet great friendly people, and camp until you can't.
Joe and Ann
sUNSHINE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #35

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
You are too old to camp when a couple of 20 year-olds can push your trailer faster than you typically tow it!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #36

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Sorry to hear your wife died...

However, you didn't. If you feel like going, go! I'd say you're too old to go when you feel too old to go.

DonnaD gives good advice, as ever. Everyone did above. My best to you and your new adventures!

Kai
Old 08-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I guess when the government takes away my license is when I'll have to stop towing, legally.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #38

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
Dear Richard
I'm a mere 78 and am just starting mjy camping again. I have 71 Campster I'm working on. I have had it out once and have 2 local rallies coming up. I should have all the necessities taken care of this year. Will be ready for lots more outings next year
I share your concerns regarding age. I'm learning how to handle bad backs, medications and stuff. Does seem to limit the trip distance some
SO, if you're able to, then do it. And if you make it to the West Coast, please know that I will provide accomodations for you and your trailer. I will treat you right because I respect my elders! Welcome to the Old Farts Club
Roger in Pioneer California
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #39

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Dick,
Thanks for starting this thread. Great topic and great posts from everyone. My wife and I are 62 and love camping. Hope we have 20 or 30 more years camping. This is one of the most heart warming threads to come along in a long time!!!!

Donna, Thanks for your typical wonderful posts and response.

jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #40

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Hi,
ick hit t he road running and really enjoy your self one never knows what is around the next corner in life nor do they know what is on the other side of the mtn. Heck I can see you enjoying life all over again and who knows another lady might be out there waiting to do the same thing u want to do.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote