Howdy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #1

Name: bartholomew
Trailer: searching
North Carolina
Howdy

Wifey and I have decided to get a travel trailer and in my research I came across the fiber rv's. I think I want one.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to the group, it's a great place to find info.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #3

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Welcome...I just got a Amerigo and did not realize how cool these little campers are. Good luck in finding the right camper!
hotrodaj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
While you familiarize yourself with what's available, think about what you really need. What kind of trips are you going to take; weekend, cross country? Who will be traveling with you. You and the wife.....grandkids? Check out campgrounds in your intended area of travel. Will you want electric, water and sewer hookups? If not your trailer will need to be more self contained. Is your current vehicle an appropriate tow for the trailer you want, or will you have to upgrade? Need I ask, "What is the budget?"

Of course this isn't intended to be an exhaustive list. I just want to give you some idea of things you need to think about. This is all part of the adventure.

My wife and I tent camped for 30 years or so, and finally got tired of getting up off of the ground in the morning. We decided to go for a trailer. However, we didn't want to get too far from our tent camping roots.

Originally, I was enamored of teardrops and was looking at designs and making plans. Laura asked if there was a way to put a toilet in a teardrop, and the plan got bigger. Then, "Is there any way to put a shower in there?

Well, it was time to look at manufactured trailers. We found out really quick that you better know your needs before looking. Very quickly everything we looked at went well beyond our requirements. I happened on the Little Joe by accident perusing the Casita forum. The measurements were roughly the same as my utility trailer, so using blue painters tape I laid out the floorplan on the trailer floor. We checked it out for a couple of days and decided it was worth the 7 hour drive to Ft Worth to look at it.

We went, we saw, we checked, we brought it home. It suits us admirably.

By the way, porta pottie, no shower. This travel trailer thing is a long series of compromises.

Your journey may be different, but I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as we did. And in the end, if you do your homework and choose what works for you, the adventure is just beginning.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
While you familiarize yourself with what's available, think about what you really need. What kind of trips are you going to take; weekend, cross country? Who will be traveling with you. You and the wife.....grandkids? Check out campgrounds in your intended area of travel. Will you want electric, water and sewer hookups? If not your trailer will need to be more self contained. Is your current vehicle an appropriate tow for the trailer you want, or will you have to upgrade? Need I ask, "What is the budget?"

Of course this isn't intended to be an exhaustive list. I just want to give you some idea of things you need to think about. This is all part of the adventure.

My wife and I tent camped for 30 years or so, and finally got tired of getting up off of the ground in the morning. We decided to go for a trailer. However, we didn't want to get too far from our tent camping roots.

Originally, I was enamored of teardrops and was looking at designs and making plans. Laura asked if there was a way to put a toilet in a teardrop, and the plan got bigger. Then, "Is there any way to put a shower in there?

Well, it was time to look at manufactured trailers. We found out really quick that you better know your needs before looking. Very quickly everything we looked at went well beyond our requirements. I happened on the Little Joe by accident perusing the Casita forum. The measurements were roughly the same as my utility trailer, so using blue painters tape I laid out the floorplan on the trailer floor. We checked it out for a couple of days and decided it was worth the 7 hour drive to Ft Worth to look at it.

By the way, porta pottie, no shower. This travel trailer thing is a long series of compromises.

Your journey may be different, but I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as we did. And in the end, if you do your homework and choose what works for you, the adventure is just beginning.

Clif
Cliff,
Thanks for sharing your wisdom with the forum! One thing that I am learning about camping and traveling with your wife, is that there is a lot of give and take, on both sides. Before purchasing any type of camper, you need to sit down and have a good discussion with your wife to see what all of the requirements are going to be. Then try to match your requirements to your money that is in the budget!
Good luck,

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
40 years this December..........don't have to be camping for the give and take, eh?
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomew View Post
Wifey and I have decided to get a travel trailer and in my research I came across the fiber rv's. I think I want one.
The best thread on this forum and the best place to start your research on what you want and what you can pull with whatever vehicle you are going to be using for towing is the Trailer Weights in The Real World thread.

Most of the trailers on the list were weighed in at arrival at a full service campground. loaded for camping, but its a good bet few were carrying much if any water in their tanks.

Lots of people make the mistake of seriously underestimating what their trailers weigh and believe the trailer manufactures dry weights without realizing it does not include much in the way of extra's - often not even the battery or propane tank - so awnings, fridges, bathrooms, ac etc are often not included in dry weights either. It all adds up. Often what happens is not only does the party end up buying a new trailer but after a few tows they realize they need a new tow vehicle as well.

Underestimating the weight of the trailer can be a pricey mistake.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #8

North Carolina
Thank you all for the great responses. I will keep you up dated on our progression

Bartholomew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post

Clif
Cliff,

Your post has been very helpful to us. I really appreciate you taking the time. Y
We are now really talking about the points that you made. Thanks again

Bartholomew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fiberglass RV mobile app