Howdy! Big ol' Newbie here researching lightweight trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Michigan
Howdy! Big ol' Newbie here researching lightweight RVs

Hi all! I joined up so I could get some information and advice on buying a RV. It'll be my first RV, and I've been doing quite a bit of research over the past few months. My partner and I are looking to be on the road traveling more often and would like a small traveling home to take with us when we don't have a friend to stay with in the places we go. However, we do have the limitation of only having a Ford Flex with a Class I tow package. So that limits us to 2000Lbs towing capacity. I've been searching and searching for a RV that might fit the bill.

Here's our current list of requirements:
-decent insulation (doesn't have to be winter-proof or anything, I just don't want to be baking during the summer)
-AC
-My partner is tallish, so he wants something with decent head room (over 7' is preferable)
-queen bed
-toilet and shower (wet bath is fine)
-stove
-sink
-fridge
-counter space of some kind for food prep (we cook a lot)
-enough space for two people and two medium sized dogs to have a place to sleep without the dogs piling on the bed (because they make sleeping impossible lol)

I've recently been interested in the Scamp 13'. However, since I'm a noob at all this, I thought I'd get some advice from people with more experience.
yeswonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Welcome! A couple of comments come to my mind. First, your Flex should be able to accept a stronger hitch receiver and stuff that could allow you to tow more; check with a dealer who can tell you what you'd need to add. Second, I think that the newer (built after the factory fire) Scamps have more interior height than the older ones. Third, the biggest bed in a Scamp is only the width of a double bed, minus rounding at the corners.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
Under 2000 lbs

Hi Shannon,

We also have a 2000 lb tow limit. I'm going to look at the Happier Camper HC-1 this month. It has great head room. It doesn't meet all of your requirements at first glance, but it is very "flex-ible". See what I did there :-)

We are a family of 4 and are tentatively planning on getting AC, a Pelican cooler, outside PETT toilet with privacy tent. Don't care so much about showers but could rig something up in the privacy tent if needed. We already have a stove and plan on cooking outside most of the time. We are coming from tent camping and are mostly looking to do 2-4 day trips.

Mike - I am interested in what you said about the 2000 lb tow limit. I thought that was just a flat number, set in stone the day the model came out. You say it could me more "flex-ible" with a different setup? I wonder because we have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 with the bigger 2.5 L Skyactiv engine. No matter, towing capacity is still listed at 2000 lbs. what gives? Still fun to drive, though.
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #4

Michigan
All these Flex puns. I love it

Yeah, there are different towing packages on the Flex. I'm not sure how modifiable the vehicle is once it's made with a certain package. I can check with my dealership, though.

And thank you for pointing out the discrepancy with the Scamps. For some reason I had read that they had queen beds, but alas, I misread. It looks like some at least have double. Though my bear-like partner takes up a lot of space (and flails around at night!). Not sure if a double would cut it.

Heck, I may just sell my Flex and get a 4Runner so I can increase towing capacity. I got the Flex after someone hit my Subaru Forester, totaling her (RIP Happy) and my dad was selling the Flex for cheap. But now it looks like I can sell it for about the same amount that a 4Runner is worth at equivalent mileage.
Hmmm...The machinations continue.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If you do trade up, get a tow package if you can. They usually include a larger alternator, transmission cooler, and other features to improve your towing experience and safety.

I don't know the rating of the 4-Runner, but if you can get up around the 4-5,000 range, that opens up a lot of options that would come closer to meeting your needs - Casita 17', Escape, larger Scamps, etc.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #6

Michigan
The 4Runner is rated 5000lbs (V6) to 7300lbs (V8) on the older models I'm looking at. And yes, definitely refining my search to include a tow package

How is the insulation on those you listed? We don't mind cold so much, it's just when things warm up we both have a very difficult time sleeping.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeswonderful View Post
The 4Runner is rated 5000lbs (V6) to 7300lbs (V8) on the older models I'm looking at. And yes, definitely refining my search to include a tow package

How is the insulation on those you listed? We don't mind cold so much, it's just when things warm up we both have a very difficult time sleeping.
We had a 2009 Casita. They, and I think the Scamp, have the rat fur interior. We camped a couple of times in below freezing weather and got by pretty well. We did have the optional furnace.

We had the roof air but seldom used it in the NW. Usually, the fantastic fan created enough air movement to keep us comfortable. The roof air also had a heat strip.

Note: We had the 17' FD. This model as a smallish queen bed and captains chairs. If we were to get a new one, we would probably choose the Liberty, so we wouldn't need to climb over each other at night.

As I recall, ceiling height was about 6'2", adequate for me at 5'11". Our weight was 3300 loaded with 315 tongue weight. We towed with a Ridgeline.

You could tow our current fiberglass trailer with the Flex but we are keeping it.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Red face Hi big ol newbie

I am 6'2" and my partner and I have a 13 ft Burro. We sleep fine with two small dogs on the floor. We also cook a lot. I have an 8000 btu ac that freeze us out. We have done some nice mods on it. We put in laminate floors, I took out the bunk and put a 33 inch tall frige in the middle. We leave the bed made up always. I have two totes that fit under the bed for storage. I built shelves in the little closet. Get a lot more clothes folded in there than on hangars. We are real casual anyway. Don't dress up any more. I extended the counter top from the edge of the stove all the way over to the top of the frige. That gives only one seat to the right of the frige. Much more counter space. We usually eat outside anyway. That freed up the space under the stove to build in a microwave and shelving for food storage. We put the laptop on the counter and watch movies when it is raining. We are both in to hiking so most of the day we are outside. Fully loaded the burro weighs 1100 pounds. We pull it with a 2.5 four cylinder Nissan Frontier Pick up. We did a 5 month trip west last year. No problems. We live in middle Tennessee and camp a lot around here in the mountains. no trouble pulling the higher elevations. I will try to make some pictures to post later. I am not good at that but maybe I can figure it out. Good luck finding one. Joe
Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
ABK

Name: AB
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
According to Ford you can tow a 4,500 pound trailer if you have a Weight Distribution Hitch and the tongue weight is no more than 450 pounds. May need the Class III hitch option fo the 4,500#
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...flex_sep28.pdf
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We have a (post fire) 13' Scamp purchased new in 2011. I am short at 5'4" and my husband is 5'10". We are both of average weight. The bed is 45" wide and we are VERY SNUG sleeping side by side, shoulder to shoulder, although we can each stretch out flat. We have found that we sleep with more comfort if we sleep "head to foot". We each have shoulder room that way. Personally, I do not think a person over 6' would be comfortable standing or sleeping in the 13' Scamp.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:10 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
We have a (post fire) 13' Scamp purchased new in 2011. I am short at 5'4" and my husband is 5'10". We are both of average weight. The bed is 45" wide and we are VERY SNUG sleeping side by side, shoulder to shoulder, although we can each stretch out flat. We have found that we sleep with more comfort if we sleep "head to foot". We each have shoulder room that way. Personally, I do not think a person over 6' would be comfortable standing or sleeping in the 13' Scamp.
We tried all ways, found if we slept shoulder to shoulder and used separate cover blankets, it was much more comfortable. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #12

Michigan
Thanks for all the good info, folks! I'm choosing between a 4Runner and Jeep Grand Cherokee at this point for towing, which would give me more wiggle room in terms of trailer weights. 5000lbs for the 4Runner, and a Jeep with a towing package can do something like 6000lbs depending on the year of the vehicle.

In terms of sleeping space, I am a /very/ light sleeper. Even in our queen bed at home I will occasionally be woken up by a stray arm nudging against me or one of our dogs deciding to lay at the foot of the bed. So I definitely need a queen size bed in an RV or else I probably won't get any sleep.

I'll check out the ones you all have recommended so far. Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There's an EggCamper for sale right now in Michigan. Huge bed, tons of headroom, bathroom, nicely decorated, not too heavy, decent price (and it sounds like there might be some wiggle room). Only drawback is the fridge and water heater may be electric only- check with the seller. It does have a propane stove, though.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post607898
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight, light