Howdy from Oregon/Washington! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Smile Howdy from Oregon/Washington!

Hello campers!

My name is Amy and I'm excited to join your online fiberglass community!

Unfortunately, I'm currently truck-less and camper-less *sad trombone* but I'm on the hunt and remaining hopeful. My dream is to work remotely while RV-ing full-time with my 6-year-old black German Shepherd, Tala.

Looking forward to reading about your experiences and soaking up as much knowledge as I can.

Happy trails!
- Amy
aimaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Good luck on your hunt and welcome to the forum.

Walt
Old 09-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Ann!

By starting from scratch, the upside is you're not in the position of limiting yourself based on the tow rating of a vehicle you already own. Start by thinking about how you will travel, where you will camp (location as well as type of campsite, from remote boondocking to full-service RV parks), climate and season, and what features you want or need (helps to separate the two).

Once you have a general idea about your minimum trailer requirements, you can determine how much vehicle you will need to tow it. There's often some give-and-take on both sides to get a good match you're comfortable with. To assist in choosing a vehicle, this spreadsheet (maintained by forum member Jon Vermilye) contains helpful information about how much different trailers really weigh (click to download): Trailer Weights in the Real World Spreadsheet

Of course budget comes into play, and the bad news is now is just about the worst time in recent memory to be shopping for a vehicle and a molded fiberglass trailer. Prices are high, inventories low, and selection limited. You've probably already noticed. If you're in a hurry, expect to make some significant compromises. If you are patient (and gradually increase your budget as you are looking), more options will open up.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Welcome and happy shopping.