Howdy from San Francisco!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #1

Name: Johnny
Trailer: 1977 Scamp
California
Howdy from San Francisco!!!

Hello All!

My name is Johnny and from the San Francisco Bay Area. This past weekend (the 18th) my fiancé (Danielle), daughter (Lily) and I drove down to LA to pick up a 1977 13 foot Scamp! We were gifted the Scamp from a family member. We did the trip in one day. We have a 9 Day trip to Yellowstone planned in June and aiming to have the Scamp ready for that trip!

I started gutting in on Sunday and have it ready for paint, flooring and new cabinet doors!

Very excited! So far I'm going to re-purpose some Purple Heart for the closet door, re-purpose some some hand stained Blue shelving for the smaller cabinet doors. Going with SmartCore flooring (SoHo Oak) & washable paint for the interior (a light Grey with cream for all the fiber glass and trimming). We're aiming for a rustic, warm feel.

I'll post pictures of before and after soon!
thatuglyhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group
Before you set out on that trip be sure to check the dates codes on the tires. Anything over 6 years old should be replaced regardless of how good they look. A tire blowout on the road will ruin an otherwise good day.
Also, unless there are maintenance records indicating otherwise, you will want to get the wheel bearings inspected and repacked, ditto for bearing failures.

And right now is when you should have already made reservations in Yellowstone N.P.

Good Luck
Bob Miller
S.F. N8IVE

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

Name: Johnny
Trailer: 1977 Scamp
California
Thank you Bob! Bearings are good had them checked, tires are under two years old and reservations made! Good looking out!
thatuglyhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would not use purple heart wood for the closet door. That door would end up very heavy for its size. You would be adding allot of stress in a very bad place. Keep the doors as light as you can. Allot of people have lost their doors bouncing around in a trailer. Some people have allergic reactions to purple heart so be careful with it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
FWIW all the cabinet doors in our CompactII are hollow core but only about 1/2 inch thick. The two doors on the toilet closet are pretty big but very light. It is very thin stock frames with veneer on both sides.
Might be why Hinter claimed 800 lbs dry weight

Happy travels!

Denece

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: Hunter
California
Welcome and congratulations on your new Scamp. You have come to the right place for good info.
Homeofmyown is offline   Reply With Quote