Hunting for our first egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Hunting for our first egg

I'll put the short version up front. We are an early-30s working couple looking for a trailer to get away on long weekends and rare longer trips. We are looking at used fiberglass trailers around/under 3000lbs UVW with a flush toilet, A/C and heat, kitchenette, and sleeping for 3 or more. Our budget is approximately $10,000, so I think we should be looking at early- to mid-2000s models. (End short version.)

My wife and I both love traveling and camping, but her idea of camping is not as rustic as mine. If it doesn't have flush toilets, we don't go! I grew up tent camping, while she grew up surrounded by 40' 5th wheels and toy haulers. To this day nearly every member of her family owns a fancy trailer and truck to go with it. Meanwhile, my parents have been using the same tent for 35 years!

After a few hit-and-miss tent camping adventures together--and more than a few high-priced cabin and lodge rentals--we decided it was time to treat ourselves. We talked about wants and musts, and settled on:

Musts:
-Towable by our new SUV, a Toyota Highlander with factory tow package rated at 5000lbs
-Flush toilet
-Sleeping for 3 or more (planning for kid(s) in the near future)
-Kitchenette
-A/C and Heat (for 3 or 4 season camping)

Wants:
-Option to leave a bed made up
-Shower
-Dry bath
-TV
-Solar hookups
-Travel ready (we don't have room to store or work on the trailer on our property)

As we started looking at light weight trailers, Scamp was one of the first names we came across. To my surprise, my wife loved the "egg," but I wasn't sold--seemed too expensive and too simple. I researched light weight conventional trailers including the Apex Nano line from Coachmen, Aspen Trail from Dutchmen, and Minnie from Winnebago. They look nice in pictures, but I found a lot of complaints about shoddy workmanship and poor customer service.

I researched teardrop campers including the Sol by InTech, T@B 400 by NuCamp, and Little Guy Max and Mini Max, but the price tags on those are upwards of $20,000 new and there is no used market to speak of.

Finally I circled back around to molded fiberglass trailers. We started to think about how much time we're really going to spend inside the camper, and for that amount of time does it really need to look like the Winnebago pictures? I've read about many happy owners, supportive communities, and durable trailers. They seem to be that happy middle ground between mass produced junk trailers and handcrafted trendy teardrops. I'm maintaining a list that includes all of the trailers listed above for comparison, as well as the following molded fiberglass trailers:

Scamp 16' Layout 4 or 6
Casita Spirit Deluxe 16' or 17'
Escape 17' Layout B
ParkLiner
Oliver Legacy Elite (a man can dream!)

With our $10,000 purchase budget, it looks like we need be looking for an early- to mid-2000s model of either a Scamp or Casita. I haven't found enough used Escapes or ParkLiners to determine when/if they get to $10,000. I've joined several Facebook groups, including the group for fiberglass-rv-4sale, and have started regularly checking Craigslist and RVtrader. I'm also learning to weed through the scammers on Craigslist

Do you have suggestions for additional campers to add to my list? Are there more places we should be looking?

I'm looking forward to reading about the ins and outs of travel trailer maintenance and everyone's adventures, tricks of the trade, and maybe someday making it to some of the rallies to meet more eggs!
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Welcome. We have a Scamp 16' side dinette front bath, style 6. AC, furnace. We have almost all the options available in 2014. We have the small fridge B/C we are only two. We didn't get the awning B/C we use the Clam Screen Room. You can sleep 3. If the two of you sleep in back and one sleeps on the side bunk. We keep the bed set up full time in the back and have the side dinette set up for meals and snacks and games. This past year I have been sleeping on the side bunk so we do not have to disturb one another when we have to use the bathroom. I am up early so i put the bunk back to a dinette. Takes only a minute, i use a bed roll so i just roll it up, nothing fancy for me. We are in our 70's. A medium size dog camps with us. Well again welcome and good luck for what you are looking for
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

Name: Andrey
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Registry
U can add Bigfoot to the list. More used ones available (than Oliver's and Escapes), although not much in 10k range. Bigfoot is heavier.

There are also a number of manufacturers that are no longer made. Most are too'vintage' for my taste (enough tinkering with a newer one!). Burro seems to have shutdown relatively recently. I've seen those for under 10K.

We removed 16ft Casita from consideration due to low ceiling height

Here's a little comparison table I threw together. May not be 100% accurate
Attached Thumbnails
trailer_comparison.PNG  
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
At the $10k budget point, you should be able to find a nice Scamp or Casita that has most of your requirements. Escape, Bigfoot, and others will typically cost a lot more. The vintage ones which I like, rarely will have all the features on your list.

The good news is here in the USA, Scamp and Casita tend to be the most plentiful. Still need to move quickly when you see one that meets your needs.

I wouldn't add more camper brands to your list unless more budget comes your way.

Don't be surprised you may have to drive a fair distance to find the "right" trailer. Our last two were ten hours away and twelve hours away (one way).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a Casita 16 Deluxe model is around 2000 lbs empty/dry, and has a GVW of 3500 lbs, but I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to stay just under 3000 lbs by not overpacking, even with full water and propane tanks.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hunting for our first egg

In your size and budget range, the one thing on your list you cannot have in molded fiberglass is a dry bath. They're all wet baths. Personally I wouldn't make that a deal-breaker, just a small adjustment you'll make to gain more space for other things.

Our tiny 13' Scamp works well for the short trips we take within the Southwest. It really is amazingly usable for such a small package and comfortably accommodates our family of four.

If we ever decide we need something larger, it will be another molded trailer, probably another Scamp. I've owned other types of RV's, and I've become convinced the advantages of the fiberglass shell are well worth the higher cost and smaller size.

Much of that higher purchase price comes back to you when it's time to sell. Molded fiberglass has among the lowest depreciation rates of any RV type.

With 15-20 year old units, it's important to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. If routine maintenance has been neglected, rotted floors and other serious issues can result. Appliances have finite lifespans, as do wiring and plumbing, plastic fittings and other bits and pieces. Most of those things are the same as you find on any RV type.

Best wishes as you search for the right solution to your travel needs!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #7

California
Thanks for all the responses. We're not tied to the $10k figure. Between 10k-15k is fine, but we figured 10k would leave us plenty of wiggle room to address issues and redecorate. If that perfect camper shows up, we can budge We'd like to make a purchase by next spring so we have some time to hunt.

As for inspections, any recommendations on finding an inspector? I've seen NRVIA mentioned in an article. I can follow a checklist just fine, but my eyes aren't trained to pick over a trailer.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
...As for inspections, any recommendations on finding an inspector? I've seen NRVIA mentioned in an article. I can follow a checklist just fine, but my eyes aren't trained to pick over a trailer.
That's a tough one, particularly with molded fiberglass, because you never know where a used trailer will turn up. If it's local, you could ask other RV owners in your area for the name of a reputable RV shop or mobile tech. But if it's in another city or state, it's harder. You don't have a lot of time, as the good ones often sell quickly.

There is a checklist on this site oriented toward molded fiberglass trailers (More tab - Document Center - Buyer's Checklist). Perhaps you could find someone with RV experience to go with you the first time and help you go through the list. Because of your location you probably won't be able to test plumbing in the winter. You'll have to take a chance on that based on the condition of everything else.

You are wise to keep a portion of your budget in reserve for reconditioning expenses. As you say, it also gives you some wiggle room. Your budget seems quite reasonable for a decent used molded trailer in the 16-17' class.

Your biggest challenge will be the lack of units for sale in the snow belt during winter.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Had you not stipulated -Towable by our new SUV, a Toyota Highlander with factory tow package rated at 5000lbs, I would be recommending Scamp 19 (in terms of towing dynamics it is a 5th wheel). More room, loft bed, room for two of you and kids, etc. I think it is the smallest 5th wheel camper available.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #10

Name: Andrey
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Registry
I had this saved for 16 vs 17 Casita when we just started looking, which crossed 16' Casita off our list. I think casita 17 also gets overhead bins.

16 ft vs. 17 ft. - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums

Quote:
the biggest difference between 16 and 17 would be the raised roof. It allows 6'4" headroom vs 5'10" in the 16 ft. I am 5'10" and would brush the roof of the 16' and I am bald enough as it is 🙂
the bed in the 17' is 54" wide, in the 16' it is 48" wide.
I sold my 16 ft to get a 17 ft. You get a frig that is 3-4 times as big with a freezer in the 17 ft. . You get a full length closet because the a/c is on the roof which cools the Casita much better. Y
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #11

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I'm on my 5th fiberglass trailer now and I long ago decided on the strategy of buying the most trailer my budget will allow, providing it's camping ready now. Given that stipulation I can handle upgrades, minor repairs and mods over time as funds accrue, and wind up with something I'm really happy with. And I find accomplishing gradual upgrades is very satisfying.

Walt
Old 11-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
I had this saved for 16 vs 17 Casita when we just started looking, which crossed 16' Casita off our list. I think casita 17 also gets overhead bins.

16 ft vs. 17 ft. - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums
That's great info about the 16' vs 17'. We're not tall people, but with shoes on I'd be bumping my head in the 16'. Sadly I see more 16' SDs for sale than 17's, though I guess that should say something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Had you not stipulated -Towable by our new SUV, a Toyota Highlander with factory tow package rated at 5000lbs, I would be recommending Scamp 19 (in terms of towing dynamics it is a 5th wheel). More room, loft bed, room for two of you and kids, etc. I think it is the smallest 5th wheel camper available.
Some day we'd love to get a 5th wheel, probably after retirement, and at that point we'll really splurge. This time around we got the Highlander to split the difference between practical and fun, and so far no regrets. We're not due for another new car for another 5 years and I'm not waiting that long to get a trailer!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
If going new, I'd recommend Escape as I have had a Scamp and a Casita 17LD. Both are good trailers for 2 people for short trips. More than 2 weeks and to include pets or grandkids will need more room. We decided on an Escape 21 due to grandkids and 3 small dogs. I believe the craftmanship to be better on the Escape than the others, although nothing is perfect. If going used as an entry, the Casita 17 is my recommend. You can go bigger in a few years and sell the old one of either brand without much of a loss.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #14

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I LOVED the 2010, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe I bought new in August of 2010. I picked it up at the factory in Rice, TX an (also in TX). Larry & Deb Are GREAT people who have owned a Casita for 20+ years. Find them at Home | Little House Customs Eileen Glick (aka "AZ Eileen") has written a wonderful book/ebook on Casita trailers. Her book has a wealth of information and, much of it would apply to other fiberglass trailers. ANYONE interested in fiberglass trailers (Casitas especially) would do well to get Eileen's book (CASITA TRAVEL TRAILER A-Z OWNER'S GUIDE"). Find Eileen at LoveMyCasita . Three people will be tight (especially during inclement weather) but, it IS doable. I've met several couples who full time in their Casitas.

Since you mention that you might be able to go as high as $15,000, you should be able to find a later model egg that's in good condition. My Casita was super easy to maintain (which is typical for fiberglass trailers). Because people usually love their "eggs" they don't come up for sale in the used market as often as "regular" trailers. When you see a solid candidate, be ready to pounce (or another buyer will)!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #15

Name: Ken
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
We got a late 1990s Bigfoot 17 last year in Canada for about 8,500 US funds after the exchange. Everything works and we love it. I think you might go a bit older with a Bigfoot because they are particularly rugged and durable.
kenmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:13 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmitchell View Post
We got a late 1990s Bigfoot 17 last year in Canada for about 8,500 US funds after the exchange. Everything works and we love it. I think you might go a bit older with a Bigfoot because they are particularly rugged and durable.
I like the 17 ft Bigfoots for the amount of light they can let in, their durability, and the ability to use them year round. Problem is they are native to BC, which is 4,000 miles round trip for us. Does the rear gaucho layout block access to the bathroom with the bed made up?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
Never a Scamp again for me.

I have owned a Scamp 13, Trillium 1300, and currently a Trillium 4500. The problem I see with a Scamp is the design of the steel frame and fiberglass at the floor area. On the right front side of the frame, just under the fiberglass, is a poor design the may have been improve in newer models but after having that area of the frame on ours crack and break off while camping. The fiberglass is molded around the frame so you can't just unbolt the frame and jack the body up to do a repair you have to cut the fiberglass out of that section to get to the area to do a repair by either fish plating and or adding angle or channel iron to reinforce it, a major job. The proper repair would be replace the frame.

I would buy a 17 Casita if I were to buy another egg as they are a well built unit and the frame and fiberglass is easy to inspect and do go for the 17 because of the taller inside height as it appeals to more at time of resale for you and advertise it as suited for taller people. Yes the Escape and some of the others are better built and more expensive, but a Casita that has been cared for should last for many years. They are usually cheaper to buy and more of them for sale. If you see one that looks good move to buy it ASAP or it will be gone, good eggs sell fast and vintage one do also.

If you Google Scamp frame problem you will see what others say also. Illinois is a wet state and has salty roads which is the enemy of steel and wood structures. I live in Kalifornia desert so don't have those problems with rust. My problems are with those that are destroying the state, taxes and regulations.

Just my $.02.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:21 AM   #18

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
I like the 17 ft Bigfoots for the amount of light they can let in, their durability, and the ability to use them year round. Problem is they are native to BC, which is 4,000 miles round trip for us. Does the rear gaucho layout block access to the bathroom with the bed made up?
Granted it's a long trip, but I did it for the trip of a lifetime, touring the SD Badlands, Glacier NP, then through all the Canadian Rockies, and after picking up the new Canadian trailer, in my case an Escape, down the Washington, Oregon, and CA coasts. 6 weeks and 10,000+ miles. A fantastic journey.

Walt
Old 11-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #19

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Another Alternative

Justis:

Welcome to this site and RV life! Good decision to start less expensively and to then upgrade over time. The above responses from others are all excellent and are certainly worth a second read and your careful consideration. This is one of the best uses of this site I can think of frankly!

As in your situation, I am a very long time tent camper and my wife less so. For our first transition "out of the dirt", we found that the Jayco Eagle Series Pop-up campers worked very well for our needs, our camping areas, and was also within our budget at the time. They certainly are not eggs, but they are really nice if you are a tent camper.

If you are a mechanically inclined camper, then these types of trailers may serve you well.

When finances come available, upgrading to eggs can happen over time. Then as things change, better and larger eggs with the necessary beefier TV's (Tow Vehicles) can be purchased over time. But until then your existing vehicle will work well and you are out there camping in style.

In our case, we finally got our Oliver and the required TV at retirement.

Have fun and good luck.

Geronimo John
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Does the rear gaucho layout block access to the bathroom with the bed made up?
No.