I am just starting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Name: Becky871
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
I am just starting

Hi. My name is Becky. I have a launch date of June 26 2016. I want a 16/17 ft fiberglass and will also purchase suitable tow. Looking to travel fulltime. I welcome your thoughts. Thank you.
becky871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
If you find & purchase used in the winter you'll get a better price. Florida is closer to Oliver, Scamp, and Casita factories than Escape (in British Columbia, Canada) if buying new. If buying new from Escape, their production schedule is already out into 2016, so you'd need to put a deposit down soon for their 17.

Whatever tow you choose should have a tow rating of 5000 lbs or more, most of the 17 footers run around 3300 fully loaded for travel. I believe Casita 17s have the heaviest tongue weight, around 410 or so.

You've got lots of time to read all the forums and post wanted ads in the classified sections of the websites, so happy hunting!

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I am just starting

Welcome, Becky!

Casita 17'ers seem to be very common in your area. Nice trailers, but be aware they are on the heavy side for that size class (avg. 3300 pounds loaded with a 425 pound hitch weight). You'll want a vehicle with at least a 4500/450 towing capacity.

An Escape 17B is a nice alternative, roomier and lighter, but used availability is very limited and a new one won't be available until well past your launch date.

NC-based L'il Snoozy would also be worth a look. Very roomy layout, but all-electric.

A lighter option is a Scamp or Casita 16'er weighing in about 2500 pounds loaded.

Layouts on any of these haven't changed much for years, so the current websites will show you what's available, new or used.

One of the best ways to get a look at a number of makes and models (and talk to their owners) is to visit a fiberglass egg rally. The October Cherokee gathering in western NC might be your best bet.

If you are thinking about ordering a new one, you'll want to contact the manufacturer soon. They can get backed up for spring deliveries.

Best wishes on your search for the perfect rolling home!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hi | Patriot »