I’m New Here... Sort of! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Burro
Pennsylvania
I’m New Here... Sort of!

Greetings All, This is my first post. I’ve been stalking you all and reading your threads for.. literally, several years. However, I never posted anything. Mainly because I didn’t have anything to add.

I never restored a FGRV, worked with fiberglass or even owned a camper. But I did have interest in owning and restoring one.

My grandparents had an old 1980 burro sitting on the farm, basically rotting. They never used it to my knowledge but my father said they did use it a few times when they first got it.

For some reason I always loved it, always wanted it. Always dreamed of restoring it to a usable tiny little 13’ home away from home.

I finally, convinced my dad it wasn’t just trash on wheels that he has to watch rot away, and to grab his POA and sign over the title.

So with fresh title in hand, I threw open the door for the first time in who knows how long.

Ugh, what’d I get myself into! Lol.

Luckily I’ve been reading all your stuff on here long enough to know, that with the resources of this community, this can be done, I can do this.

This 13’ Burro will ride again!

Basic info about me.

Late 30’s, Male, moderately mechanically inclined. Live in SE. PA!

Nice to meet you all... officially!

Mike
Tricky Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Mike! What you have is a diamond in the rough. A little polish, (hard work and parts) and you will have a gem.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Welcome! As someone who also undertook a restore/rebuild, I can say that it can be frustrating, rewarding, challenging and lots of fun, all in the same hour! But you will feel really good when you go camping! Lots of people here to help. Good Luck.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Welcome Mike...Some say that the interesting part of owning a small vintage Fiberglass RV is working on it, Guess that's why every year I work on my 79 Boler? As you said and read these campers can be fixed if the time and money is available. My advise is to get it just so you can go camping with it, enjoy it, and fix it as you go along. I remember fixing one thing only to, down the road, read something here and go back and redo what I did to only have it better.
Have fun is the key.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Mike!

So sad this poor Burro never got to get out and enjoy the world. So appropriate that a member of the family will undertake to rectify that.

Agree with advice given. Don't aim for a showpiece on the first pass. Get it clean and watertight, make it safe to tow, and take it out. There are many different ways to travel and camp. Once you find your groove, you will know which features and upgrades are important and which are not. For instance, after 5 years, we've never used the plumbing or 110V systems, but I want to upgrade the 12V system with solar, LED's, and USB outlets.

First thing, pictures.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
As another who has restored from scratch, we wish you welcome and best luck! Enjoy the process even when it seems bleakest...and happy trails when you're ready to roll!

BEST
Kai
Paul
& the Pug girls
Old 04-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Welcome Mike! What you have is a diamond in the rough. A little polish, (hard work and parts) and you will have a gem.

Thank You!

That’s what I’m hoping. I’m inspired by all the rebuilds and resources here! Can’t wait to go camping!
Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
Welcome! As someone who also undertook a restore/rebuild, I can say that it can be frustrating, rewarding, challenging and lots of fun, all in the same hour! But you will feel really good when you go camping! Lots of people here to help. Good Luck.

Thank you! I’m excited. I’m sure there will be times when I’m not so excited. Lol. One project at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Welcome Mike...Some say that the interesting part of owning a small vintage Fiberglass RV is working on it, Guess that's why every year I work on my 79 Boler? As you said and read these campers can be fixed if the time and money is available. My advise is to get it just so you can go camping with it, enjoy it, and fix it as you go along. I remember fixing one thing only to, down the road, read something here and go back and redo what I did to only have it better.
Have fun is the key.

I suspect you’re right and I’ll end up tweaking every year. Definitely part of the allure. That’s an excellent point!! To get it usable and go from there. Thank you! I’m gonna focus on maintaining that attitude to not be overwhelmed and get paralyzation from over analyzation! Slow and steady wins the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Mike!

So sad this poor Burro never got to get out and enjoy the world. So appropriate that a member of the family will undertake to rectify that.

Agree with advice given. Don't aim for a showpiece on the first pass. Get it clean and watertight, make it safe to tow, and take it out. There are many different ways to travel and camp. Once you find your groove, you will know which features and upgrades are important and which are not. For instance, after 5 years, we've never used the plumbing or 110V systems, but I want to upgrade the 12V system with solar, LED's, and USB outlets.

First thing, pictures.

Best wishes!

Thank you! Oh I seriously can’t wait to camp in this thing. It’s a long way off but it’s just so quaint and seems perfect to camp in!

More great advice. Get it humbly worthy and go from there. I’m gonna take that advice. You guys are giving me gems already! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
As another who has restored from scratch, we wish you welcome and best luck! Enjoy the process even when it seems bleakest...and happy trails when you're ready to roll!

BEST
Kai
Paul
& the Pug girls

Thank you! One day I’ll be done... and I can over advice and welcome new people with their undertakings!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! One more fiberglass RV joining the ranks!

Sincerely

Mike
Old 04-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome mike

welcome many long evenings and long days ahead of you oh to be 30 again I am 76 and to be in good health!

you will have a dream rig as good as any high dollar camper with all new stuff without the money involved!

good luck and glad to have you here

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest if the floor and the frame are sound, everything else is cosmetic. If you haven't seen it yet, Jen's restoration is worth a look.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-49157.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hi | I’m new too »