I need your expertise, please ;) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Name: celine
Trailer: Trillium
California
I need your expertise, please ;)

I am so thankful this forum exists! Long time lurker here.

I live in Southern California. I am looking for a fiberglass trailer. I need one with a bathroom as I will rent it short term, while not used by moi

The Scamp & Casita 13' are on my radar as most recent models come with shower/toilet. Can the tanks/ setup be added to Junior Camper trailer or a Trillium for example? Did you successfully added a bath to any other body? I would have it professionally done but I would like to hear your opinions on the matter and whether or not it is feasible.

Also, can anyone recommend a few good companies for work on fiberglass trailers in So Cal? I have Pacific RV in Garden Grove noted. Anyone else does a good job? Thank you all!
bordeauxinmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Not sure where you are in relation to Happier Camper in Cali. but you might google them and make contact. Bet they know who does good work. They rent refurbished scamp/boler/Trills as well as having designed and now manufacturing the HC1 molded fiberglass camper.

Some campers floor plans will have a "place" for the bathroom even if it doesn't have that option, possibly a closet instead. Others will have floor plans that totally use up the space where a bathroom would go. Hard to tear out a dinette or couch and build a bathroom. Easier to install one in a closet that was where OEM was going to put one if ordered. So it depends.

RV bathrooms are not required to rent. And are somewhat complicated for novice campers, and then of course they have to be maintained. I would doubt that your renter is going to dump the tanks at the park without a learning curve so you may well get your camper back with sewage and gray water tank needing to be emptied. If you don't have a dump station at home then you would have to go to campground to dump after they bring camper back.

Also there is the ever popular if the feature doesn't exist no one gets all pissed off because it doesn't work right or because they can't make it work. E.G toilet won't flush because one of the kids left the light and fan on and drained the battery so the water pump won't go. Novice isn't going to think "dead battery" for toilet won't flush. No flush toilet = no toilet issues. No hot shower = no water heater / shower issues.

I would consider telling them they can use whatever facilities the park has. Folks that want modern toilets and showers will stay at those campgrounds, folks that want solitude and rustic probably already know how to make a pit toilet work :-)

In the small Scamps with front couch/bunk floor plan many people will slide a porta-pottie in the center floor cupboard. And those with closets may put a porta-pottie in them. This works for emergency or middle of the night use, or shorter stays at places with really nasty pit toilets. A porta-pottie tank can be dumped in a toilet or outhouse without hoses or dump station. You can do it when you get home in your own bathroom. Just something to consider.

You might go to the scamp store and price out gray and black tank, drain valves for both, cost of PVC and vent stack for the tanks, and on demand water pump if your camper doesn't have one. Then toilet and sink, plus fixtures. Water heater too if you intend to add a shower. Water line and connectors won't be that large of an expense compared to the others. I built one 25 years ago in a school bus camper and using surplus parts for as much as possible it was still probably far and away the most expensive and difficult part of that bus to camper conversion. Always seemed to be a piece of frame right where I needed to make a hole, or no frame where I needed to secure something. I do sometimes miss the hot showers and flush toilet but 1/2 of that "joy" was because by god I worked hard to have it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Suggest you talk to your insurance agent about the implications of offering short-term rental ( or any commercial use ). The cost of applicable insurance will be significant. You might feel you can risk the trailer, but liability still exists, and you could lose everything you have.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Not sure what youre looking for exactly
I have a 2000 17' casitas freedom deluxe
We are 2nd owners and downsizing to colorado townhouse
I m located in so calif ( thousand oaks)
Very nice shape... bathroom/ shower
A/c.. tv .. microwave... awning..3 brand new tires w/less than 1k miles.. brakes and bearings serviced...comes with wdh & sway bar
Asking $11,500 obo
It is currently under the calmark cover( included)
If youre interested let me know and i can take some pics
3way frig/elec heat strip& gas furnace/ gas water heater
Everything works includes 2 full propane tanks
Clear title
Thanks
Alan
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Oops you can call or text my
Cell 805 338-8422 or
Cahartz@ hotmail.com
If interested or have any questions
Alan
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #6

California
Thank you so much for your detailed answer, RodgerDat.
I have seen the Happier Camper vids before and you are right, they’ll probably be able to point me in the right direction!

I built a tiny house in which I use the Thetford curve porta potty. Emptying it is not a glamorous task but I have to admit and it is efficient, quick and easy! It could be a temporary solution until I consider the expense if I buy one without. There is a large beach campground 10 mins away from me with showers & toilets so I think I could try it for a while before I take the plunge. (I'll keep converting the closet in mind)

I should have mentioned that the camper will be delivered to the location for the renters and they will not be able to tow. I will be stuck with the cleaning. I do not think I would trust most people with doing it right anyways…

Thank you for helping me sorting things out
Old 04-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #7

California
@ Glenn, The trailer will be in a fixed location with a boot and a hitch lock. The rental contract will also stipulate that they cannot move the trailer and I will make sure I am protected accordingly.

I am also in the process of getting a business liability insurance and won’t start renting before I do. Is there anything else I should consider, do you think?

You have a very valid point! Thank you for your concern.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #8

California
I am so confused with these threads, cannot figure out how to respond to the specific person...I am so sorry!

@ Alan, if you had a 13', I would have driven to you in the day! It sounds like it is very well maintained and has extras. The size is a bit intimidating to me for my first one...but thank you for reaching out to me!
You should be able to sell it before the summer months!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You're doing fine.
If you want to send a personal message, click on the person's name and select "send a private message".
I think you may need to make several more posts before you will be permitted to send a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 8.49.07 PM.png  
Old 04-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeauxinmay View Post
I am so confused with these threads, cannot figure out how to respond to the specific person...I am so sorry!
Hi, Celine. If you will hit the "quote" button, your compose window will include the text of the post you specifically want to answer. You can even edit the quoted text, so it only includes the specific part of the post that you wish to address.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Hi, Celine. If you will hit the "quote" button, your compose window will include the text of the post you specifically want to answer. You can even edit the quoted text, so it only includes the specific part of the post that you wish to address.
I think I got it?! Thank you!!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I cant imagine adding a bathroom to a small trailer that was not made to have one. Its one thing to have a pull out portapotty with a cartridge tank, its another to have a real bath. You are talking about a full gutting of the trailer for sure, lots of plumbing, tanks, etc. Very, very costly. And used Trilliums bring top $$. For the cost of adding a bath to one, you should be able to buy a nice used Casita or Scamp that already has a bathroom.

+1 A few models have a closet where a toilet could be put. Still a major rehab for sure, but at least you are not moving around cabinets, etc.

And if you are serious about rental, you also have the issue of air conditioning. Its quite rare to see a vintage molded fiberglass trailer with A/C.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Hello all,
May I offer a streamlined alternative to quoting posts that we want to refer to? Every post in the thread has a number in the upper right corner, so if I want to refer to Thrifty Bill's post I can just refer to Thrifty Bill's post #12. I see a benefit in streamlining the thread, and I can refer back to multiple posts, such as Mary F's #10 if I wish. Try whatever works for you. Thanks.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #14

Name: robert
Trailer: 74 perris pacer
California
coincidentally I called happier yesterday and ask if they could recommend someone..the lady was very pleasant and took my number. I forgot it was friday so maybe she'll get back to me next week
hangemhigh is offline   Reply With Quote