I Owe You All So Much! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I Owe You All So Much!

I'm a long time lurker (5+ years) on this forum. My wife Joanne and I wanted to get a camper after retirement. We looked for something small, economical, easy to tow and low maintenance. The search led us back and forth between teardrops, Aliners, pop-ups, stickies, and molded fiberglass. I followed several different forums, but kept gravitating back to this one. I spent so much time here doing my research; that I feel I know many of you personally.

All my homework culminated with a trip we made in January to Backus, MN with our 2 furkids, and an order placed for a Scamp with an Aug 1st pickup. I learned so much about which options, tow vehicle requirements, brands, etc. from the forum. It made our decisions much easier. It's always better to go into a decision like this with all the facts. Our salesman, Alan told my wife I read too much!

So what did we get? We ordered a 13' Standard with the front couch/bunks. We opted for the 54" bed and all the overhead cabinets available, extra outlets, TV hook-ups, brakes, gray water tank, heat and A/C, awning, front and side porch lights, and rear receiver hitch. Your opinions were all weighed carefully as the decisions were made. This trailer will be close to perfect FOR US. Thank you all for that. I am not new to camping. In fact I'm practically a "Pro" tent camper having spent 40 years as a Soldier. Thousands of nights in hundreds of different tents all over the world. Our little 13 will seem like the "Ritz" to me. Fortunately, Joanne shares my values.

As the time for pickup draws nearer, we are getting more and more anxious and excited. The hitch and brake controller is installed. Amazon wore a path to our door with camping necessities, and trips are being planned. Can't wait! Sorry, but none of your advice helps with this part.

Looking forward to meeting all you fiberglass peeps at rallies and campgrounds all over the U.S. and Canada! Thanks for all your friendly advice over the years.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Tom. Nice of you to finally join us and stop being a stalker... 'er lurker

Sounds like you've got some great plans and will make tons of memories real soon. Be sure to post a picture of pickup day. THAT's exciting!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the family Tom. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Tom.
We're excited for you.
Let us in on your adventures via pics.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Congratulations on your purchase! Your enthusiasm reminds me of our own when we picked up our 13' Scamp new at Backus in 2011. Many happy camping trips to you and your wife.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Oh, yes, that first contact

Well do we remember our delivery day, 10 Dec 2008. I can't believe we have had Homelet for nearly six years. We have had many adventures and lots of fun traveling. It sure as heck beats the tent camping we did for so long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2832.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	72767

Thank you for your gratitude. We were (and are) all happy to help in any way we can.
Congratulations on your new acquisition, and Happy Trails to you two.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #7

Michigan
Places to go, people to meet...

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I should've joined the Forum years ago. I wasn't sure we would end up with a fiberglass trailer, and being a long time tent camper; wasn't sure I had much to contribute. No looking back now though.

I sat down and figured out how many states I've been to, and came up with 39. A good number of those were in an "official" capacity with Uncle Sam, so not a lot of sight seeing. We're going to use the Scamp to get that number much higher.

The Pacific North West will be high on the list. Seems like so many of you fiberglass types live up there. Anxious to meet that crowd, and maybe Mick Dodge and Bigfoot while we're up there. My Mom's family had Canadian roots, so anxious to add the remaining provinces to the list as well. I once "camped" in a shelter I built in AK as part of an Arctic Survival Course (-45F) back in '81, but think it will be even more fun in a Scamp. Warmer too!

I've come to realize there is good to be found no matter where you go. We'll be looking for it. We pick the Scamp up around Aug 1st, and plan to attend the rally in Algonac, MI after Labor Day. Most of my large family lives near there, and hoping to meet some of this community there as well. Look for a sage green Subaru Forester ("Sage Coach") with a canoe on top pulling a 13' Scamp.

Tom
Old 06-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #8

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Congratulations on the well thought out Scamp decision. Our decision was somewhat more impulsive but we're still happy with our 13' trailer after nearly 3 years and a lot of use
Happy camping.
P
Old 06-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
This trailer will be close to perfect FOR US.
That is all that matters. Enjoy your new Scamp!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Make MEMORIES every single time you can.

When the time comes, and if the creek don't rise, you will have a time while you're sitting on the stoop rockin' you'll relive all those wonderful memories!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #11

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I am not new to camping. In fact I'm practically a "Pro" tent camper having spent 40 years as a Soldier. Thousands of nights in hundreds of different tents all over the world. Our little 13 will seem like the "Ritz" to me. Fortunately, Joanne shares my values.
First off THANK YOU, and your family,for your many years of service. Many of the guys and galls here are vets so you already know you will fit right in with this group in lots of ways.

So glad you found the "perfect for the 2 of you camper' and even more glad it is molded fiberglass. I'm sure you have lots of knowledge to share with this group,so be a part of this friendly family type group and speak right up. Tell us of your travels ask us questions oh and share your pictures,we love pictures.

Oh and just to help you understand what a GREAT group of friends we all are here.When I joined here in 2006(?) or maybe 2009 it was because I too was researching campers and wanted molded fiberglass. Sadly it was not to be DH is very claustrophobic and after staying in his brothers Casita overnight just couldn't deal with it,we had to get a stickie,this wonderful group ask me to stay and I would not take anything for the Friendship I have with this group.I have never seen or talked to any of them in person but feel and friendship of untold value with them all.
Ok Ill go now before I wear out my welcome.

Glad to have you both and hope you have many years of happy camping memories
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #12

Michigan
Thank you all for the gracious welcome. Like I said earlier, I feel I know many of you already due to my former status "Senior Lurker". I have to get busy now to make that a two-way street.

Lynn, first, you're welcome for thanking me for my service. Speaking only for myself, it feels awkward when people do that. I loved every minute of it. Truth be told, if I didn't have to put a roof over my families head, and feed them, I would have done it for free. We called it "Livin' the Dream". I'd still be in if they didn't have a mandatory retirement at age 60. THANK YOU and all the taxpayers for keeping me around as long as you did.

Next, I think I remember when you got your Chalet. I was familiar with Aliners and looked up the Chalets when you mentioned them. Someone asked why Chalet and not Aliner? If I'm correct; you said Chalet was nearby and you wanted to support a local company? Anyway, I've seen the Chalet in person since then and it seems well made, and a nice choice. I didn't remember the part where your DH was claustrophobic. Donna is right when she points out that you have to get what works for you.

Finally, one quick Army story if you'll permit me, concerning claustrophobia. We were spending the night in a group shelter in very cold conditions (below zero F). Back then, the Army had two types of down filled mummy style sleeping bags. For warmer climates we used a Mountain bag. In colder climates we had a slightly larger Arctic bag, meant to be used as an outer bag for the Mountain bag. When you were zipped up for the night part of your face would be all that was exposed.

One of our Soldiers spent the night tossing and turning and woke up to find the face holes in his bag were no longer aligned. He couldn't find the zippers or the holes. He panicked, and woke us all up yelling and screaming. Flashlights from all over the shelter were soon trained on all the commotion to find him sitting in a huge pile of feathers, and his survival knife clenched in his fist. We all (even him) laughed ourselves back to sleep. Our leaders always made sure no one wore his knife to bed after that!

I'm glad, but not surprised that your choice of trailer doesn't affect the way people accept you Lynn. Fiberglass is the common denominator for this forum, but it seems the love of the outdoors, travel, and a sense of adventure are the real glue that binds. That, and the willingness to help out rookies like myself as well as each other.

Tom
Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Congratulations on your new scamp. I would suggest you spend one night near Backus in case of any questions that might come up. We have stayed at Rutgers Pine Mountain camping resort about 2miles from the scamp factory. Very nice campground, well kept up. You might email to see if a reservation is needed.
Diane G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #14

Michigan
Thanks Diane. We did plan on finding a campground near Backus. You just saved me half the search. I'll find it and as soon as we get a firm date, make a reservation. We'll probably camp a couple nights on the way back to Chicagoland just because we can.

Tom
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
"Fortunately, Joanne shares my values.}

I love our trailer and our travels but the partner is so very important. Joanne will be the key ingredient. There's nothing like shared values. It takes two to share well.

Wishing you well

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Congrats on your new Scamp. We just got our last month and are greatly enjoying it. for any of you who are going to Backus to get one I suggest you try the restaurant at the Cenex fuel station just South of the Scamp "hatchery". Great food, large portions, cheap prices.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:41 AM   #17

Michigan
Norm & Ginny, I agree about the sharing. My wife waited patiently for my return from far too many trips for 43 years. The Scamp will be used to make up for that. Your exploits on this forum serve as inspiration to me and others who need to know what's around the next bend.

Gene, thx for the tip about the Cenex gas station / restaurant. We'll check it out. We went up there last Jan to see the trailers and place our order. It was close to -20 degrees and the state was covered in ice. (no problem for a Subaru) I was surprised to find a gas station close to the area you described that had a gun store with a pretty good selection of ammo. The owner turned out to be our Scamp salesman's son. Small world.

Tom
Old 06-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #18

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
My wife and I are also planning to use a Scamp 13 in retirement. Because I think that long periods of time "inside" our Scamp13 might drive me a little crazy, I decided that adding some "outdoor" living space might be pretty desirable?

We recently added an "instant" screen room to our camping equipment. It is made
by a company that is up in Rogers, Mn (southeast of Backus toward Minneapolis)

Not counting the stakes, one person really can set it up in about 45 seconds and take
it down in even less time. It is a CLAM 1660 Mag Screen Tent. A couple of optional
"wind panel" kits (3 panels per kit) will turn it into a fully enclosed "tent" space for sleeping, a porta-potti privacy space, or ????

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in or connection to CLAM Outdoors.
You can find more details on the CLAM 1660 Mag Screen Tent in the following URLs:

Clam Six Pack Screen Tent Video...The others don't compare.

http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9281-6-Pack-140-Inch/dp/B00E3LF7FK/ref=sr_1_1

Clam Corporation 9294 3-Pack Screen Hub Wind Panels/Canopies - $34.65
http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9294-3-Pack-Canopies/dp/B00E5BHB6Q/ref=sr_1_2

Regards,

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #19

Michigan
Thanks for the tip Ray. This looks like a good solution for those rainy days, or when the mosquitos are driving you crazy. My brother has an ice fishing tent made by Clam and I can attest to the quality of their products. It's on my wish list. Let us know how your's works out for you as well.

TomK