I'm a newbie Scamper! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #1

Name: Gimili
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Talking I'm a newbie Scamper!

Greetings! I recently paid $100 for a 13' 1985 Scamp, no-bathroom version! It is structurally sound, though I had yet to move it anyplace because the tires are flat and need replacing, but the interior I needs renovation. So far I have cleaned the walls and ceiling and painted a coat of BIN primer. There is so much more to do! But I am very excited to renovate and possibly design new interior elements to customize it to the max! I had never even heard of these, or laid my eyes on one, before I found my Scamp. I do have many many questions for y'all. So here goes:
1- MISSING TITLE: My Scamp was abandoned by a former tenant after he was forced abruptly to move out after another housemate filed an assault complaint, claiming he had behaved violently towards her, and so a restraining order was put into effect. The court gave the guy 30 days to return to the premises, accompanied by a police officer, to retrieve any and all his belongings. Apparently, 3 months later he hadn't returned or removed anything, so the residence owner filed a letter with the court requesting that his belongings be declared "abandoned". I have seen this letter, which is notorized, but I had not seen any other pertinent documents. So my question is: HOW DO I GO ABOUT SECURING A NEW TITLE, IN MASSACHUSETTS, FOR AN "ABANDONED" SCAMP" IS IT POSSIBLE? HOW LONG MIGHT IT TAKE? WHAT MIGHT I NEED TO SUBMIT TO GET A NEW TITLE OFFICIATED IN MY OWN NAME?
2- I don't know the exact year of my Scamp, but it has the same original (ugly!) orange/brown/yellow knit fabric covering the cushions as the 1985 Scamp I saw photos of on Pinterest. But also, I noticed, the windows on all the other Scamps I am seeing on the internet (through Google, etc.) have different type windows; mine has old-school style parallel glass panels, like shingles; an interior knob is turned to wind them open or shut. Does anyone know if these can be replaced with the newer style Scamp replacement windows? Is the size exactly the same?
3- there is a metal lined hole in the floor in front of the right side couch/ledge/lower bunk seat, like for a pole to fit and stand up secured straight. I cannot figure out what that is for. There was no pole to fit it and I cannot see it in any photos online of other similar Scamps. In most of these, the poles to support upper bunk bed are inserted/secured to the lower ledge. So what is it for? Is it just an earlier version of the bunk support base? Anyone know?
I have alot of other questions for y'all... but I'll leave you with that much for now... I never imagined I'd acquire one of these but I am so enthusiastic to revamp it. An added bonus here is that I live year-round on Martha's Vineyard Island as a renter (a do not own my own home). In the summer months the rents are so expensive that many of us renters are forced to "beg, borrow and steal" just to put roofs over our heads... couch-surfing is standard... but many of the home-owners who we hang out with at our local venue, The Ritz, actually rent their OWN homes because monies collected from vacationing tenants like, well, President Obama, or Bill Clinton, or Keith Richards, are such that thay can afford to take long winter vacations themselves come January, when this place can be pretty brutal and dull, fostering alcoholics out of single men who weren't able to procure a girlfriend before the first frost (resident single men outnumber single woman nearly 2 to 1! Poor dudes...).be So the Scamp will a very welcome abode, parked on my mother's property, during this outrageously expensive "on-season". So I intend on renovating the appliances as well so that general living requirements can be conveniently met. Its so beautiful her when weather is warm, the beaches are extraordinary... so the limited space in the Scamp is no issue for me, as I find myself outdoors most of the time, anyway. So cheers everyone! I welcome any advice, information, or insights pertaining to my questions. I really KNOW NOTHING. But I am great with power tools and as an artist, revamping this baby with be a blast for me. Thanks and Happy Scamping!
-Gimili
Gimili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Lightweight Travel Trailers & Small Campers - Scamp Trailers Try Here, they sell all componets of a scamp. Pics, and sketches of all styles to view. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I would think that the Title issue would be no problem where there is paperwork in the system.
Was it his trailer and his alone? Was he the real owner? Did he have the title / Bill of sale?
Was it ever registered for the road?

Who sold it to you and is your bill of sale legal?

Common sense tell us if it's been abandoned a Salvage tittle could be issued but we're talking Common Sense which I find more and more these days, I guess, Doesn't make sense at all.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Massachusetts may not have used a title on this trailer. I bought a pop-up camper in MA where the owner had died. There was no title. MA may just use a Bill of Sale. Check with your Motor Vehicle office is the only way to know for sure.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Gimili!

Regarding the old-style jalousie windows... Many people consider them a big plus. They can be disassembled, cleaned, gaskets replaced, and reinstalled with fresh butyl tape. Even the crank mechanism can be replaced if needed.

The new Scamp radius jalousie windows are not an exact fit. I believe you'll have to do some fiberglass patch work around the corners.

You can order new cushion covers from Scamp for a lot less $$ than custom upholstery. Due to shipping cost, it's best to order only the covers and reuse the old foam or source new foam locally.

The hole in the floor doesn't sound like something put there by Scamp. No telling what a previous owner might have used it for.

Speaking of the floor, have you checked it carefully for rot? Common places are around the door and inside cabinets and benches around the outside edges of the floor. If there is any extensive rot, you'll want to repair that before you do any other major renovations.

The front and rear fixed plexiglass windows are common sources of leaks in older Scamps. Leaks can run behind the foam liner and come out at the floor. It's not a big deal to replace them with new plexiglass and a fresh gasket.

If you're going to tow this thing much- as opposed to leaving it parked in a driveway- you will want to evaluate the condition of the rubber torsion axle (in addition to tires and wheel bearings, of course). Old axles get the "low-rider" look and lose their springiness, making a very harsh ride.

I wouldn't go too far, though, until you settle the ownership issue. Every state is a little different, so you'll need to start with your motor vehicle department. It wouldn't hurt to go online and find out what you can before going to the office.

Best wishes! Sounds like you have some work ahead, but it'll keep you busy and away from the watering holes, and a Scamp sounds a whole lot better than couch surfing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
First thing to do is request a users manual from Scamp. They may have one, or see if someone here can scan theirs into a PDF file for you. I'm of the school of 'if it ain't broke" so my advice is to see what works and leave that. Focus on custom touches like cushions and curtains, etc. we went with cork flooring in our '85 and was tough enough for all our big dog traffic. You'll be surprised how well these little things clean up. I used vinegar water and Goo Gone!
We'd love to see pics to help you more.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
All the basic operational information is available in video form on the Scamp website. Hasn't changed a lot in 32 years. It's pretty basic and doesn't deal with the kinds of major repairs that might be necessary on an older unit. There might be an owner's manual for 1984 (or something close) in the document center of this website ("More" tab at the top right).

Of more help might be manuals for the fridge and other appliances, also in the document center. You'll need the make and model number from the appliance.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #8

Every state is different but in Maine no title is needed on vehicle if older then 20 years but you will still need a signed bill of sales from the owner.
If it has been registered the back of registration transfer of ownership needs to fill out.
You don't even know if this trailer isn't stolen from somebody else.
If it is my wife, an ex-police dispatcher, says too bad if you've paid your money, somebody could come claim it if they have the proper paperwork.
The whole matter has to be handled by the Department of Motor Vehicles and it would be a good idea to have a copy of the court order about the abandoment in hand when you go to see them.
Make a phone call first because this is not a matter that will be settled at one of those windows you stand in line for hours for.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

Oh yea, When you get it all settled, get working on it so you'll be able to attend my rally in May of 2017
See thread in the Rallies
Spring Fling in New England
Old 12-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
1983: last year of the jalousie windows

I'm pretty sure the 1983 is the last year that Scamp used the old fashioned jalousie crank window. 1984 began using the radius corner sliding windows.

Definitely get the title issue straightened out before you waste any more time working on a trailer that does not yet belong to you.

Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
I'm pretty sure the 1983 is the last year that Scamp used the old fashioned jalousie crank window. 1984 began using the radius corner sliding windows...
Good call! That would explain the difference in the windows from the pictures. By 1985, Scamp was also using marine headliner as the interior lining, and this trailer has Ensolite closed cell foam.

It is not uncommon for ownership documents to get the wrong year on older trailers. Multiple owners and states, non-standard VIN numbers, typos from pre-digital days- there could be many explanations. Correcting it could be more trouble than it's worth, and at this point you probably don't want to raise any additional red flags with the motor vehicle department.

Once you get it settled, you might look for the original serial number- I think it was etched into the tongue but may be hard to find under layers of paint. With that serial number, someone here might be able to figure out the real age of this trailer.

Tags
scamp