I'm Back - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 05:23 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: '87 13'scamp, 2006 Chevy1500
FL / MN
I'm Back

I was a member here and got a lot help getting things working on the '87 '13 SCAMP I purchased. I've kept the scamp with little use over the last few years b/c of life changes, however, this summer I got it cleaned up and used it a few times. OH how I want to use it more !!!

The question that brought me back here is I really want to upgrade the size of the bed to a queen - is that possible in a '13 or beginning to look for a '16 would make life easier? I'm not solo in the bed and more room would be helpful.
stevebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's certainly possible. You will have to cut away about half of the galley and take a large chunk out of the door-side closet. You need to maintain adequate support for the upper shell. Doing it the quick-and-dirty way will impact the resale value of the trailer down the line.

For less work, consider making the bed 60" at the head end but less at the feet. Also, consider whether you really need a full 60". Even a 54" double is a significant improvement over the standard 45".

Another approach is to make a bed extension in the center aisle and sleep longways with your feet in the aisle.

In my mind, a 13'er with a really large bed at the back would ideally have a front galley, which means it's pretty much a gut-and-rebuild involving rewiring and replumbing along with mostly new cabinetry. The time and cost will be significant, but if well done could enhance the value of your trailer. Member Ian G's Boler comes to mind: Project Boler

As an alternative, consider selling the 13' and looking for a Casita Liberty 16'. It has a huge, almost-king-sized bed oriented longways with a full galley and front bath. It's not the most common model, so it may take some patience. In the big picture, considering your time, it might be cheaper than making major modifications. Your 13'er should be quite saleable, especially if you wait until the spring.

Figure a 16' trailer will weigh 2500-3000 pounds, so your tow vehicle comes into the picture.

One last thought... My wife and I find the standard bed comfortable for couple time in the evening, watching a movie together... But when it's time to roll over and sleep, I move to the front bunk. Then I don't have to disturb her to use the bathroom during the night, or when I rise in the morning. She likes to sleep later, while I like to go outside, make a cup of coffee, and enjoy the early hours.

Sometimes the best way is to modify yourselves rather than the trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Cheapest and easiest way to "create" a bigger bed is to sleep opposite directions. Sleeper number one has their head on the curb side, sleeper two has their head on the street side.

Its really amazing how much bigger a bed feels when you sleep in opposite directions!

As far as the Liberty, we had one. Bed can be HUGE. The problem we had with ours is it really doesn't have a dinette. If you set it up as twin beds, each bed is only about 22 inches wide. I referred to this setup as dual cots, not twin beds (a regular twin is 39 inches wide).

As Jon pointed out above, the front bunk is also a great option. Many times, with a couple, one person takes up a lot of bed space while the other takes up very little. If your situation is that way, then give up the main bed to the person that needs more space.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Cheapest and easiest way to "create" a bigger bed is to sleep opposite directions. Sleeper number one has their head on the curb side, sleeper two has their head on the street side.

Its really amazing how much bigger a bed feels when you sleep in opposite directions!
That is true. When the kids are in the trailer with us, that's exactly what we do. My wife shares the dinette bed with one of the girls, head-to-toe. We both agreed it would be kind of weird to do that as a couple, though...
Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We built one called "Shelly" which had a queen bed, a front dinette, and an SMEV kitchen. It even had an expanded closet.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 018.jpg   May 2009 020.jpg  

May 2009 023.jpg   May 2009 008.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: '87 13'scamp, 2006 Chevy1500
FL / MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We built one called "Shelly" which had a queen bed, a front dinette, and an SMEV kitchen. It even had an expanded closet.

Was this something you built yourself or did you have SCAMP create this? As others have mentioned, I am wondering about the integrity of the shell when modifications are made on the inside.

thanks
stevebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Floyd's creation preserves enough of the door closet to create a continuous vertical column next to the door, one very critical spot. It also looks like there may be posts at each end of the galley connected to an upper cabinet, perhaps. That is at least as good as the original Scamp support on that side.

Looks good to me!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebell View Post
Was this something you built yourself or did you have SCAMP create this? As others have mentioned, I am wondering about the integrity of the shell when modifications are made on the inside.

thanks
I built it. the shell held up well, in fact it was at least as rigid as the original design. The closet and the main cabinets, including the upper kitchen cabinet are painted pine and plywood. The support at the door is plywood and the closet is built wide enough to reach the window frame. There are square tube steel supports between the kitchen and the upper kitchen cabinet.
Here is what it looked like when I towed it 700 miles home...
Attached Thumbnails
Shelly#8 013.jpg   Shelly#8 017.jpg  

Shelly#8 016.jpg   Shelly#8 019.jpg  

Old 09-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

Registry
here are outside pics of Shelly when complete.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2009 003.jpg   June 2009 004.jpg  

June 2009 007.jpg   June 2009 009.jpg  

June 2009 010.jpg