I'm finally an egg owner! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome! I guarantee that you will get the hang of it. No advice, or videos to offer, just the certainty that you will be fine.
But much more important, I am also certain that you will love you new passport to freedom. You can go any where. The only limit is how much gas is in your tank. Hotels? Who needs em, (or their bed bugs).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I won't miss hotels

Hi David,

You are SO right about not needing a hotel. Or their bedbugs. Being a bit of a germaphobe, I never sleep well in hotels. I always wish I could somehow levitate over the bed to avoid contact. And I'll take my own porta-potti over a public bathroom any day. If I find it is a breeze to tow, set up and back up in my 13', maybe in the future I will want to move up to a 16' with a full bathroom. I had a chance this winter to buy a 16' for a decent price, but I did not feel good about it - I had dread more than joy. When I decided to get a 13', I felt really good about it and was excited to find one.

And the passport to freedom you mentioned...I am considering being "free" from the Maine winters, perhaps for a couple months to start with. I've been a snowbird-in-training for 14 years (spending up to 3 weeks in FL in the winter) and - if I can muster the courage, I may give it a try.
Pam M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #23

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita 17 FT. SD
Tennessee
Hi Pam. I just joined this site and reading thru the forums. Trying to learn about this site. I'm a solo camper in Tn. and looking forward to correspondance.
Hope you found the " hand at the bottom of steering wheel " method works for you.
Enjoy !
Jerry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
A lot of new owners here in the Northeast, Lady Darilyn and Pam and Jerry, I see the need for a rally, one of the best ways to meet other FGRV owners and see their rigs.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #25

Name: Darilyn
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
NE Rally?!?! Yes, PLEASE!!!
Lady Darilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #26

Welcome, Jerry! I've enjoyed camping in my Scamp, although I haven't gone on as many camping trips as I'd hoped to. I had to make 2 unexpected trips out of state this summer - not camping opportunities due to scheduling and locations. I have plans for one more trip this fall. And I still have my dream of going south for a month or two to escape the cold Maine winter.
Backing my Scamp up continues to be a challenge. I did practice a few times in a large empty parking lot, but I still struggle with it. On my first camping trip, I missed my road and ended up on a dead-end road....stuck at the end. It seemed no matter how straight I kept the steering wheel as I backed up, the camper would turn and start to jack knife. It was like a living nightmare! I was blessed with a kind person offering to help me; he backed it up and turned it around in a driveway. He should have been wearing a super hero cape in my opinion, because he saved the day for me. I did buy one of those dolly things to help me move the camper, but mostly I've accepted help from other campers, and I am very grateful for their help. I try to get a pull-thru when possible.
I still love my little egg-it is so cute! Owning it brings me a lot of joy. I look forward to many future adventures!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #27

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I am still a poor backer-upper after 5 years. But I can say that every year I get a little better. Glad to hear that you're enjoying your Scamp!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #28

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ive had alot of practice backing up this year (first year with my ParkLiner) I store it in my parents driveway because the complex I live in has insufficient parking spots and way too many unruly kids ...so I have no choice but to do it to get it in the spot.

Keep at it and you will get better. Clear the thoughts of "I cant do this, or Im a woman..." out of your head.

Even old dogs can learn new tricks

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
It just takes practice and observation of what causes what to happen.
Even seasoned truck drivers can have a bad day.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #30

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Easy way to remember is to hold the bottom of the steering wheel with your palm down. If you want the trailer to go left backing up; move the steering wheel to the left. If you want the trailer to go right move the steering wheel to the right.
Wow, I didn't know that.

As a teenager I drove a tractor on the farm and got used to backing a trailer. It has been so many years that I have forgotten how. Plus, I think I looked over my shoulder when backing the tractor trailer. Now I have to use my mirrors.

This will make things so much easier to relearn.

Thanks!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and moving it in the direction you want the trailer to go was for me the best tip I was ever given! Also starting out slow and making small adjustments to the steering wheel well before it goes to far.

The other big tip that helped me a lot when backing into a narrow entrance is . Until I learned to do The Scoop getting a trailer into a narrow entrance was something to be dreaded. I actually managed to use this method to get backed into a downtown Portland parking lot on the last Friday night before Christmas a few years ago to get some last minute shopping done. Still cant believe I was lucky enough to find a lot with two spots open end to end to do it let alone not hitting anything while doing it! What was I thinking! LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #32

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I hadn't heard about the steering wheel thing until this forum, either. I prefer doing it from the top of the wheel for more maneuverability, but see how the bottom would be easier to learn on.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
On top it is turning opposite to the way you want the trailer to turn.
On the bottom it gives the illusion that you are turning the wheel the
same direction you want the trailer to turn.

Top = left is right
Bottom = (seems) right (although it's left) is right

As Lucy says in "the long long trailer"
I said, "turn left [right] here"..........LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm one of those "old" people, I never turn my head to look out the windows, I just use my mirrors

When folks say back up slow. They mean REALLY SLOW. If things start to go bad, they won't get any better if you keep going. Just STOP... move ahead a bit and try again.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #35

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita 17 FT. SD
Tennessee
hi Pam

Hello Pam. I tried to reply to your email a few times, but my messages always returned
to sender. Hope you and yours are doing great and having a wonderful Thanksgiving.
The girl friend thing did not work out, that's the way it goes. I hope its OK for me to write,
would like to hear from ya, however if not I understand and respectfully wish you the very best. Take care,
Jerry
Jerry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry W. View Post
Hello Pam. I tried to reply to your email a few times, but my messages always returned
to sender. Hope you and yours are doing great and having a wonderful Thanksgiving.
The girl friend thing did not work out, that's the way it goes. I hope its OK for me to write,
would like to hear from ya, however if not I understand and respectfully wish you the very best. Take care,
Jerry
Jerry, if you're talking to Pam, the OP... you may never hear from her. It's been a while since she's be online at FiberglassRV: Last Activity: 02-19-2014 11:01 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #37

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Welcome to the group, get a buddy if needed to help if the site is tight
Old 12-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #38

Thank you Borden. I enjoyed some camping trips this summer, and I did have to get some help. I've found most campers to be very willing to offer their assistance and/or advice, and I was very grateful. Someone gave me a tip that I hope to try in the spring. The suggestion was that I haul my camper to a campground before it is officially open, and practice backing in to some of the sites. I would need to check with the campground owners first, but I like the idea of practicing with no one else around.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #39

Trailer: Eggcamper 2009
I just ordered a chevy pickup truck but my Egg camper is rather low. Is there a hitch that a tall truck can pull an egg with?
Dennis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #40

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis O View Post
I just ordered a chevy pickup truck but my Egg camper is rather low. Is there a hitch that a tall truck can pull an egg with?
Measure the hitch height on the trailer with the trailer level. Measure the receiver height on the truck, subtract the trailer hitch height from the receiver hitch height, then go to etrailer.com and purchase the correct drop ball mount.

Not difficult.