I'm NEW! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #1

Name: Tre
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I'm NEW!

Hi!

My husband and I just bought a 1976 13' Boler and are super excited!!! I told him I refused to get anything bigger until I've owned a Boler first.

We are super excited to get out camping, and now we can even bring our cat!!

Our Boler is in pretty good shape, but we do have a problem with the door. It doesn't seem to close properly and we were advised that it could pop open while driving even when locked. I've done a bunch of reading on here about door sag, so i'm guess thats what it probably is? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Tre A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Tre! Door sag is common to most fibreglass trailers. All of mine suffer from it. Fortunately the fix is not too hard. I will be posting a thread on the subject later next month. I have four of them to fix.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3

Alberta
Thats fabulous! I look forward to reading it.

Despite being fairly easy to fix, is it fairly inexpensive as well??

Also, do you know what would be a good temporary fix in the meantime? We are heading out camping in two weeks and we have a good 6 hour drive through the mountains, so I don't really want the door popping open.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre A View Post

Also, do you know what would be a good temporary fix in the meantime? We are heading out camping in two weeks and we have a good 6 hour drive through the mountains, so I don't really want the door popping open.
I know some folks have used a bungie cord anchored to a point inside to the interior door handle. If the door does open, the cord pulls it shut again. I have also seen where some have fastened a locking hasp (not a good look) to the door/trailer body. Try ordering a hinge rebuild kit from Scamp to see if that helps keep the door in better alignment, which may help to keep it closed while traveling. Another member posted that the door handle was the cause of his door opening while traveling, so he just removed the outer handle and rotated it 180 degrees and reinstalled it, which counter weighted the mechanism and he did not have that problem again.
Hope these ideas helped.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre A View Post

Virtually no cost. Assuming that the hinges are starting to pull out of the trailer, not the door, take the door off on the trailer side of the hinge, fill the screw holes with epoxy, or fibreglass resin. Then tape the door back on where it looks right. drill new holes, using the hinge, which should still be on the door, as a guide. Purchase new screws and reattach the door. If the hinges are pulling out of the door, leave them on the trailer and follow the same instructions.
This will provide the same door security as original. If your want it to be stronger then adding a plate on the inside to spread out the load is possible, but difficult. I plan to just re-install the door as original.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

Alberta
Thank you for the tips David B and David T. They are extremely helpful, we will definitely try out your suggestions this weekend and hope it does the trick.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Tre, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

As you've found out, there are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums.

Pictures? Do you have any pictures to share? We love pics!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler