I'm new to FRV's - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
I'm new to FRV's

Hi, I just bought a 78 Burro this summer from Minnesota a couple of months ago and am having fun restoring it to livable condition. I was told it was used as a hunting camp for about the last 15 years. I've put a lot of hours on the door which seems to be one huge problem since it so flexible. I've got it a whole lot better though and hope to us it this winter for 2-3 months as I get away from Upper Michigan. I've had a Lil Guy Rascal for 3 years and took that to Florida a couple of times. This year I hope to go out west were I hear there is more sunshine and dry weather. I'm glad I've joined the site here and have gotten some good info on trying to solve my door fit problem. Duane
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sounds like a great project you are working on.

Actually we are having rather large Rain Dance gatherings to honor arrival of the spirits of El Nino in sunny Southern California. With any luck it will be fairly wet out here this winter, but I hear that the Northwest may not be as wet.... but also not as sunny.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome, Duane! Have you posted photos of your burro?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Hello Duane and welcome ? My wife and i had a Uhaul when we first started with the FGRV gatherings about 8 or 9 years ago but now have a 17 Bigfoot and a Trails West Campster. We have fond memories of the little Uhaul and we had a similar problem with the door ( a gap at the bottom big enough for small critters to enter although thankfully none ever did ). if you are looking for dry weather conditions almost anywhere in the west will work as we are all experiencing one of the worst dry spells in a long time. Hope to see you around the campfire somewhere. We are in Twin Falls Idaho which is a great place to live or visit or if you prefer a larger city Boise will work both places are great for any outdoor activities. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
Last trip south

My last trip to Florida was for 6 weeks and it was 48 degrees and raining for some of the vacation in January and February. I still went out and put 400 miles on my bicycle despite the weather.

I have been trying to find a small towable trailer (that you can stand in) for about a year now. I missed quite a few too. The Burro I found was fairly close by and the seller told me if I wanted it it was mine. He had a greater offer the day I was going to leave to pick it up but was a man of his word I really appreciated it and let him know.

I have a 4 cylinder car and was hoping to find something I could gut and redo with cedar like I did my Rascal. There must have been well over a hundred pounds of particle board I removed and replaced with cedar.

I wanted to remove the frame to see what kind of shape it was in and after sandblasting two corners found two stress cracks about 1.5 inches long. Right where the first crossmember was near the front of the shell. It took me quite some time to get the frame redone and put back under but now I feel I can go and not worry about it failing somewhere far from home. I also replaced the wheel bearings and repacked them.

I now am running out of time because it has started to snow up here. I'm not going to be able to finish the interior or work on the windows much but I am going to get out of here for part of the coming winter no matter what! ha.

I have more photos and will get more posted when the weather forces me back inside. It's 40 and sunny here now so I better get crackin.
Attached Thumbnails
burro 001.jpg   burro 006.jpg  

Burro repair 021.jpg   fixer upper 001.jpg  

DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote