I'm Rachel from Seattle! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Washington
I'm Rachel from Seattle!

Hello!

I'm just now getting around to writing my long-overdue introduction. Thankfully, this delay is because I've been having a blast renovating and camping in my new-to-me Scamp 13'.

My partner and I purchased our 2003 Scamp in early November of last year. It was in beautiful shape and has been well cared for by two previous owners. The interior was still stock from the factory, and with the help of this forum we have made a number of modifications to make her our "own". We are former tent campers and still frequently backpack, so this has been a major upgrade for us.

Since November we've removed the carpet and installed Allure Ultra vinyl flooring, which has been wonderful since we travel with two dogs. We also painted all the existing cabinet doors, hardware, and furnace. Lastly, we removed the couch/bunk bed and turned it into a small dinette. I was really nervous about making that first slice into the fiberglass, but with all the helpful mod instructions on this forum it turned out beautifully. We also added a small shelf over the dinette table utilizing the former bunk tab. We leave the bed set up full time and the addition of a small dinette has made this little trailer just perfect for us.

Our current TV is a 2012 Subaru Forester, with a towing capacity of 2400lbs. We are very careful with overall weight and weight distribution, and find our tongue weight is generally under 175lbs. That said, we will be upgrading our TV at the end of the year as we have found that the Forester is just too underpowered for towing in the mountains of the PNW. Until then, we'll be taking it nice and slow which is just fine by me.

We'll be at the Taidnapam gathering in a couple weeks and hope to meet some of you there. Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3640.jpg   IMG_3855.jpg  

IMG_3858.jpg   IMG_3857.jpg  

ScampingInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree 100% with your dinette addition, it makes the floorplan perfect for a party of two.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
The trailer looks very nice. When you decide to get a more powerful TV check back in to get some thoughts and tips. Getting one that is reliable, handles well, and has towing power is sometimes a dicey task and the tow rating isn't a good guideline.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Boy, very nice looking Scamp Rachel. The only other thing I have to add is that I wish I was from Seattle! I went to school at Wazzu, but only got to the coast once. I left in early October, the same year Mt. St. Helens blew (1980).

Enjoy that Scamp! One day, God willing, we'll be retired and out there with our egg!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Nice mods to your cute little trailer.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Love your new dinette Rachel. Well done. Prepare for lots of fun trips.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #8

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, love the renos especially the front dinette - looks perfect.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Welcome to the site "ScampinginSeattle" from another wet country camper.
We too moved from backpacking into a 13' Scamp. We did this about 10 years ago when we purchase a new, ordered from factory, 13' Scamp.
I've replaced most of the cabinet doors with solid wood (maple) which I woodburned decorations on and then added some color. I don't like the vinyl coated press board doors. There's mountain sceens that cover the 3 above the kitchen, the overhead at the back is a silhouette of the Oregon Cascades from the east side. The front overhead has tiger lilies at each end.

We still feel it's quite luxurious. We're retired folks so we head for sunny south come winter and spend 3 or 4 months living in our little trailer. We're often envied for being able to live in such a small space. To us it seems like a lot of room compared to our little backpacking tent.

Happy Camping, If you should come down our way let me know, maybe we join at a campground and compare trailers and notes.
We're in Salem, Oregon
Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #10

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Looks very nice. I'm sure you, partner and dogs will love it.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote