I'm Silent Generation (aka Carol) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Name: Carol
Trailer: Gathering information
Washington
Post I'm Silent Generation (aka Carol)

I have joined up because I'm interested in traveling without the hassle of airplanes, airports, hotels, a lot of heavy traffic, etc! I'm in the looking phase. I want a good used small trailer that I can pull behind my Honda CRV; Scamps or Perris Pacers are my primary interests. I appreciate any help you all are able to provide! I'll read your adventures with interest.
Looking forward to interacting with you. SG/C
Silent Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
First thing you need to do is determine the towing capacity of your car, and the rated tongue weight. We towed a 13 foot fiberglass camper with our 2003 CRV. We were right at the 1500 lb limit of the car, which is not good. It worked for the couple years we did it, but certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it. Have since sold that trailer and moved up to a full size truck as a tow vehicle for our Casita 17.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: Gathering information
Washington
Honda CRV 2016

Thanks for the info. I will check for sure, but I think it will be OK. I have plenty of time as used Perris Pacers or Scamps are _not_ in plentiful supply. I'm in no hurry.
Silent Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree that a CRV is pretty limiting, given that the smallest 13’ molded trailers start around 1400-1500# loaded and go up from there. See the thread “Trailer Weights in the Real World” in the General Chat section for more information. Post #401 links to a handy spreadsheet.

To stay on the lighter end you will have to forego amenities like a toilet, shower, and AC. That in turn limits where and when you can travel. Many do have space to store a porta-potty for emergencies, but no privacy enclosure when they’re in use, unless you set up one of those tent-like shelters outside.

If that sort of minimalist travel suits you, a lighter alternative to a small egg trailer is a vintage Eriba Puck or its modern knock-off, the Meerkat. Only the roof is molded fiberglass; side walls are aluminum frame and skin like an Airstream. You can probably keep a loaded Puck or Meerkat under 1200#.

We have a much-loved 2006 CRV- great car!- but we tow our 13’ Scamp with a Honda Pilot.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You don't specify year and level of CRV that you have.
It is certain however that there are plenty of CRVs towing 13ft fiberglass trailers.
It is also certain that a properly equipped CRV of the right vintage is capable of doing so safely, comfortably, and without undue wear on the trailer , the TV, or its occupants.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:35 AM   #6

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Welcome, Carol!
This is a fantastic community filled with extremely generous, kind members.
Glad to have you here.
Gigi
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Welcome, Carol.
Good points have been made about towing weights vs. towing capacity. Something you might try, once you confirm wt. capacities, is to see if there is a trailer you can borrow or rent, to actually see what the performance is.
Variables might be: how fast do you drive (i.e. on the Interstates at 65±, or on the secondary highways and byways, where you're at 40-50 mph±); are you expecting to do mountain driving, or flat lands and rolling hills.
Also, how much does your gear weigh? Everything adds up.

In our case, there are two of us, and we have a 17 ft. Escape 17A. It weighs about 2000 lbs. dry, then with full water tank, full propane tanks, food, our gear, etc., we are typically at 2600 lbs.
We travel throughout the Western US and Canada, so we encounter mountain passes on most trips. So, we have a Honda Pilot, with a tow capacity of 3500 lbs. That puts us at < 80% of tow capacity. On significant mt. grades, we are sometimes at 40 mph in 3rd gear, and not 60-65 mph. It's not a problem for us; the Honda develops 250 HP when the engine is around 4000 RPM (read: we can hear it rev-ing), but that's what it's designed for.
Regarding lighter weight trailers without a bathroom. Our Escape 17A has no bathroom. We have a cabinet that our portapotty slides into. It's easy to empty into a toilet, or at a dump station (many times with no fee.). The trailer has no gray or black tanks, so that's significant weight and extra maintenance that we do not have. If we want a shower, we use a campground or other facility with one.

So, evaluate how you travel, what your expectations are, make a list of must-haves and druthers, and then your decision making should be easier.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:05 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: marty
Trailer: trillium
British Columbia
Hi Carol
have you considered the 13 foot trilliums one of them might suit your needs.
I am considering selling a few of mine this spring or summer (I have nine in total)
MartyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have a 2015 CRV which is pretty much identical to your 2016. I have never towed with it, but I have a truck for that purpose. Towing, I doubt my Honda would get much better gas mileage than my truck.

In 2015 Honda switched from an automatic transmission to a Continuously Variable Transmission. Most seem to think that the CVT is the weak link in the drive train in terms of towing. I would expect to service the transmission more often. Also expect the extra weight to reduce brake life.

You really don't know the weight of a trailer until you take it to a scale. And like people, the longer it's around, the more it weighs. Sellers will tell you the trailer they are selling is lighter that a feather and sure your car will be fine. Smile and be the skeptic.

If I wished to tow a travel trailer with my CRV, I would probably stick to a tear drop.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Might want to look at this spreadsheet of true weights
This was put together by a scale man that brought his equipment to a few fiberglass rallies

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rld-43010.html
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote