In Mesa, AZ - looking for small trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Cool In Mesa, AZ - looking for small trailer

We've been looking for a small trailer we can pull with our Subaru Outback (2.5L engine). I came across the Lil Snoozy and wondered if any of you had experience with this - and looking for recommendations. We currently have a tiny popup which we love, but we've discovered since buying it a few months ago that we are too old for a popup.
Linda Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
First, before looking at an FGRV, you need to check your vehicles manual for the towing capacity and tongue weight capacity for your particular vehicle.

Some (all?) Subaru's have the quirk that the tongue weight capacity is much lower than the towing limit would indicate. Typically a 2800 lb towing limit is further limited with a 200 lb tongue limit, well under the 10% of total trailer weight you would want at 2800 lbs.

Look in your manual or post additional info about the year and driveline of your Subaru to find that out. Just as a WAG I think that the Lil Snoozy, at 2500 lbs with a 185 lb tongue weight dry, would be above your Subaru's towing capacity when loaded and ready to go..

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

Arizona
Looks like we'll need a new car, or smaller trailer.

I have spent 3 days researching and it appears that if we want to keep our Subaru, we'll need to get a 13' Scamp, it's the only one light enough for us to pull safely and efficiently. If we want something bigger, we'll need to get a vehicle with a bigger engine.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #4

That's a fairly common consensus for the Subaru situation. Next, you need to know that the 13' Scamp with the front bath is very tongue heavy. But also note that there are a number of other 13' variations on the Egg, just watch the actuall weights (not mfgs. specifications LOL)

Old 08-15-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you happen to be up in the White Mountains (Pinetop area) and want to see a Scamp in person, send me a PM. We have a 2008 13 standard layout 1. No, it's not for sale!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

Arizona
Good heavens, we live in Mesa and were just up at the Canyon Point Campground with our popup this last weekend. The hard rain is what has us looking for a hard-sided camper. I just found the Weis Craft Ponderosa through this group, and that looks mighty interesting. We can store it in our garage, which is a big plus for us. We may take you up on the visit to look at your camper. Any excuse to get out of the valley...
Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
How tall is your garage door opening, Linda? At 7'4" the Ponderosa is still too tall for a standard 7' garage (unless you swap road wheels for 8" storage wheels, as some do).

Current Scamp 13's, at 7'6", are a little taller, but anything built before January 2006 will be a bit shorter than the Ponderosa, about 7'1"(?).

The ultimate garageable fiberglass trailers are the Hunter Compacts. Hunter is one of the long-gone legacy manufacturers, but I've seen some nice ones come up for sale. They have a small, pop-up section on the roof. Because they are lighter and lower than many 13'ers, they'd pull nicely behind your Outback.

Sounds like you're inclined toward a new unit, but just throwing out some options...
Old 08-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

The Weiscraft is a bit heavier than one would think. Did you look at the MFG. specs, and then add about 400 lbs. for any options and your personal stuff? Here is the spec sheet:
Weis Craft Trailers - Ponderosa Little Joe Trailer Floor Plan and Specifications

Also, at 7'4" it won't go through what is considered a "Standard" garage door that is 84" (7") tall.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

Arizona
Thanks. I measured our garage door opening at the lowest point and it's 7'8", and even adding 400 pounds, that puts the trailer at 1880 - well under the 2700 limit for our Subaru. I'm going to look for a Subaru chat site like this one and see what I can learn there, too.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

Arizona
OH, and by the way, if we can find a used camper that would make us, well - happy campers.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
1880 pounds is in the same range as a Scamp 13, and I believe prices are comparable as well. The narrower profile of the Weiscraft reduces air resistance at highway speeds and might eliminate the need for mirror extensions. But the Scamp has more room on a rainy day. With a 7'8" garage door (lucky you!) a Scamp without roof AC would fit.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #12

Arizona
Well, now I've got to look at the web sites again. Thanks, we sure want to get the right unit to begin with.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #13

Hmmmm... Unless you have some previous experience in small trailers it can be very daunting to get the "right one" the first time.

It's often suggested to buy a used FGRV in good condition and use it for a season to find what you do and don't like about that one, sell it, and then find your dream machine. If you buy in the winter you can usually sell in late summer for as much or even more than you bought a used FGRV for in the first place.

We went through three before finding our perfect fit; 1st a 13' Scamp with bath, 2nd a 13' BigFoot and now our happy Hunter Compact-II

Here's pics of some of them. Feel fee to look through the other albums.
The Best 13 Ft RV On The Planet by Robert Miller | Photobucket