In the market (sort of) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: Peggy
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Smile In the market (sort of)

Hi all,
I have been semi looking for an RV for about 5 years. I am still waiting for the right time, although it looks like the time will never be right! I tried to retire 3 years ago, but could not make ends meet, so I am back working part-time. I am trying to save enough money to clear my debt, sell everything, and hit the road with my dog. I will be traveling alone. Not scared to do so, but, of course, during this virus problem, I know I will have to wait. So - long story short: I need advice! I have narrowed down my choice to the Casita Spirit as it seems a perfect size. Now, I need to decide on a tow vehicle. I currently own a Subaru Crosstrek which will not do the job, I'm afraid. Think I want a pickup truck, preferably with cover. I would love some suggestions. Thinking about a Nissan, Toyota, or Honda - primarily because they seem to last forever. Any ideas for a single gal?
Thanks in advance!
Peggy
phopesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Don't be afraid to look at 1/2 ton trucks. Often they cost the same or little more than the smaller trucks and gas mileage isn't much different, especially when towing. Each vehicle will have a sticker on the driver's door, usually yellow, that shows maximum towing and payload for that particular vehicle. The capabilities of one F150, for example, can differ from it's neighbor on the lot by hundreds of pounds. You'll want at least 5000lb tow rating. 17' Casitas are about 400# tongue weight so pay attention to the payload rating. Happy shopping!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Casita Spirit 17 and tow with a Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi 5.7 engine. Very happy with that combination but would certainly look at the Toyota Tundra. Actually did try out a used Tundra but the Ram had lower mileage and was cheaper. I only had 4 weeks to find a tow vehicle so had little time to shop around.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
If you decide on a used Toyota pickup, try to get one 2014 or older with the 4L V6 engine. Later ones have a smaller engine that spins at higher RPMs to produce the same towing power.

Be sure to check the door sticker for towing specs before you commit.

Ours is rated to tow 6400 lbs, towed our Casita great, and now pulls a 21 ft Escape that weighs 4200 camping with a 425 lb tongue weight.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
On the used market, good F150s are plentiful. I have 130,000 miles on my 2010, I bought it used with just 12,000 miles for half of what the seller paid for it new. So the seller took a huge hit on it.

Toyota Tacomas are highly thought of, and hold their value extremely well. So used they are still pretty expensive.

I have owned both an F150 Super Crew and an F150 Super Cab. Next truck I will get the Super Crew.

As a retired person myself, its certainly best to have your finances in really good shape before calling it a day (retiring) and spending money on discretionary items like RVs.

So if I was buying used, I would seriously consider an F150. Buying new, maybe a Toyota Tacoma. As reference, I paid less for my used F150 with 12,000 miles on it than I would have paid for a Tacoma with 175,000 miles on it. Since I tend to keep vehicles for a long time, entry price is much more important than resale price.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Honda Ridgelines and Toyota Tacomas hold their values really well. Good for sellers, not so good for buyers. Since you’re on a tight budget, the value option might well be a Nissan V6- you can probably a much newer and lower mileage unit compared to Tacoma or Ridgeline. Just check Carfax and avoid units from rust-belt states.

I agree an F150 could be a comfortable and economical alternative to a mid-size truck. For a smaller trailer the 2.7L Ecoboost engine is plenty for towing and can give pretty good mileage in everyday use if you drive gently. Downside is it’s bulky in a parking lot.

I know lots of people with Tundras. The one thing they all agree on is they suck gas.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The Honda Ridgeline would be worth considering too. I have a 2013 Ridgeline, purchased new. It has 165k miles on it, including about 10k miles towing every year and it's never needed a repair, just routine maintenance. It has two unique, useful features: a roomy trunk under the bed and a two-way tailgate. I've towed through the Appalachians and the Rockies several times with no problems other than gearing down on long, steep grades.
Lots of workable choices. Good luck with your searches.

Walt
Old 03-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #8

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi, just be aware that right now may not be a good time to go on the road, many parks are closed or closing and people are being advised to stay home. The US/Canada border is closed for personal trips. If you are planning on going full-time, you might want to consider a Van vs pickup truck. I have always preferred a van (econoline) because my stuff stays dry and is locked up and the wind resistance is the same with the trailer.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokra View Post
Hi, just be aware that right now may not be a good time to go on the road, many parks are closed or closing and people are being advised to stay home. The US/Canada border is closed for personal trips. If you are planning on going full-time, you might want to consider a Van vs pickup truck. I have always preferred a van (econoline) because my stuff stays dry and is locked up and the wind resistance is the same with the trailer.
That's a very good point - if you don't need 4WD, a van gives extra covered space, which you may really want if you're full-timing. If on a limited budget, I'm in agreement with the Nissan Frontier/F150 folks. I'm not sure about long term reliability of those small turbocharged engines (2.7 and 3.5). We chose a 4Runner with the "old" 4.0 liter engine - rock reliable basically forever.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
i have seen

How about those tall delivery vans? Ford and Dodge come to mind I have seen people camping in those. Also have seen people in the Dodge Caravaans single people too!

You don't need a trailer and for a single person you may be better off without one!

Use your head maybe the van thing fixes lots of things for you. Think outside the box. A trailer just may not be what you need!

Maybe be far cheaper and simplier in the long run!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #11

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Look at the payload stickers (inside the driver door jam) yourself when you shop. The big differences are due to options on the different vehicles. Some of the manufacturer websites have a decent lookup tool, but require a vin to get a specific payload rating.

Definitely consider a van. If you don't need to carry unwieldy furniture or gravel/dirt, or want 4wd, then I think a van is much better even for tow vehicle.

Consider diesel. You'll see a smaller decrease in mpg when towing. They are a little bit more $$, but I find them much more reliable. YMMV

I went overboard with the big RAM diesel, but I'll never be the guy with ten cars piled up behind me (whatever I end up towing). Others like the cheaper gasoline that does nearly as well.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #12

Name: J
Trailer: Shopping puck or scamp
Massachusetts
Hi,

2018 Escape 17B
Tow with a Hyundai sport VAN. 5000 tow.

First non Toyota of our lives. Tacoma and tundra, Prious,

Like the van!
Trying out camping it’s our 1980 van worked good for us.
Escape 17b plus a van. ��
J Selleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #13

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
The Nissan Frontier has a good track record since 2011 onward. Very simple interior (pro or con), rough ride, and poor safety ratings are possible downsides. But if cost is a factor it's a no-brainer. For the 2020, although it looks the same, it has a new engine and transmission so you might want to steer clear of it until its been proven.

The only bad thing I've heard said about the Ridgeline is that it's "not a real truck." I've heard "crossover pickup" used to describe it, which I have to admit sounds more accurate. I'm in a heated battle with myself trying to decide if we really need something bigger than the Ridgeline can pull, because I really like that truck. Oops, that "crossover pickup."
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #14

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
The only bad thing I've heard said about the Ridgeline is that it's "not a real truck." I've heard "crossover pickup" used to describe it, which I have to admit sounds more accurate. I'm in a heated battle with myself trying to decide if we really need something bigger than the Ridgeline can pull, because I really like that truck. Oops, that "crossover pickup."
That's one major thing in favor of the Ridgeline for me. I often refer to it as a Pilot disguised to look (and act) like a pickup. It has by far the most comfortable ride and handling of any pickup, crossover or otherwise. It is rated for 5,000 lb tow and has towed my 17' Bigfoot and now my 17' Escape with ease.
My only complaint ever has been a wish for better mileage and I hear the second generation models are much better.

Walt
Old 03-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #15

SW Virginia
At one point I considered a van for a tow vehicle, but depending on your camping style there are some clear disadvantages.
If you carry a generator, gas can, or a small propane tank for cooking appliances, you shouldn't carry any of those in the same space as the people, and that pretty well precludes a van unless you develop ways to mount them outside.

Walt
Old 03-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #16

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Van vs Truck

We've been thinking of moving to a Class B and drove a Winnebago Travato recently. It's built on the RAM Promaster van. It was much worse to drive than my F150, even worse than the F150+Casita. The seats were uncomfortable, the steering was vague, it was noisy and under powered. We were very disappointed, especially since we liked the concept. Ford has the Transit van with the good 3.5 Ecoboost engine and AWD. I'd like to try one of those.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #17

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
my 2 cents:
I hauled my 16 foot Scamp with a Honda Pilot.
When we sold it and bought a 19 foot Scamp (gooseneck),
I traded the Pilot for a 2018 Ford F 150, 2.7 liter ecoboost,
(2 wheel drive). It is an STX, pretty basic, so it didn't cost me that much.

It can haul 9000 lbs., and I have been VERY PLEASED with the gas mileage--it gets at least 3 mpg better than my Pilot, both around town
and on the road.

As to the van idea, you might take a look at Escape travel vans--they sell some of their rentals, for what seems like reasonable prices. They are already set up for travel/camping, since that is what they were used for.
https://www.escapecampervans.com/?s=vans%20for%20sale
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #18

Name: GG
Trailer: Bigfoot
Illinois
Bigfoot and TV may be available.

[QUOTE=phopesc;771538]Hi all,
I have been semi looking for an RV for about 5 years. I am still waiting for the right time, although it looks like the time will never be right! .....

This was to be our last RVing summer for a while......intend to spend next few years traveling in Europe. Now with the virus putting our summer RV plans in jeopardy we're considering putting our 2014 25' Bigfoot up for sale this Spring (along with our low mileage TV, 2013 F150 Ecoboost). Haven't settled on a price yet, but ballpark under $65k for both. Get with me if interested. Near St Louis MO. --Gary
Recycle...ride your bike again.
oldsgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
Lil Snoozy

Not sure how heavy the Casita is but I’ve been towing my 17ft Lil Snoozy all over the continent with my 2010 Forrester and 2017 Outback since 2012. Both 4 cylinders. My wife and I have decided to sell our Snoozy if you’re interested. Perfect for someone traveling alone. If you want to know more let me know.
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #20

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Get a tundra extended cab which comes with a 6.5 foot bed perfect for carrying bicycles or gear underneath a tonneau cover. They are much more reliable than the Dodge has or the Fords. Mine toes my 21 foot Bigfoot with no trouble. My Chevy 1500 used to tow my 17 Casita like it wasn't even there
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote