Intro, Newbie - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #1

Name: R
Trailer: shopping
Kansas
Talking Intro, Newbie

Hi, My name is Robert and currently live in Kansas. I am just starting out in this wonderful life style. Kids are gone and I am now single after my wife's passing. She was very ill and no longer suffers. I thought what can I do that would be NEW and Adventurous then I found you all. I don't know what to say really but I will watch the classified for equipment. I will be pulling whatever I buy with a Ford F150, 2 wheel drive w/ 2.7 engine bumper pull right now. Many of my friends asked "where will you go with a trailer as you have been to all the lower 48 states in USA". The difference this time is I will be doing it at my pace and staying as long as I want. I drove 18 wheeler before now I will go at my pace. Well I probably said to much already so I will wait for some to correct me about correct proto call. Thanks
Robert
Older by the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
So sorry about your loss.

All the best with your search. We had been just about everywhere, at "65MPH" during my working career. I was always limited to one week of vacation at a time, so if you wanted to go far, you went at a brisk pace and you didn't stop anywhere for long. The joke was if I missed the exit for Disney World, it was "OK, not this trip".

This go around we are returning to our favorite spots, and spending real time at each one. No more afternoons at Yellowstone, now it is a week, or two.

Have fun researching the advantages and disadvantages of all brands, and check out weights in the real world, as sellers often underestimate the weight of their trailers. Smaller trailers fit in ANY campsite. Get a place to sit separate from the bed, and a bathroom if that is what you want.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Robert! So sorry to hear of your wifeís passing. Best wishes as you heal and move forward.

Your truck gives you a lot of options , but traveling solo thereís no reason to haul a great big trailer around. You might take a look at the Casita 17 models for starters. Theyíre an excellent fit for your truck and fairly easy to find. If you prefer even smaller, Scamp makes several models. Going larger, thereís Escape, Oliver, and BIgfoot. Your truck should pull any molded trailer except the largest BIgfoot. Scamp and Escape make fifth wheel models towable by an F150.

You wonít find molded fiberglass trailers at dealers, but a rally is one way to see a bunch at one time. Hard to say how COVID will play out in 2021, but it looks like quite a few are back up this year. Thereís a rally section with a map of scheduled events. Contact hosts about making a day visit to have a look-see.

Most of the manufacturers also have a demo program in which they match you with an owner to view their trailer. Again, itís been on hold due to the pandemic, but 2021 might bring a slow return to business as usual. We hope!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #4

Name: R
Trailer: shopping
Kansas
Hi
I have briefly looked at the Casita 17, it seems like they lack a heat source and AC. All the ads I have seen say no AC or heat. Scamp is a good unit but they said there is a 16 month wait. WOW. So I will keep looking for a almost new, used rig. And Thanks for the help .
Robert
Older by the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Casita 17 is available with an optional propane furnace and rooftop A/C. I would say that most are sold with both options. Keep looking!

Here’s one as a sample (and a classified page you might find useful). Price is on the high side, but it’s well equipped, including furnace and A/C.
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...san-antonio-tx

And yes, demand for small molded fiberglass trailers of all brands is at an all-time high due to the pandemic. People are turning to RVs as an alternative to airplanes and hotels. Manufacturing capacity is limited; molded fiberglass is perhaps 2-3% of annual RV production. New or used, it may take some time.

I’d consider anything up to around 8-10 years old as “near-new”. Molded trailers aren’t as vulnerable to structural failure as conventional framed trailers. Still, it does come down to how they were treated. Inspect carefully, test everything, and hold back a portion of your budget for inevitable repairs.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
It’s not that surprising that since Casitas are made in TX, A/C is standard, heat is optional. Other trailers can be just the opposite. With Scamps everything is an option. Gives buyers maximum choice.

If I were traveling solo, I’d target the Escape 5th wheel first. Roomy, but with the 5th wheel design, very compact. My second choice would be the Escape 17B. Contact Escape and they will put you in touch with local owners. I much prefer the Escape 17 deign with large windows front and rear versus the Casita.

My challenge with a fifth wheel is the loss of truck bed carrying capacity. At the same time my next Rv will be the Escape 5th wheel.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #7

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Wisconsin
Registry
Welcome Robert: I assume you have traveling with trailer down so It is down to the choice. Solo travel is great for a while but don't forget that things can change. I was solo for a time but now travel quite a bit with a companion. That being said be flexible in what you buy for a first trailer. Each of us are comfortable with some inconveniences. You may be good with truck stop restrooms and showers on the road where many others are not even aware. My wife and I tend to drive from 2AM to noon set up camp, lunch, hike for a couple of hours, eat, sleep and repeat. We often resupply on the road with a quick stop early (for most) about 7Am. Many camping spots have laundry facilities. We like staying at National Parks in the US and Provincial Parks in Canada. My wife likes a good shower every day but admits it is not a necessity. I also like the idea of a shower each day. We do all of our cooking outdoors and only stay inside during really cold or inclement weather. We travel with a 13' vintage 1972 boler that is totally modified. I don't think it would be great but would be ok for 3 or 4 months a year. Our longest trip was 32 days and 3700 miles. We have a furnace and no other appliances. our camper is almost all storage and a bed.
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Welcome to camping; We got a 78 boler from friends it had a lot of work done at the time and we have done more over the years. Furnace, electric brakes, hot water and our washroom for us are must haves. Especially the furnace we had a furnace problem after purchase and tried to use space heaters for a couple of years in the end a new furnace was put in. Would not go without a furnace. In your time of loss you may consider camping with grandkids is a lot of fun.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:27 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Robert,

Sorry about your loss and welcome to the forum.

My wife and I live in the Kansas City metro area and currently pull a 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe with a 2016 F-150 2.7L 2WD Supercab.

I too highly recommend attending/visiting a fiberglass trailer rally to see different brands and models/lengths. We often attend the Kansas Eggstravaganza (usually at Milford Lake near Junction City) and can recommend it. To attend/visit the rally, you could stay at a nearby motel, or in a tent, etc.

As you have already discovered, there are often long lead times for most new fiberglass trailer brands. You might consider placing an order for a new trailer and then continuing to hunt for a used trailer. (Scamp only asks for a $500 deposit that would be completely and cheerfully refunded if you find another trailer. Wayne Pitlick is/was our Scamp salesman and is/was very helpful, a nice guy, and not very high pressure.)

If you are able to find a used fiberglass trailer, they usually sell very quickly and often at near new prices. The good news there is that there probably isn't much financial penalty for making a suboptimal initial FGRV purchase (assuming the trailer is solid and well cared for - there is a used trailer checklist elsewhere on this forum). If you later sell your first trailer, you will likely get most/all of your money back at resale time.

Good luck on your search!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
new vs new old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Robert,

Sorry about your loss and welcome to the forum.

I too highly recommend attending/visiting a fiberglass trailer rally to see different brands and models/lengths. We often attend the Kansas Eggstravaganza (usually at Milford Lake near Junction City) and can recommend it. To attend/visit the rally, you could stay at a nearby motel, or in a tent, etc.

As you have already discovered, there are often long lead times for most new fiberglass trailer brands. You might consider placing an order for a new trailer and then continuing to hunt for a used trailer. (Scamp only asks for a $500 deposit that would be completely and cheerfully refunded if you find another trailer. Wayne Pitlick is/was our Scamp salesman and is/was very helpful, a nice guy, and not very high pressure.)

If you are able to find a used fiberglass trailer, they usually sell very quickly and often at near new prices. The good news there is that there probably isn't much financial penalty for making a suboptimal initial FGRV purchase (assuming the trailer is solid and well cared for - there is a used trailer checklist elsewhere on this forum). If you later sell your first trailer, you will likely get most/all of your money back at resale time.

Good luck on your search!

Ray
Well said; although we really like our 78 boler and would never replace it with a new trailer. Put into it with purchase and repairs enough to purchase a new trailer "years of fun priceless"
Old 01-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Thanks, Borden!

We attended the Boler 50th anniversary event up in Winnipeg and had a great time. I've said a number of times that, in my experience and partially based on that 50th anniversary event, I think that Boler owners may well be amongst the most creative FGRV owners that I've ever encountered!

I also agree with your suggestion that Robert might at least consider the idea of camping with his grandkids. By virtue of circumstances surrounding the death of their uncle, my wife and I took a multi-day cross-country trip with 3 grandkids in our Scamp 13 big-bed trailer. Although necessitated by a sad event, it was an enjoyable and highly memorable trip for all!

In our current Scamp 16 Deluxe Layout A, we chose the free swap of front sofa/bunk-beds (instead of the usual front dinette) partially so that we could retain the ability to take some grandkids along on camping adventures. Our other strongly-considered trailer, an Escape 17B, would also have allowed camping with grandkids.

Whatever brand/model of FGRV trailer Robert initially (or finally) chooses, I wish him good luck and much happiness!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #12

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Robert,
My condolences to you, I too have lost my wife of 56 years to Ovarian Cancer this past September. It's a extremely difficult time in your life to deal with. We used to live outside of Tonganoxie, KS before we moved to Virginia 4 years ago. I also was a trucker for the last 14 years, 2 years concrete mixer, 2 years end dump, and 10 years flatbed hauling concrete pipe and other precast concrete products. I miss my truck.
This will be my first year traveling by myself, which we be a situation I'm not sure how to handle, since we always did everything together. I guess one trip at a time. I want to make a trip back to KC area sometime this summer, maybe I'll sign up for the rally at Millford, we did that one before we moved.

Get your gizzer pass, that gives you half off on all COE and National Parks, stop by some campgrounds in your area and just talk and look. Where in Kansas do you live?

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #13

Name: Lee
Trailer: Trillium
AB
Propex furnace is compact and can be added to anything that doesn't already have one. I added one to my 1975 trillium in addition to the original induction furnace. I mostly wanted the better temperature control, since the induction adjustment seemed to under or overshoot by a huge margin (5C or more). The propex uses allot less power than most modern furnaces (<2A as opposed to over 5A in most cases) which is great for camping without hookup. I can run both at once if it gets really cold in the winter (Below -10C).

Good luck in your search, I hope you have lots of fun.
leecyrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #14

Name: Matt
Trailer: 2015 Casita Independence -Sold- Escape 5.0 TA -Deluxe
Texas
Since you already have a 1/2 ton pickup, have you considered the Escape 5.0TA small 5th wheel trailer. It has been designed to be towed by a short bed PU. In my experience, it will tow easier than a comparable size bumper pull, while having a shorter overall length than an attached 19' trailer. We love ours, and find that it has perfect storage space for multi month excursions. . .Matt
steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #15

Name: Frances
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older by the Day View Post
Hi, My name is Robert and currently live in Kansas. I am just starting out in this wonderful life style. Kids are gone and I am now single after my wife's passing. She was very ill and no longer suffers. I thought what can I do that would be NEW and Adventurous then I found you all. I don't know what to say really but I will watch the classified for equipment. I will be pulling whatever I buy with a Ford F150, 2 wheel drive w/ 2.7 engine bumper pull right now. Many of my friends asked "where will you go with a trailer as you have been to all the lower 48 states in USA". The difference this time is I will be doing it at my pace and staying as long as I want. I drove 18 wheeler before now I will go at my pace. Well I probably said to much already so I will wait for some to correct me about correct proto call. Thanks
Robert
Hi Robert, best of luck to you, my husband passed-over back in March , we shared the love of travel. As a female, Iím a little apprehensive to go it alone...Iím out of AZ. I have a 17í Casita 2011.
FabulousFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote