Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #61
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Thank you all for the kind words and thoughtful critiques. Though the Nest cannot be all things to all people, we nevertheless will seriously consider all reasonable suggestions that will move us toward our marketing goals.

FYI: We did look carefully at cassette toilets. And we may yet revisit the concept. Unfortunately, these require access from the outside through a flat hatch door. As many of you know, forcing a flat door onto a curved shell surface looks bad and doesn't work well. One of our major objectives is to assiduously maintain the clean style of our shell body, allowing as few interruptions as possible.

In fact, this decision to defend the integrity of the shell design was the primary reason for choosing an electric refrigerator. A 3-Way, absorption-style refrigerator requires intake and exhaust vents (also ill-fitting on curves) that don't yet measure up to the design aesthetics we are reaching for. Luckily, the NovaKool is an extremely efficient fridge and makes for a reasonable compromise.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #62

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
In fact, this decision to defend the integrity of the shell design was the primary reason for choosing an electric refrigerator. A 3-Way, absorption-style refrigerator requires intake and exhaust vents (also ill-fitting on curves) that don't yet measure up to the design aesthetics we are reaching for. Luckily, the NovaKool is an extremely efficient fridge and makes for a reasonable compromise.
I agree that one trailer can't be everything to everyone.

However, I like the choices you have made so far. I bought a trailer with an ice box so that I could put an electric fridge in and maintain the clean lines. I also vented the AC out the bottom for similar reasons.

Keep up the good work. I like what I see so far and look forward to seeing more.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #63

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I can appreciate all of the thought that went into this product!

Many existing trailer designs with 13' cabins are only 16' overall. Here in California, there is a HUGE cost disparity between licensing a 16' trailer vs. licensing a 17' 2" trailer. A California PTI license amortizes out to a flat $2 per year. But it is limited to 16' overall while anything over that increases licensing cost 500% or more at your price point. This is a significant factor in the calculus of total cost which could have mitigated the sticker shock.
I can see the PTI license fee for 16' is about $10 for 5 years in Calif. What is it for a 17' ? Can't seem to find it in the mounds of DMV regulations. The fee does not seem to be based on the cost of the trailer, but weight and length. Thanks!
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #64

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
I can see the PTI license fee for 16' is about $10 for 5 years in Calif. What is it for a 17' ? Can't seem to find it in the mounds of DMV regulations. The fee does not seem to be based on the cost of the trailer, but weight and length. Thanks!
It might be wise for individuals to check their own provincial/state costs, as here in Alberta any non-commercial trailer license is a one time fee of $109, no matter the size.

To not clutter up this thread further with regards to licensing fees, I have started another thread for discussion on this topic.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post430092
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #65

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post PTI vs. VLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
I can see the PTI license fee for 16' is about $10 for 5 years in Calif. What is it for a 17' ?
It all is dependent on how California DMV defines your trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV.CA.gov
Trailer Definitions

The following trailers are registered under the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Program.
Camp Trailer (CVC §242)
A camp trailer (body type CMP) is a vehicle other than a motor vehicle:
  • designed to be towed on the highway,
  • capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes,
  • that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and 96 inches in width.
Where a trailer telescopes for travel, the size shall apply to the trailer as fully extended.
NOTE: Any tent trailer is a camp trailer. A camp trailer shall not be considered to be a trailer coach.

Trailers Excluded from the Permanent Trailer Identification Program
The following trailers are excluded from the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Program and are subject to annual registration as usual.

Travel trailers and/or fifth-wheel travel trailers
Travel trailers and/or fifth-wheel travel trailers that exceed the maximum length (16feet) and/or width (96 inches) for a camp trailer are trailer coaches (body type CCH) and cannot be registered under the PTI Program. (CVC §§242 and 636)
Annual registration as usual means that trailer coaches follow the same licensing rules and prices as your tow vehicle.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Registry
Here's a cool site about contemporary design…
If It's Hip, It's Here: Good Design For The Great Outdoors: Nest Caravans

Hey! What a coincidence!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #67

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Here's a cool site about contemporary design…
If It's Hip, It's Here: Good Design For The Great Outdoors: Nest Caravans

Hey! What a coincidence!
That was a nice out-lay.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #68
Commercial Member

Registry
Very exciting news!

Thanks to our recent exposure on the "if Its Hip, Its Here" site last Friday, we were contacted by the designer of the Airstream Basecamp (and many, many other great projects), Bryan Thompson. https://bryanthompsondesign.squarespace.com

Bryan will be joining our design team to polish up the exterior, refine the interior, and provide material consultation and sourcing.

Stay tuned!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #69

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
That is good news, Robert. Though not for everyone, the Basecamp is definitely a well thought out and finished trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #70
Commercial Member

Registry
FYI, we're not "remaking" the Basecamp or building any similar trailer that addressed that particular segment of the marketplace…

But we are taking advantage of Bryan's vast experience and skill-set within the travel trailer and transportation industries. His refinements to the aesthetics of the overall design will be huge for us. Can't wait!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #71

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fascinating process
https://www.facebook.com/CompositeApproach
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #72
Commercial Member

Registry
A little local press doesn't hurt!

Tumalo business to make travel trailers
Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #73

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
A little local press doesn't hurt!

Tumalo business to make travel trailers
How cool is that! Good for you Robert. I wish you much, much success as do many others here on FiberglassRV.

Now, I hope to see this new trailer at the Spring NOG and if not there... the Oregon Gathering in July (fingers crossed)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #74

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Very cool sites! Late night reading material for me, bookmarked them!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #75
Commercial Member

Registry
I hope Dale finds his way to this thread. He asks some good questions.

But before I drill down into too many details, please allow me this caveat: though we are still designing and engineering, some answers will not be known until we have prototypes built. So things could — and probably will — change. That said, here goes...

Dale asks:

Where is the hydronic heating system located, how does it draw air and vent, and how is the heat distributed throughout the cabin?

On the Exterior Details page of our website, you can see the heater vent located between the wheel well and the access hatch on the street-side views. On the Interior Details page you can find a link to the ALDE website that describes the Compact 3010.

Does the refrigerator vent to the outside? Is there a hood over the gas stove top and if so where does it vent?
The NovaKool R3100 is an electric-only, compressor-style refrigerator and requires no outside venting. No vent over the cooktop is planned at this time.

With...no continuous steel frame from tongue to bumper, where is one supposed to locate a jack for changing tires?
Reinforcement is engineered into the 1.875" thick composite floor around the wheel well.

The site says the camper comes with 16" rims to "match those found on most contemporary tow vehicles". It's a great look, but the artwork suggests they are 6-lug rims... Does the Nest really come with 6-lug hubs?
A couple points here: 1) my wheel/tire sources tell me that 16" trailer-specific rims cannot be found with five lugs; and 2) our 3500#-rated torsion axles are typically set up wit six lugs.

Again, some decisions/choices may be "reconsidered" down the line, but this is what we have in mind as of now. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #76

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You have to admit, Robert answers a lot of questions a lot quicker than some other fg manufacturers who sometimes seem to ignore prospective customers and owners after their purchase.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #77

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Robert,,,Belated Congratulations!!
I somehow missed this thread. I haven't read it all so I'll hold off on questions till I do but I went to your site and seen the renderings. As expected WOW,WOW,WOW!!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #78

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
I hope Dale finds his way to this thread.
Robert,

Yes, I did find this thread (thanks to Mary F for posting the link for me). I can't believe this thread has been out here for almost 2 months and I'm just now learning about it. And thanks Robert for addressing my questions. You are generating a lot of interest and positive vibes, and your responsiveness is much appreciated! Everyone is eager to see #0001 roll out your shop door. Best of luck...

Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #79

Trailer: Home Built
I just saw this adventure for the first time....Robert, you have done a great design and I wish you good luck and long business life.....Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #80

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You have to admit, Robert answers a lot of questions a lot quicker than some other fg manufacturers who sometimes seem to ignore prospective customers and owners after their purchase.
Those who have seen some of the total restores of older trailers Robert has done at fiberglass meets are not surprised. Amazing attention to detail and design. Have no doubt that each component of the trailer will be well thought out and researched unlike some of what we have seen with recent new fg manufactures.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote