Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #121

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Bryan Thompson has added some nice "automotive" styling details to our design...

... we're switching over to a Kinro window that has a very clean "frameless" look — again, very automotive in its styling.
I think the "automotive" styling will sell this trailer. I like it.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #122

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Might bump up the MSRP just a tad
Webasto Marine Roof in Maritimo C60 - YouTube

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #123

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Wow, I LOVE that sun roof! Can't wait to see pictures of one on a FGRV.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #124

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Are these Kinro windows available in dual glazed? Something preferable to me.

All depending on the cost of the option, a moon roof would not be something high on my priority list. It would be cool thing, but in reality not sure how much it would get used. But, I am sure it would suit people in a warm climate better.

Really liking what you are doing with this trailer though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #125

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Introducing Nest Caravans

That roof is great! I'd love the light and ventilation and 'being outdoors' feeling it would provide.

Other than the obvious question of cost, I'd be concerned that it not leak in hurricane conditions which is exactly what you have driving on the freeway into a thunderstorm where it is easy to experience an 80 mph wind driven rain.

We were just at an RV show this weekend sitting in a new 16' Airstream, with about the same living space and tow vehicle requirements as the Nest. The AS sticker price was $43,000 so there is certainly a market for high end small trailers. IMHO, Nest is smart to build in features like the sunroof, 12v fridge, and hot water heating, features no one else, even AS, has.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #126

Trailer:
I think the removal of the step/kink in the waistline is an improvement in appearance - but then the step/kink looked such a production nightmare to me that my aesthetic judgement may be biased.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #127
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Good morning...

Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming. We are paying close attention to everything said. We won't compromise on our intent to deliver quality, but nevertheless, since we're still in engineering, we will consider any good suggestion that provides a better product.

The Kinro windows are available with insulated glazing.

About the "moonroof": of course, we won't be offering a product that leaks, but keep in mind these things have been available and installed on automobiles for a long time, so we have high confidence they should work for us. If not, adios!

The Airstream 16' Sport is similarly sized/scaled to the Nest, but weighs 2860lbs. We're shooting for 2000...

The "step/kink" (joggle) at the waistline has not gone away, just not so easy to see in the posted image. This design has been defined as the preferred method of assembly by our fabricator. We have to trust the experts here.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #128

Name: Craig
Trailer: Currently researching
Ontario
Your Nest looks very interesting. I'd certainly put it near the top of the list if I was ready for a new trailer. However, something looks a little "off" to me in the pictures. I think it is sitting too high off the ground and would look better if lower. My wife would probably ask if there is a ladder to climb in.

I'm just new to FG trailers and trying to find out what the market has available. I think if I was going to design a new trailer I would distinguish it with the best insulation in the industry. I like your floor, but I would do something unique in the whole unit. A double wall construction with a FG outer and inner layer with at least 2"-3" of spray foam between, plus energy-efficient windows. That way it will be easy to heat and cool with minimum energy, and useable in all climate conditions.
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #129

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
I'm just new to FG trailers and trying to find out what the market has available. I think if I was going to design a new trailer I would distinguish it with the best insulation in the industry. I like your floor, but I would do something unique in the whole unit. A double wall construction with a FG outer and inner layer with at least 2"-3" of spray foam between, plus energy-efficient windows. That way it will be easy to heat and cool with minimum energy, and useable in all climate conditions.
Based on your stated criteria, the Oliver has a lot of what you're looking for. You can see them here.

Oliver Travel Trailers
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #130

Registry
cramar. that is what Bigfoot does to some degree too. I think the thickness of insulation you suggest might be too much, as it would take away a lot of volume.

The problem with this construction is twofold. It costs more and is heavier. Weight especially is something that most try to avoid with lightweight moulded fiberglass trailers. Bigfoot for example, I believe to be a very well built unit, but almost everything they make now requires a big tow vehicle due to weight.

The Oliver is spec'd out quite nice, but I am just not a fan for the cost. The exterior to me looks awkward, and I am one that does not at all like the institutional look of stark white fiberglass interiors.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #131

Name: Craig
Trailer: Currently researching
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Based on yor stated criteria, the Oliver has a lot of what you're looking for. You can see them here.

Oliver Travel Trailers
Real beautiful looking trailer too! But at 23 1/2' it is not in the same market segment as a Nest or smaller Escape. I image the Oliver is competition with the 21' Escape and even Airstream around that size.
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #132

Name: Harry
Trailer: currently shopping
Colorado
The nest caravan looks interesting. It is a bit to high for my current budget but given a chance, I would love to own one.
luxecaravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #133

Registry
A new thread was created to specifically cover the process of the building of the moulds, and the new Nest Caravan.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tep-63317.html
Old 03-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #134

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Thanks, Jim!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #135

New from gopower just passing it along to Robert. I Didn't know if it would help out or not, but thought it was interesting. Sure love those Nest build photos! Cheers

"can be secured with fasteners through pre-cut eyelets or adhesively mounted to metal, rubber, fiberglass and plastic surfaces with parabolic bends of as much as 30 degrees."
http://gpelectric.com/files/gpelectr...Solar_Flex.pdf
Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #136

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
It has been really fascinating to watch the progress of this build, and I am very impressed with the attention to detail. I think this is going to be a premium quality build, taking the smaller size to a new level.

One thing that is a must-have for my wife and me is a full-time bed that does not require crawling over each other. Is there any possibility of having an island-double-bed option in this camper?
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #137

For Nest owners who don't want to go the portable thetford route, good info here on the portable composting route. Natures head brand covered.
Composting Toilet
Old 01-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #138
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Ken infers that composting toilets could be interesting alternatives. True dat. But just to be clear, Nest will not be offering one as an option.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #139

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Red face Nest Caravans

Very interesting and creative. Looks great for the high desert. Any breaks for ONDA members?
Youlanzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #140

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy COMPOSITING TOILET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
For Nest owners who don't want to go the portable thetford route, good info here on the portable composting route. Natures head brand covered.
Composting Toilet
They tell you to dump the urine ON THE GROUND. I don't think this a good idea. I could do this with my Thetford which we only use for urine.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote