Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #101
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Sorry about that Ken. My Social Media skills are not quite up to snuff. Working on getting things squared away. This is the page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nest-...80631452142921

Hope this helps.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #102
Commercial Member

Registry
By the way, designer Bryan Thompson completed his "revisions" to our exterior design just before Christmas. Looks really cool! His work is now with our engineer being converted to CAD. The CAD, of course, gets translated for CNC machining of our patterns, from which molds will be built. More later!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #103

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you sir, i'm not on facebook and not registered so I thought i would ask. Thanks for the progress update. Bryan has an impressive resume when i skimmed over it
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #104

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Exciting stuff, Robert. Looking forward to seeing the real meal deal.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #105

I see the old link on the nest contact us page facebook.com/nestcaravans did not have a dash between the two words and the new link that works now does have the dash. Just passing along the info. if it is helpful
Old 01-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #106

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
There's something that puzzles me about the Nest's construction ...not quite sure exactly what's meant by "monococque chassis", and I think I've seen the word "unibody" used, too.

Anyway, I came across the below pic at this link, for which thanks. (So few mfr's put up pics of the undersides- as if that's not a critical consideration for a buyer!)

All I see there of steel is the tongue, the axle, what looks like a receiver, and a bit of bumper....is that all there is, or is more imbedded in the fiberglass-?

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #107

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
From my own research, it looks like what you see is what you get.

And I'm with you. So nice to see all views and angles of it all.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #108

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
All I see there of steel is the tongue, the axle, what looks like a receiver, and a bit of bumper....is that all there is, or is more imbedded in the fiberglass-?
Other than a way of fastening those three, I don't think with this design there would be anything else. Not positive, but I bet Robert will confirm things. I really like this concept, especially how clean looking it is, let alone a bit of weight savings.

If you go to Exterior at their site, you get a bit better look.
Nest Caravans | Home
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #109

monocoque uni-body at about the 1.40 mark in the first video

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post434965
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
monocoque uni-body at about the 1.40 mark in the first video

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post434965
Well, the guy does use the term but doesn't really explain what he means. I'm not sure that it means "no steel frame", which is what I'm wondering about in the case of the Nest.

There are a few quick pics in the first Nautilus vid that look like channels for frame members on the underside, and he does go on to talk about an "uninterrupted connection between the draw bar and the suspension", presumably meaning the axle. I got a brief glimpse of the rear underside of the Nautilus in the second video that seems to show steel framework in the aforementioned molded channels....

Not that any of this has to do with the Nest, but as I said, I'm not sure in this case "monococque" means "no steel frame"...does the Nest have one or not????
Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #111
Commercial Member

Registry
Sorry for the delay in responding. Been hard at work getting the new styling provided by designer Bryan Thompson into CAD. We're getting very close!

"Monocoque" and "uni-body"... These terms are somewhat synonymous. If interested, check out Wikipedia for the etymology of monocoque.

In our case, the floor of the Nest is comprised of a variety of lightweight composite materials, 1.5" thick, sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass, for a total thickness of 1.875". This has been engineered to provide incredible strength and rigidity. The delta tow frame up front and the axle assembly are bolted directly through the floor.

Not only does this methodology reduce weight, it offers a few other advantages:
1 eliminates the need for a wood subfloor of any kind -- no rotten floors ever...
2 we can build channels and conduits for wires, hoses, etc. right into the mold to keep things neat and tidy
3 we expect the construction of our floor to provide a degree of insulation not typically found in other trailers
4 better aerodynamics? Well, maybe. We'll see...

Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #112

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
The delta tow frame up front and the axle assembly are bolted directly through the floor.

No continuous frame? That is something new.

Is it correct then to assume that the molded fiberglass itself provides the necessary support for all stresses worked by the axle/tongue/receiver hitch?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #113
Commercial Member

Registry
Exactly!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #114

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
While I am sure that this is a well though out design decision, in my old age, I rely more on field testing. I think that is why I buy Trilliums. After 36 to 42 years, all my trailers have stood up fairly well, (other then a collapsed roof).

Only time will tell. Have you considered how your system may fail, and a repair procedure?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #115

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
No continuous frame? That is something new.
Or then again, maybe not. Where Nest is relying on the monocoque strength is just where many egg trailer frames have a very weak section, at least on one side, under the entry doorway. And that of course is right under the weak point in the body, at the doorway in a 'conventional' Boler/Scamp layout - whereas the Nest body is continuous there.

Monocoque fiberglass structures are used in the boating world to carry sailing yacht keels, that are subject to loads that would shred any trailer, so it is only a matter of designing the laminate to carry the load. Nest could still get it wrong with poor detail design, but it sounds like they know that.

"It hasn't yet been done" does not mean either "it can't be done" or "it shouldn't be done".
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #116

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I wish you the best of luck Robert and hopefully I'll see your Nest Caravan somewhere.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #117

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
Monocoque fiberglass structures are used in the boating world to carry sailing yacht keels, that are subject to loads that would shred any trailer, so it is only a matter of designing the laminate to carry the load. .
I'd point out that the difference in the case of a boat is that "contact area" of the stressor (the water) is spread evenly across the keel surface.

That seems very different to me from this design, where the tongue for example will be simply bolted directly through the floor, stopping at some point well before the axles. I s'pose some engineer has worked out all the numbers, but my uneducated eyes see that as a "leverage" point right where one wouldn't like to have it.

I, too, am looking forward to see the first built model- I'm going to be in the Bend area in a couple of months and HOPE the prototype will have rolled off the assembly line by then!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #118

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Introducing Nest Caravans

Actually the forces from the lead keel are transferred to the fiberglass through the keel bolts. Think about when the boat runs aground, the mud stops the keel which brings the boat to a halt in a few feet by giving a big 'whoa' to the keel bolts.

The Nest design looks innovative, no reason it can't be as strong as a conventional steel frame with proper stress analysis.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #119
Commercial Member

Registry
Hi everybody. Quick update on our progress...

Bryan Thompson has added some nice "automotive" styling details to our design, and we're currently hard at work finessing the engineering to accommodate the new look.

Couple notes of interest: we're switching over to a Kinro window that has a very clean "frameless" look — again, very automotive in its styling. And, we are very seriously considering adding up front (as an option) a retractable, "ragtop" moonroof — for sleeping under the stars!

We haven't made an "official" announcements about the re-design on our website yet, but I'm happy to let you guys take a peek at where we're at, as of this writing. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
NewNestRJ.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #120

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Robert,
As always you do quality work. I have seen some of your redos on older FG trailers the work is top line.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote