Introducing Nest Caravans - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Introducing Nest Caravans

Hello friends,

After a few early stumbles, several design evolutions and literally thousands of hours of effort, we are now officially announcing the launch our new fiberglass travel trailer company, Nest Caravans.

We admit that some design and marketing choices defined by our premiere model will not appeal to everyone. But we have high hopes that its sophistication, innovation and quality will find its niche within the marketplace.

We begin the manufacturing process with the creation of patterns and molds within the next two weeks. If all goes according to plan, we should have prototypes built by end of January, 2014. Sales commence next spring.

If you have any interest in learning more, we invite you to visit our website for details: Nest Caravans | Home

And of course, we would very much appreciate your feedback.

Robert Johans
Attached Thumbnails
3-4front2_FGforums.jpg   3-4 back_FG.jpg  

Attached Images

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Looks nice. But $30,000 is way too expensive for me. Good Luck in your endeavor.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post Forum Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
Do not post the same discussion topic more than once or in several areas of the forum.
I merged these posts into one Forum.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Very interesting concept, Robert. It looks like a lot of attention has been paid to detail. Lots of great ideas incorporated, and it looks great too.

I like the idea of the unibody design. What have you done to give it it's strength?

Is there any insulation included with the hull liner, and any options for dual glazed widows, for those of use regularly camping in colder environments?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
True $30k is somewhat high, but there is intro pricing with $6k discount, bringing it down to $24k. I see a lot of thought has gone into the components vs off the shelf items. Very impressive.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Registry
Hi Jim, thanks for your reply.

Due to the design of the shell and the infusion molding process which utilizes composite materials of about 2" thick (no chopper guns!), our floor has been engineered to provide incredible rigidity and load-bearing capabilities.

Under the Hulliner will be Prodex Ad 10 insulation, and yes, dual-glazed windows will become available.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Interestingly, I have a Nest Thermostat. http://www.nest.com
Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I think they look really nice -- great job! I love that rear-entry design and have often wondered my more trailers weren't designed that way. Anyways, if I didn't already have an egg, I'd definitely consider one of these. LOVE the interior height and the queen size bed. What luxuries!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Registry
Hello Harley,

Of course we really struggled with the high price tag, but with so many upscale features, we could not make things pencil otherwise. As it is, Nest will be some $12 — 14K below the cost of a similarly-sized Airstream, and if I am not mistaken, not too far off the cost of the original Oliver.

Our experience at The Egg Plant convinced us that there was a market for an upscale compact and lightweight trailer. Many of our customers bemoaned the fact that their trailer was originally built so cheaply. Our goal is to minimize compromise and address those concerns with a product that is thoroughly vetted for quality and value.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Registry
Thanks Steve and Rosemary.

In the early days, several manufacturers — Hunter, Trailswest Campster, Compact, and others — featured a rear entry.

Some folks prefer a side entry for a more direct access to the campsite. However, providing a queen-size bed AND a shower-enclosure within a 13' cabin dictated much of the overall design of the Nest.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Now thats one sweet looking trailer Robert!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy Could it possibly be 14" shorter overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Of course we really struggled with the high price tag, but with so many upscale features, we could not make things pencil otherwise. As it is, Nest will be some $12 — 14K below the cost of a similarly-sized Airstream, and if I am not mistaken, not too far off the cost of the original Oliver.

Our experience at The Egg Plant convinced us that there was a market for an upscale compact and lightweight trailer. Many of our customers bemoaned the fact that their trailer was originally built so cheaply.
Quote:
However, providing a queen-size bed AND a shower-enclosure within a 13' cabin dictated much of the overall design of the Nest.
Quote:
And of course, we would very much appreciate your feedback.
I can appreciate all of the thought that went into this product!

Many existing trailer designs with 13' cabins are only 16' overall. Here in California, there is a HUGE cost disparity between licensing a 16' trailer vs. licensing a 17' 2" trailer. A California PTI license amortizes out to a flat $2 per year. But it is limited to 16' overall while anything over that increases licensing cost 500% or more at your price point. This is a significant factor in the calculus of total cost which could have mitigated the sticker shock.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Comments and ideas.....

Rear entry door designs rule.... it is the best way to maximize space utilization. Excellent floor plans result. Bed size is super, a real selling point.

You could make 1/2 of that beautiful bed fold forward for a 2 person dinette to get eating and socializing out of the cooking area.

A Cassette toilet would be tons nicer, porta-potties are soooo 1990

Nose cone is cute, but could be a separate items, ala early BigFoot, as it is subject to damage while connecting etc.

Including euro items seems nice, but experience has shown that getting parts and service, especially while on the road can become a PITA.

Portable horizontal LP Tanks usually have to be removed to be filled, is your LP tank portable or permanently mounted.

Can't express how concerned I would be about a frameless design and I am sure the competition will be quick to make hay of it.....

IMHO: At least 1/4 of the Airstreams price is paying for the prestige and image that comes with owning an Airstream, a hard point to sell against with a new product.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #14

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Really beautiful design Robert!
I especially like the front lounge option.

Best wishes on your business adventure.
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Very cool looking! Best of luck in your endeavor!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Registry
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughtful comments.

Obviously, we will have much to learn as we go forward, so we intend to keep our ears and minds wide open...
Old 10-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Luv the look.... especially the aerodynamic, split window front end. Suggest you connect the Nest to a classic 63 Corvette coupe as your advertising photo.

Also like the large bed, Hi tech features, and the quality suspension/axle. Would like to see the trailer sit a little lower. Maybe a lower profile tire would do the trick. A lower center of gravity improves towing stability IMHO.

Looks like a top quality product. Hope it works out for you.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Really very nice style and looks like it would be very comfortable and spacious for the size . Has a look of quality .... Nice !
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
All I can say Robert is WOW.
The innovation, quality fixtures and design are inspiring.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Very sleekly European in styling! I can see where the Airstream 16' Sport Bambi might be your competition. You have designed a really beautiful high-end camping trailer which will appeal to those with money to spend on the finer things in life. It would be really nice, as an owner, to know every detail has been attended to and that one would not need to jerry rig, "make do" or adapt anything.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote