Introduction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 01:51 AM   #1

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
Question Introduction

Hi.... I am Carolyn, I live in western Washington.
I just decided I really want an RV.... but before I had that "revelation" I had just purchased a new 2015 Forester. Then I discovered that its tow weight is only 1500 lbs. So I have been investigating the option of a Scamp and have joined their FB page.
I am interested in learning about any other options that will work for me.... so far looking at the 13 ft. Scamp.
I was hoping for a bathroom, but now think I would rather have the extra seating / sleeping space.
Any advice is welcome... i.e. other brands to look at, etc.
I have LOTS of questions for you more experienced people.
Carolyn N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:37 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Welcome to the forum !

I suggest you familiarize yourself with how much tongue (hitch) weight as well as total weight your Subaru can handle. The published weight for any trailer is "dry" meaning no accessories, water, propane, food or gear.

For example the manufacturers published weight for my trailer is 2100 total pounds with 230 pounds on the tongue. The actual weight of my trailer is 3500 pounds with 400 pounds on the tongue. In other words the manufacturers published weight is usually a joke. Lots of forum members tow with a Subaru but they have to be very aware of both REAL tongue and total weight. Some small trailers do not have brakes but I strongly suggest them.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Manufacturers have, in the past, been guilty of fudging on weights, usually quoting empty, bare bones units, but what Jack L is reporting is well above the usual differences.

The chart in the chat forum, showing actual, real world, weights, lists two Bigfoot trailers, both labeled as 17.5', (but I suspect that the first one is actually a 17'). Their loaded axle and hitch weights were 2600/380 lbs. and 4040/360 lbs.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

The 17.5', 2500 series Bigfoot gained substantial weight over the earlier 17' 1500 series,due, in part, to the all weather insulation package. If Jack's has that it, would explain some of the additional weight.

The current Bigfoot factory page shows base weights for the 2500 series 17.5' unit from 3018 to 3275 lbs., with hitch weights at 315 lbs. Based on the real world numbers for the 2nd 17.5 foot loaded, this sounds reasonable.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn N. View Post
Hi.... I am Carolyn, I live in western Washington.
I just decided I really want an RV.... but before I had that "revelation" I had just purchased a new 2015 Forester. Then I discovered that its tow weight is only 1500 lbs. So I have been investigating the option of a Scamp and have joined their FB page.
I am interested in learning about any other options that will work for me.... so far looking at the 13 ft. Scamp.
I was hoping for a bathroom, but now think I would rather have the extra seating / sleeping space.
Any advice is welcome... i.e. other brands to look at, etc.
I have LOTS of questions for you more experienced people.
Welcome to thee group Carolyn.... You will find lots of information and help here for your search for the best FGRV for you.

Just to add a bit:
1. It appears that your Subaru has a 1500 lb towing capacity with trailer brakes, it is somewhat lower without trailer brakes, check your manual. And it has a tongue weight limit of 174 lbs., which is good because it is more than the recommended 10% of trailer weight minimum. As these are numbers found on the internet, be sure to check your owners manual for accurate figures for your vehicle.

2. Keeping a 13' FGRV below 1500 lbs, can be a challenge, but it can be done. In the General Chat forum there is a chart of real world trailer weights you might want to look over:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/trailer-weights-in-the-real-world-43010.html

3. The 13' Scamp w/bathroom will go over your numbers, especially the tongue weight. In short, a bathroom and under 1500 lbs. are mutually exclusive in most trailers except for the fairly rare Hunter Compact-II (1971-1974) and that bathroom is barely big enough for a chipmunk.

BTW: We have had both, a 13' Scamp with bath and a 13' Bigfoot without, we sold the former to buy the latter due to the loss of space with the bathroom.

Good Luck Hunting and Ask lots of questions.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good information from Bob. Just to add- Scamp provides a hidden, floor-level, slide-out storage compartment for a porta-potty in non-bath models.

Given your very limited towing capacity, a Hunter Compact Jr. is worth considering. It's one of the lightest 13'ers, it's both narrower and lower than a Scamp (thanks to a pop-up section on the roof) for less aerodynamic drag, and it has a nice large bed. It's only for two people, though, and they were made in the 70's, so you're looking at a vintage unit. I've seen some nice ones from time to time. It's similar to the Hunter Compact II Bob mentioned but a bit more basic.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #6

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Question....has anyone ever considered taking the bathroom OUT of a trailer? I just have the toilet and have thought about it. How problematic would that be?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Welcome
I think everyone has offered great ideas/suggestions regarding towing
I have towed a scamp with and without brakes..... I would most definitely go with brakes
But my other suggestion is to try and find a fiberglass rally ( click on the rally section)to attend, this would give you a chance to check out a scamp and many others
It also would give you a chance to ask alot of questions regarding towing, space utilization and you met some great folks
Good luck in your search

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #8

We removed the loo and holding tank from out Hunter and converted the bathroom into much needed storage space with a porta potty, on a sliding track, at the bottom. Here is what that looks like before and after:

Old 10-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Thanks for joining Carolyn
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote