Introduction - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #1

Name: Danny
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Introduction

Hi, I am Danny L and a new member to this forum from North Carolina. I have recently begun the possibility of purchasing a fiberglass RV. One question I have is about tire blow outs. I recently read a post from a gentleman who said that the axle on his rv broke and the tire blew. The result was a very serious accident. Do any of you have concerns about this happening, or am I being overly concerned?

Thanks for any advice. Danny L.
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Axle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
Hi, I am Danny L and a new member to this forum from North Carolina. I have recently begun the possibility of purchasing a fiberglass RV. One question I have is about tire blow outs. I recently read a post from a gentleman who said that the axle on his rv broke and the tire blew. The result was a very serious accident. Do any of you have concerns about this happening, or am I being overly concerned?

Thanks for any advice. Danny L.

----------------------------------------------------------

Tire blowouts are a common occurrence on trailers if you run on old tires or tires with the wrong pressure or that are not inspected regularly or are carrying excessive loads. Axle failure is rare and can usually be prevented by proper maintenance. Wheel bearing failure is a possibility and can cause loss of a wheel. I have never heard of an accident caused by axle failure. Maybe the gentleman with the 'axle failure' was speaking in general terms about anything on the axle? David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Danny L, would really be interested in knowing the specifics of incident you mentioned. The axle shouldn't fail as long as properly maintained, i.e., replace tires that are worn damaged or older than 5-7 years, have the wheel bearings serviced and axle spindles inspected on a regular basis.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've read about axle problems on big travel trailers, such as bent or misaligned causing excess tire wear and failure. Also leaf spring issues like shackle wear. I recall a thread here about a Scamp 19 losing it's axle due to mounting failure.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If you think about it, the axle and hubs/brakes are the only mechanical parts of the trailer. While "things" do happen, they are rare and can usually be prevented with regular maintenance.

We had to replace the axle on our Casita after a tree almost cut it in half. That damage was not obvious but diagnosed over time by unusual tire wear. We did not let it go long enough to cause a flat or blow out, so no additional damage was done.

What I'm saying is, don't let this concern keep you from acquiring a trailer and enjoying the adventure. Once you find the one that suites you, just do regular maintenance and be observant as you travel.
Dave Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Before we go out on any trip, my husband conducts a through inspection to make sure there isn't a problem!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
...I recently read a post from a gentleman who said that the axle on his rv broke and the tire blew. The result was a very serious accident. ..
Yes please do provide a link to that post. Axle failures are uncommon.

Tire failures, on the other hand, do happen. Sometimes due to manufacturing defects but most often due to owner neglect. Proper tire and wheel maintenance along with replacement every 5-7 years will prevent the vast majority of problems but the problem is that many people dont pay enough attention to their tires and wheels. I also advocate the use of a TPMS as a further bit of insurance against unexpected failures.

There will always be some risk involved when traveling so proper insurance is also a good idea, but I have the idea that I will never use it because I work very hard to prevent accidents. I would not let the small amount of risk slow you down.

BTW, if you are near Charlotte / Stateville and want to see a Scamp and maybe have someone talk your ears off about the pros and cons of the brand, send me a PM.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree that axles generally don't just break. There was an unusual situation involving Scamp axles in the early and mid-2000's. It was not the axles but the frame attachment that failed and improper installation at the factory was to blame. Actual failures on the road were rare; most were caught in inspections and repaired. I would certainly inspect the frame and axle mounts carefully on any used trailer, and especially a Scamp 16' or 19' of that vintage.

Threads about the Scamp issue:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-31032.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-55260.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mps-78830.html

Bearing failures can also cause serious damage and occasionally accidents. Regular bearing maintenance is part of trailer ownership. Unlike automobiles, trailers tend to sit for long periods, which is hard on running gear.

Tire blowouts are most often a failure of the tire itself and caused by age, poor maintenance, or road hazards. They are are a serious concern and cause accidents and serious trailer damage. Single axle trailers are more vulnerable to catastrophic loss of control in the event of a blowout.

Good tires and regular maintenance (including daily pressure checks when traveling) improve your odds considerably. Use of a TPMS on the trailer can give additional warning and peace of mind.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote