It's finally time! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

Name: Brian & Liz
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Indiana
It's finally time!

Hello from southern Indiana :-)

It's finally "our" time and we can't be more excited! We've been on the road quite a bit the last several years as traveling artisans but we've never owned a camper. And now we can, yeah! We are actively shopping as we'd like to head to the southwest in early December. We really like the Bigfoot 17.5's and 21's. Our tow vehicle is a 2003 Chevy 1500 extended cab with 4wd. Between looking for our camper, a good gps for older eyes, learning about campgrounds and discount camping fees our heads are spinning a bit. Lot's to learn!

With Kindness,

Brian & Liz
Brian in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Brian & Liz!

Bigfoots are very nice trailers for long-term use. Finding either on a short timeline will be a challenge akin to sighting their namesake.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
yep

Don't ever put yourself on a short time-line that is when those underhanded sellers will work you over.

You find you got took what then? Big loss spend bigger money on repairs! Be very careful!

Don't rush into this! Jon has good advice!!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:56 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Bob, fortunately for the OP, scams involving the newer Bigfoots are not nearly as common as the smaller eggs. The main difficulty is there just aren't very many out there, and the market is moving into the slow season for RV sales.

But of course, use caution and common sense when buying long distance. Never buy sight unseen. If you can't get there to inspect a trailer yourself, hire a local RV repair service to do it. Most places, this is their slow season, too.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #5

Missouri
buying

Jon I disagree with you I have bought many cars sight unseen including 2 trailer rigs. Not a bad deal in any of them but you know pride I might not reveal my bummers.

The last 2 trailers were gems had to drive 350ms to get them paid a deposit up front I was so impressed by both of them and the owners stories. I listed my A-Liner got a buyer from Dallas Tx he brought me cash and Dallas is 10 hours from me. He told me he was impressed by my honesty and of course B/S!

The last 13f Scamper is a 95 that is what 22 years old in my eyes its almost perfect. I did changes and touch ups to suit us for someone else the way it was might have been perfect but I wanted a place to set down.

If I was looking for a trailer I would buy yours why? Because you know how to post pictures and are honest I can tell that!

Maybe if I was throwing out 15 to 20k I would be more careful. Oh did I say I have a bummer Ford Edge here I hate paid 20k for it. I will make do but its not the car it was advertised to be I went to all places Detroit Mi. does this tell you anything? But if I sell it I wont get hurt too bad its a 2015 with 10k on it now!

Maybe its my background but I made some swinging deals at times in my 40 year carreer of selling and owning a small business but I don't know too much about human nature and I could afford a loss sometimes. Did I tell you I know about losses? I have had some biggees took me awhile to work them out but in end nothing goes into the grave but you!

In the late 80s everyone was cranking up the banks were giving away money! Oh did I say they wanted it back? They might go bust 3x but those records were always there. I spent many a sleepless night trying to work out my problems and finally did but oh the headache!!

Life at 75 is now all good I want more fun!!

bob
Old 10-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

Indiana
Thanks guys.

Buyer beware indeed! We can't afford a lemon, or one needing a lot of repairs. That said, we will travel for a good one that's in our price range, and we'll use the inspection checklist and ask lots of questions.

I've been talking with Liz this morning as I noticed the rally at Brown County State Park is rhis weekend. I have to work, but she may be able to get up there tomorrow. I hope so. It would be a great help for her to see a number of different trailers and talk with the owners about them.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #7

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
Hi Brian
For your info
There is a 17" Bigfoot in Parksville on Vancouver Island for $6,900. A 1990.
Was in Vernon last week. The dealer there has a new 21" for $60,000.
You will find what your looking for.
Good Luck
Murray
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
I have a randmcnally 7" 730 gps (truckers unit) available.
Bbc ii
706/782/6379
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #9

Missouri
murray I would jump on the 6900 deal probable offer 6 to see if it would float at the end of the season!

bob
Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Be aware that the older B17's may not have the four season upgrades that the newer B17.5, B21, and B25's have. Depending on your plans, that may or may not matter.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #11

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
Gentlemen
I just bought a 1976 Ventura for myself.
I thought Brian might be interested in this 17' Bigfoot in Parksville.
Let me know.
Take care
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #12
rad

Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
I was wondering about that four season package on older 17' Bigfoots, I'm also in Arizona and was tempted by a 17' (thinking I wouldn't have to winterize, and extend the season) although I already own a 98 17' Casita LD, with what your saying maybe I'm wrong?
Randal
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
I was wondering about that four season package on older 17' Bigfoots, I'm also in Arizona and was tempted by a 17' (thinking I wouldn't have to winterize, and extend the season) although I already own a 98 17' Casita LD, with what your saying maybe I'm wrong?
Randal
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. "Winterizing" usually refers to the process of draining and protecting plumbing from freezing temperatures when in storage. "Four season" trailers have certain features to protect the plumbing and make them easier to heat while being used in sub-freezing temperatures, but they still have to be winterized in storage.

As I understand Bigfoot badging, trailers and truck campers designated as 2500 series units have four season upgrades, including extra insulation, dual pane windows, and enclosed holding tanks. Those designated 1500 series do not. I know all the newer units badged as 17.5's (as well as the 21's and 25's) have the four season upgrades, but I'm not sure about the older 17's. Dual pane windows would be a clue.

Hopefully a Bigfoot owner will be along to clarify.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
rad

Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
You answered it all, thanks Jon.
Randal
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are often Bigfoots listed in the Seattle area craigslist. Be sure to check the section for "trailers" as well as the section for RVs. Sometimes you find them listed in one, sometimes in the other.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Welcome😀
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Jon I disagree with you I have bought many cars sight unseen including 2 trailer rigs. Not a bad deal in any of them but you know pride I might not reveal my bummers.

The last 2 trailers were gems had to drive 350ms to get them paid a deposit up front I was so impressed by both of them and the owners stories. I listed my A-Liner got a buyer from Dallas Tx he brought me cash and Dallas is 10 hours from me. He told me he was impressed by my honesty and of course B/S!

The last 13f Scamper is a 95 that is what 22 years old in my eyes its almost perfect. I did changes and touch ups to suit us for someone else the way it was might have been perfect but I wanted a place to set down.

If I was looking for a trailer I would buy yours why? Because you know how to post pictures and are honest I can tell that!

Maybe if I was throwing out 15 to 20k I would be more careful. Oh did I say I have a bummer Ford Edge here I hate paid 20k for it. I will make do but its not the car it was advertised to be I went to all places Detroit Mi. does this tell you anything? But if I sell it I wont get hurt too bad its a 2015 with 10k on it now!

Maybe its my background but I made some swinging deals at times in my 40 year carreer of selling and owning a small business but I don't know too much about human nature and I could afford a loss sometimes. Did I tell you I know about losses? I have had some biggees took me awhile to work them out but in end nothing goes into the grave but you!

In the late 80s everyone was cranking up the banks were giving away money! Oh did I say they wanted it back? They might go bust 3x but those records were always there. I spent many a sleepless night trying to work out my problems and finally did but oh the headache!!

Life at 75 is now all good I want more fun!!

bob
Funny
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #18

Indiana
Thank you, everyone.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #19
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Brian & Liz!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #20

Indiana
Thank you all for the replies. There is a lot to learn about so many different things.

Sadly, after looking really hard at our finances and what we'd need to sacrifice, the newer Bigfoot trailers are out of our reach. Are there 4 season trailers in the $10,000 range which are more preferred than others? 2 midlife people and 2 dogs. The 13 foot trailers look too small for all of us to spend much time in.

Back to reading...

With Kindness,

Brian & Liz