I've joined the club - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2022, 06:41 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
North Carolina
I've joined the club

Hi all. I am a recent owner of a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr., and have already used this forum as a resource in doing my research. I wanted to join because I'm sure I will have questions.

Like...I'm getting around to doing deep dives on the camper now to see what need serious maintenance. The person I bought it from had it for 5 years and it was "restored" by someone prior. I wouldn't call it a thorough restoration but it is what it is. One thing that bugs me - the axle and springs are original. The axle is a spring axle with a 4" drop. It looks to me like the tire tread is good and is being worn down evenly. The leaf springs look ok as far as I can tell. 50 years seems a bit old for these parts though.

A drop axle is a requirement. A straight axle would lift the camper and prevent me from easily getting it in and out of my garage - one of my requirements in getting it. If I do replace it, would a 3500 be too much? This is a light weight trailer and ordinarily I'd get 2000 but I can't find that option. I would probably get 2000 leaf springs. Also those are an odd size - 27" - which is another reason I'm hesitant to do this immediately.

I'm kind of hoping I can take it on a few trips before really tackling this if I need to. Looking for thoughts and experiences with this. Thanks!
jpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:55 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
If the tire wear is even and the shackles and pins are not loose or noisy, I'd be good to go. Trailers aren't normally used like an everyday driver vehicle so the wear is not so frequent. Problem with torsion axles is the rubber gives out over 10 years or so - but not leaf springs. If in doubt take it to a suspension shop to take a look or better yet a trailer maker.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuckett View Post
If I do replace it, would a 3500 be too much? This is a light weight trailer and ordinarily I'd get 2000 but I can't find that option
If you were talking a torsion axle, I would say 3500# was way too much, especially for such a light trailer. But since the springs are what matter in this case. Having a beefy axle will not be an issue. Get an axle that either has brakes, or the plate that allows them to be installed later.

However, why replace it? If the ends are in good condition, it should be fine. Inspect the ends of the axle before you spend any money and make your decision after that. Changing the bearings is much less expensive than a new axle.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:28 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A 3500# axle has 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern and 10 inch brake drums. 14 or 15 inch wheels would be necessary. The physical weight difference of the actual axle tube is not much.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:07 PM   #5

Name: Len
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Connecticut
I have the same trailer, 71or72 Compact Jr. Though it's had some mods over the years. I would love to see photos of yours.

no need to change out the axle or the springs unless there is obvious issue, bent, cracked or worn.

I would pull the hubs, clean and inspect the bearings, races and spindles. If it all looks good, repack and reassemble.
Len Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
North Carolina
Thanks all. And yes I'll get some photos out eventually. My next challenge is to figure out what to do with the drain from the sink.
jpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:07 PM   #7

Name: Len
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Connecticut
My sink drains out the side of the trailer. I went to the Home Depot and found fittings so I could connect to a short piece of garden hose, that just drains into a five gallon plastic can that I use as gray water tank.
Len Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:00 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Check rules at campgrounds; many no longer allow bucket drains that could overflow onto the ground. Has to be a closed container.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote