Jelly Bean - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 07:29 PM   #1

Name: Luis
Trailer: Uhaul ct13
Georgia
Talking Jelly Bean

Hello, we are the new proud owners of a 1984 Uhaul CT13. We picked it up this weekend. (04/17/2021) Her name is Jelly Bean.

It needs the following.

-window seals and windows rebuilt.
-new interior and exterior paint. (thinking about going back white or a metallic silver)
-interior remodel.
-frame has the usual rust so will be fixing that.
-need a rock cover for the front window.
-it came with the original? solar panel and would like to keep it.(please let us know if this is original)

Modifications

-I work in a Fabrication shop as a Draftsman and I ran into some pictures of a CT13 with an exoskeleton and I will be making my own version of that to hold our kayaks as well.
-Want to make a custom rear bumper that will hold the extra tire and our bikes.
Also saw a under the frame cargo storage from the Armadillo trailers that we might incorporate.

We have been tent camping for a while and loved it but wanted something that would be comfortable year round and wasn't massive. After a lot of research and wanting to build a teardrop, we luckily ran into our CT13 on craigslist and we pulled the trigger. The guy was nice enough to hold it for us as it was a 3 hour drive for us and he had a ton of people interested.
$3,600 later we owned our first camper.

We already have two trips booked. The first will be this June at the "Eggs on the Hiawassee River Rally" we are excited to meet community members and learn more about these campers.
Attached Thumbnails
20210417_190546.jpg   20210417_190551.jpg  

20210417_190603(0).jpg  
J.BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The original solar panel has very little output. It was only to keep the battery charged when the trailers sat on the rental lot. If your frame has rust through, and you want to make a rear tire carrier and other modifications best figure on fabricating a whole new frame. The original frame is poorly designed as are other features of those trailers. Add in the proprietary parts and other parts that are long out of production and you'll have a challenging project. We had a CT13 Haul for several years, did a lot of work on it, finally bought a Casita 17 and sold the Uhaul. There is a good facebook group for the Uhaul campers that has a lot of good info in their "files" section. Also some good info here in the document center. Note that if yours has the original axle, it will have sealed bearing hubs that are not serviceable, and no easy way to add brakes. If you rebuild or fabricate a frame, replace the axle. Even the Uhaul wheels are odd. EDIT: that bumper is aluminum, and another unique part that another Uhaul owner would probably pay a lot for.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

Name: Luis
Trailer: Uhaul ct13
Georgia
The frame luckily is no issue as we can bend standard handrail tubing to replace whatever tube is rotted out and I can add any structural steel that is needed within reason. As far as the axle goes im planning on upgrading with a different more serviceable axle.

I was hoping that solar panel would be more use than it is for looks haha.

The individual we purchased it from did mention the facebook group and we are going to have to check it out. Weve been getting quotes to get it painted and its looking like we are going to do it ourselves. (wish us luck)

For any light that may need replacing there is enough on the camper that I plan to 3D model in CAD software and try to duplicate and 3D print it out. We are going to start a thread and we hope everyone enjoys it.

As for the bumper, a friend did mention on holding on to it, we dont plan on selling it but we dont have much room for storage so it might be a great way of getting funds for the project, still undecisive about it. If we need to upgrade to a bigger camper like yall did than we would still keep it just for sentimental reasons, unless an offer is too good to pass up.

Thank you very much for the info. we greatly appreciate it!
J.BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:34 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
After we bought our Casita we kept the Uhaul for almost another two years, using it only for a couple vintage camper rallies. Got tired of the constant Uhaul questions, "where can I rent one, how much does it cost, I didn't know Uhaul rented campers" (we had installed the original decals) and decided there was no point in keeping it. We actually spent two winters in it on Jekyll Island before moving up to the Casita. On the other hand, no way would we sell our '46 teardrop, even though we haven't camped in it in a few years.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote