John from Seattle area, looking for fiberglass RV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
John from Seattle area, looking for fiberglass RV

Hi All !
I'm John and have begun looking for a small, lightweight camper like a Scamp or similar. I have a RAV4 as towing vehicle so limited to 1500 lbs.

I would love to see some of these but they are hard to find on the various RV dealers or online sales sites. Is there anyone in the Seattle area that has one of these types that I could come look at? I'd really appreciate it.

johnhed.wa@gmail.com
theheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Call Scamp and they will refer you to a local owner.

You are not going to find a molded FG trailer at an RV dealer except Bigfoot and maybe Parkliner. Most FG trailer companies sell factory direct.

There is a Trillium 4500 for sale right now down around Vancouver, WA. I’d go check it out.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
1500 lbs pretty much limits you to a basic scamp 13 and pack light.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
1500LBS???

It's pretty difficult to get any trailer house for around 1500 lbs. or less when loaded for camping. The weight of mine (13 standard Scamp) loaded for camping is 1700+ lbs.

I suggest you check out http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html to see what real weights are.

Remember that weights change with time. The longer you camp and more stuff you add (which you will) the more your trailer will weigh.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Having lived in Seattle for many years and camping in central WA, there are some steep mountain grades out there. The pull up Vantage grade on I90 east to west was particularly tough. I ended up upgrading tow vehicles a couple of times as I got sick of creating that hill at 29MPH!

I didn’t see your weight limit that Trillium is too heavy for you.

Purchasing a camping trailer can end up meaning purchasing a replacement tow vehicle too! The V6 SUVs tend to have better tow rating.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Even if you can manage to tow a trailer with that RAV, do you want to pay the maintenance bills that will surely follow?

My 2008 RAV4 V6 is rated to tow 3,500 lbs and support a tongue weight of 350 lbs.
That's the minimum I'd want for a tow vehicle.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Look for one of the vintage popup top FGRVs, those will be within the weight limitations of your vehicle. I have the same weight limit for my Honda Element. The standing head room under the pop up section is 6'3".

Name:   paint job w car xs.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  35.6 KB
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
John from Seattle area, looking for fiberglass RV

Not all of them. The Trailswest Campster (shown) and Hunter Compact Jr. are good candidates, but the Hunter Compact I and Compact II are larger, heavier trailers that won't make the 1500 pound cut (and they're wider, so more wind drag).

With any vintage trailer, you have to consider how any modifications may have affected the weight. Cabinets built like those at home, for example, can get very heavy.

It's not all-molded, but another trailer to consider is a vintage Eriba Puck (rare) or a modern knock-off, the Meerkat. Dry weight starts at about 900 pounds. They have a molded fiberglass roof (with pop top) but aluminum framing and skin on the walls.

You'll need 7-pin trailer wiring and a brake controller on the vehicle and brakes on the trailer. Many trailers this size don't have them. Finally, you'll probably want to install an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler.

In the end, it may actually be cheaper to upgrade to a tow-ready vehicle, and you'd have more trailer options.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
also, there's a range of smaller teardrops that are under 1500 lbs. these are little more than a bed with just enough headroom to kneel in the middle, and an outdoor kitchen. they usually don't have any water supply, use a portable stove and icebox, etc. they will have a minimal 12VDC electric system consisting of a few LED lights, and maybe a fan.

do note, if your vehicle's tow limit is really 1500 lbs, you probably want to shoot for closer to 1000 lbs to have some margins. a RAV4 is little more than a beefed up Corolla, the Honda Element is built on the Civic platform, as is the CRV
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
Hi John,
I have a fiberglass trailer rental in Seattle called Gogocamper.
Check us out at gogocamper.com We have Bolers, Trilliums, Burro's, an Amerigo, and a Beachcomber to check out we do rental and custom work.

Azur
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote