Just an old man and his dog... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 05:40 AM   #1

Name: J.D.
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 Layout 6
West Virginia
Just an old man and his dog...

We boon docked this past Winter on BLM land in AZ & SoCal in an old non-fiberglass Palm Aire trailer. This is a great site!

Had no idea there were so many different models and VERY surprised at the prices and how well they must hold their value.

Watching classified for small basic unit. Would like A/C and furnace; but not totally necessary. 4-Season would be nice. Small = "sleeps" one or two.

J.D. - West Virginia
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:16 AM   #2

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
We boon docked this past Winter on BLM land in AZ & SoCal in an old non-fiberglass Palm Aire trailer. This is a great site!

Had no idea there were so many different models and VERY surprised at the prices and how well they must hold their value.

Watching classified for small basic unit. Would like A/C and furnace; but not totally necessary. 4-Season would be nice. Small = "sleeps" one or two.

J.D. - West Virginia
😎You and your dog couldn’t go wrong with an Escape!
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:49 AM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Pre-owned prices

Quote:

J.D. - West Virginia
Yes, they do hold their value. It is not uncommon for a well maintained 20-year-old molded fiberglass RV to sell for the original new purchase price. At the same time, a 20-year-old stick built is being sold as a hunting shack.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
4 season would limit you to Oliver, Bigfoot of fairly recent vintage, and maybe a fully loaded Escape.

Walt
Old 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Florida
We are both 6 foot tall and not slender, but we go in all weather with our 1982 16 foot Scamp. Custom larger bed for our needs, but the Great Pyrenees takes up a lot of floor at night when we use th4e cassette potty. Also have a silky that wants lots of footroom on the bed for a 28 lb doggie. Use a portable propane hearet for cold (built in CO monitor and shutoff) with a Harbor Freight (or other) 2000 watt quiet generator to run AC which is a window unit we made a toungue rack for and fits in under the belt. WOnderful independence from tourist throngs.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #6

West Virginia
Thanks for you input. Yes, the Oliver... $$$ OUCH!
Old 07-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #7

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Durrstein View Post
We are both 6 foot tall and not slender, but we go in all weather with our 1982 16 foot Scamp. Custom larger bed for our needs, but the Great Pyrenees takes up a lot of floor at night when we use th4e cassette potty. Also have a silky that wants lots of footroom on the bed for a 28 lb doggie. Use a portable propane hearet for cold (built in CO monitor and shutoff) with a Harbor Freight (or other) 2000 watt quiet generator to run AC which is a window unit we made a toungue rack for and fits in under the belt. WOnderful independence from tourist throngs.

Interesting! Thanks! Is your Scamp insulated? Yes, I have the Harbor Freight 2000 generator - love it!
Old 07-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp water lines

Quote:
Interesting! Thanks! Is your Scamp insulated? Yes, I have the Harbor Freight 2000 generator - love it!
Remember that the Scamp drain lines are outside in the cold.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Florida
No insulation added yet. Perhaps a roof shade later in hot sunny areas.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #10

West Virginia
drain lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Remember that the Scamp drain lines are outside in the cold.

Yes. I was at 7 - 8,000 feet with 17F temps in the old stick built non-FG trailer this past Winter in CO. Knew to drain, purge, and add pink-stuff antifreeze.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #11

West Virginia
added insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Durrstein View Post
No insulation added yet. Perhaps a roof shade later in hot sunny areas.

May I ask HOW would you add insulation? Gut the Scamp to the walls first?
Old 07-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #12

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot 2003
Texas
Bigfoot cold weather

We have a 2003 25 ft Bigfoot, visiting friends in NM at about 6000 ft winter got down to 4 deg F. pipes initially froze while we were in their house but as soon as we turned on the installed furnace they thawed and RV was toasty.
Vicki Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
A Casita might do well for you. I have the furnace in mine, and use solar panels to recharge the battery. Solar will not run the AC unit so I do stop at cheap RV parks for hookups when on the road in hot weather. As for cold temps, I've spent many nights in Yellowstone and the Tetons in spring and fall and never had a problem. Sometimes the morning temp has been below 20º but it warms up sufficiently so Ive never had a problem with freezing pipes. I do put Reflectix on the windows at night. I have the furnace set for night tie temp f about 60, and maybe 65 in the day time in the mountains.

My Casita is the 17' one, with the larger fridge and more storage.
Jean Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #14

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Hi John,

Try a Scamp 13 - 16 foot TT. What is your TV? I have A Scamp 19' 5th wheel which I love. Weight is very slight and it trails my TV beautifully. Getting ready to head to PA next month to visit my sisters.

Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:53 AM   #15

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Cobb View Post
We have a 2003 25 ft Bigfoot, visiting friends in NM at about 6000 ft winter got down to 4 deg F. pipes initially froze while we were in their house but as soon as we turned on the installed furnace they thawed and RV was toasty.

From what I have read, YES the Bigfoot is well insulated. However... The cost is way beyond my budget.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2020, 04:59 AM   #16

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yank View Post
Hi John,
Try a Scamp 13 - 16 foot TT. What is your TV? I have A Scamp 19' 5th wheel which I love. Weight is very slight and it trails my TV beautifully. Getting ready to head to PA next month to visit my sisters.
Yank

Thanks for your comments/input. I am currently looking at a 16 Scamp. My TV is 2013 F-150 5.0L -- But, I am not inclined towards a 5th wheel. Much bigger than I want/need.

The Scamp is not well insulated / suited for cold Winters. Thinking about "how" I might add insulation.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:02 AM   #17

Name: MARY
Trailer: currently shopping
Springfield
Where did you boondock in AZ and SoCal?

Quote:

J.D. - West Virginia
Hi JD I'm new and just starting out. Would you mind sharing your favorite boon docking places in AZ and SoCal? I'll be traveling with my dog also and could use tips. Maybe see you on the road. I'm also looking for a small camping trailer.
Mary in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:04 AM   #18

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Clark View Post
A Casita might do well for you. I have the furnace in mine, and use solar panels to recharge the battery. Solar will not run the AC unit so I do stop at cheap RV parks for hookups when on the road in hot weather. As for cold temps, I've spent many nights in Yellowstone and the Tetons in spring and fall and never had a problem. Sometimes the morning temp has been below 20º but it warms up sufficiently so Ive never had a problem with freezing pipes. I do put Reflectix on the windows at night. I have the furnace set for night tie temp f about 60, and maybe 65 in the day time in the mountains. My Casita is the 17' one, with the larger fridge and more storage.

I have some experience with below freezing temps. Drained all plumbing, added RV antifreeze (the red stuff) and had no problems. Looking at 16' Scamp currently. Neither Scamp nor Casita are well insulated / suited for cold Winters. BTW, Reflectix has NO R-value; but, is great for reflecting the hot sun.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:27 AM   #19

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary in Ohio View Post
Hi JD I'm new and just starting out. Would you mind sharing your favorite boon docking places in AZ and SoCal? I'll be traveling with my dog also and could use tips. Maybe see you on the road. I'm also looking for a small camping trailer.

Hello Mary! I grew up on a farm just North of Wooster. RU near there?

Quartzsite, AZ (Google for all the RV related stuff) Has several Free BLM areas nearby. Small town; but, caters to the RV crowd and has all the stuff you might need. Water! Propane, dump stations, etc. They get 250 - 300,000 RV snowbirds there in the Winter - seriously.

From there head South 80 miles to Yuma, AZ. On the way is Mittry Lake - good spot / free. Then, I-8 West 15 miles to SoCal, another 10 miles and eexit onto Oligby Road right turn North 3 miles cross railroad tracks and then another 2 -5 miles. Everything on your right is Free BLM land. That was my fav spot all last Winter. VERY remote, few people. Need to drive back into Yoma for supplies: Water! Food, beer, etc. PM me if you would like more info.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A four-season unit is not required for winter camping in the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts, but it does make it more comfortable.

If you can find one, a nice used Bigfoot 17.5’ would not be terribly expensive and within the towing capabilities of your pickup. The B17.5 is available in several variations, and all have winter upgrades. Bigfoots are very well constructed. (Note that older B17’s are lighter and cheaper, but lack winter upgrades.)

Here’s a B17.5G from the sold archives:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...l-trailer-sale

If you let go of the four-season requirement Casita 17’s are plentiful, well-made, and comfortable for 1-2 people. The Freedom model has more comfortable indoor seating (for small-to-average-size people), a plus for long-term use.

Nothing wrong with a 16’ Scamp either.

Reflectix is a poor thermal insulator but an excellent radiant barrier. In addition to blocking sun in the summer, it’s great on non-thermal windows in winter to reflect heat back into the trailer to reduce propane and battery consumption by the furnace.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote