Just bought a Boler - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #41

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks Roy.

I have now duly bookmarked it!!!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #42
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
It is an absolute tickle to read how people are restoring Bolers . Have always thought them so so cute . When we were newly weds in 1969 we were looking for a small trailer , because my husband was a crop spray pilot and we were planing to spend about 6 months in it - found a 10 ft "Lil Loafer " for $500. ( big bucks back then) , the salesman showed us a new comer on the travel trailer scene the " Boler " , we would have loved to buy it - but at $800. it was just way too expensive ! So now I wonder if the thread starter here might just have that "Boler " !!!!
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
found a 10 ft "Lil Loafer " for $500.
Oh my stars, I haven't heard the words Lil Loafer in about four years! Check this out Bec... is it like yours (was)? Sorry to the OP for trashing the topic: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-32492.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #44
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh my stars, I haven't heard the words Lil Loafer in about four years! Check this out Bec... is it like yours (was)? Sorry to the OP for trashing the topic: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-32492.html
Couldn't actually pull anything up from that link - our first trailer the "Lil Loafer " was very small - the Boler was comparatively spacious ...and in 69 it was 3 or 4 years old ... It was not a fiberglass mold but aluminum - another trailer very similar in size and layout was called "Knight" . But we were just so impressed with that new Boler back then - and still often think should we find one and refurbish .... but alas -the time ......
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #45

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1968 Boler #40
Saskatchewan
Progress

Hey,.... thanks for the pics and ideas for a front dinette. This has to be the BEST FORUM !!!! ... I thank everyone for their ideas and suggestions !!!!

This project has been a lot of work but considering what its starting to look like it should be worth it and since this is my first camper. I have come to realize this 1968 is different then say then the newer bolers and requires more work in restoring...

Have to thank the guys a Team Trillium in Calgary - for my new flush fitting smev sink and grill.

I just have decided to make the back a complete bed but still make it versatile to change it back to the table and seating. The front I have change to a dinette and have been working on that and fiberglass detail on the outside... finally getting close to painting it completely in and out.

I will post pics in the next couple weeks!! Just wanted to say thanks again !!!

Ed
howIbole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #46

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I'm looking forward to the pictures and am curious about the reborn #40!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #47

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Getting it solid and usable is the best approach IMHO. Looks like you are well on your way toward that goal.

Once you start using it you will figure out what "you" need that was not how "they" did it back then. If you have to replace something consider what suits you. When it comes to the outside I tend to favor keeping the distinctive look of the different years. Not going to put "modern" windows in my old scamp, will do what it takes to fix the original.

Your Boler #40 looks really good so far. Congrats on your new project.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #48

Saskatchewan
Thanks,

I have decided to keep the side windows and find a original good door window. I'd like to keep it looking as much original. As far as the front and back window I have purchased tinted windows...which should look pretty cool. I just need to find roughly 25' of new rubber for the front and back windows.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #49

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howIbole View Post
I just need to find roughly 25' of new rubber for the front and back windows.
Scamp Trailers or a local auto glass / customization shop. Kevin61 posted a few videos on Youtube showing how he did his. Keep in mind he put the rubber with the strip facing in, unlike the rest of the world.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #50

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Thanks,

I have decided to keep the side windows and find a original good door window. I'd like to keep it looking as much original. As far as the front and back window I have purchased tinted windows...which should look pretty cool. I just need to find roughly 25' of new rubber for the front and back windows.
I found the same size seal that scamp carries at Speedy Auto Glass but it has the lockstrip attached. After installing it I found that the top of the window was a little flimsey, it was fairly easy to push out from the inside. My original seal was a little bigger and by luck I ended up finding the bigger seal so I tried it out. Window seems alot more solid but there are 2 small areas on the outside where the seal isnt sitting tight against the window. Not sure if the window was cut wrong originally (from the PO) or if the front and back cutouts are different sizes and I put the back window in the front cutout. I wont have a chance to play around with it for a couple of weeks but I ended up buying 75' of the larger seal.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #51

Saskatchewan
Update

... Can I quit ?? !

wow... this project has been alot to take on. I know why this 68 looks different and fiberglass on bottom doesnt flow up to the front tongue back hitch like the new ones. Well I fixed that! I added new fiberglass to all lower corner shaped and grinded- skim coat with bondo. What a difference.

Completed:

Registered as what it it should be a 1968

- Personalized license plate
- Finished the front dinette
- Painted the interior (left the original fiberglass interior - as it didn't have ensolite or whatever its called)
- Sealed the floor
- Primed exterior
- New tongue & jack
- New front & back tinted windows
- Fixed entrance wood floor & sealed
- POR 15 the frame
- New back lights

... going broke... haha lol

Finally ready for exterior paint !

So I have 2 questions ?????

1) New door handles ? where to buy from - vintage trailer???

2) Since the 68 had a different bumper that comes out (made out angle iron)
Does any one have a template of the round bumpers ?? Im thinking I would like to change it ... if not this year the next.

Thanks soooo much !!!

Ed
Old 06-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #52

Saskatchewan
Update pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	47956
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #53

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Wow !!! what an awesome paint job. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #54

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Exclamation Be careful 'gutting' your trailer

It is my understanding that many of the interior features, especially the fiberglassed ones ARE PART OF THE STRUCTURE of the trailer. Like an airplane body is part of its structure. These trailers are built for lightness and anything like seats, kitchen, or other FG'd parts are probably necessary for structural rigidity. Be very careful removing anything.

Just like Scamp doesn't install those two twisted columns because they look cool, they are necessary to prevent flexing of the top re the bottom.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #55

Saskatchewan
Structural integrity

I totally agree with Roger in keeping the structural integrity. I think ive even increased the overall strength in this reno project.

Is there anyone out there with a 1968 or 1969?
Since the roofs are flat, mine has a tapered wood piece behind the closet along the roof going across to the sink side to support the roof. Just wondering if anyone has changed it out and if so to what ??

Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #56

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Hi Ed, my '69 flat top has a curved square metal tube there to support the roof, exactly the same as on the hinge side of the door. Would you mind posting a photo of yours? I wonder if it is original or owner added.

The door handle is available from vintage trailer, scamp, paul neumeister and I'm sure others, just check the screw spacing. The handle looks exactly like most office supply cabinet handles, but they have a slightly different hole spacing.

I notice your door hinges are not the stamped metal type, but the more modern type, could you tell if they've been replaced?

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_3285_resize.JPG   DSC_3280_resize.JPG  

Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #57

Saskatchewan
Hey... Kevin... thanks for the pics, your boler looks awesome!

I like the metal tube, mine is just 1/4" thick wood exactly where your metal piece is positioned. I will take some pics soon, been too busy.

The hinges look like there have been replaced since there are the original holes from the original boler hinge to the new modern boler hinge..

I have picked up all new handles in and out from vintage trailer and new trillium hinges (the Kason #139) but just have to figure out what to use as a spacer for the hinge for the door to sit flush? metal spacer? rubber spacer?

Kevin just wondering in your '69 are the bunks in the front lower fiberglass? Mine where originally wood. I have replaced the front with a dinette with the same angles as the back seating areas. I just need to pick up a base and adjustable pole for the table.

I have also added a 30amp service from vintage trailer and electrical box so I can pull up to any campsite plus I am looking for AC to install where the furnace used to be under the sink... trying to keep everything compact.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #58

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Just wondering what kind of insulation people are talking about in the interior of the boler??? I don't have any insulation on mine, it just looks like fiberglass on mine.
I'm wondering if that is not some of the original ensolite shown in the rolls of this picture you posted earlier.

Quote:
I have picked up all new handles in and out from vintage trailer and new trillium hinges (the Kason #139) but just have to figure out what to use as a spacer for the hinge for the door to sit flush? metal spacer? rubber spacer?
The Kason # 139 comes in a variety of offsets. You can get them flush, but I would not recommend using either as they are meant for a straight door. Your boler has a curved door. The door and hinges will be fighting each other. That is why later bolers switched to the "ball and socket" type hinges (lack of proper terminology). You can get some of those from Scamp. Where you place them affects the spacing of the door from the belly band.

Outside Door Hinges
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #59

Saskatchewan
Sorry nope... that is thick lino the previous owner was going to use but removed it when I purchased the boler.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #60

Saskatchewan
Boler Hinges

So has anyone know the placement of the hinges?

Has anyone installed Kason #139 hinges on there boler??

They look like a great hinge and well built.

Im impressed with all the knowledge and experience people have with
Bolers !!

Thanks again for all the help with my project

Tags
boler